Rate the video games you're currently playing
Feb 13, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #6,301 of 6,924
Have managed to get going with Resident Evil Revelations 2 again. I got stuck many times, and gave up many times. Must have been a year since I last tried again with it. Then beat the enemy I was stuck on first go, but reloaded checkpoint to do it more ammo efficiently.

RER2 is a good game. I have played RE2 Remake, RE4, much of RE5, RE RE revelations, RE6, and RE7. .......... RER2 sticks in my mind as being one of the strongest, if you can master it. Problems lie with controls, and it takes quite some time to configure them in a good way. Even then it taxes the player, with either janky control sometimes, or in a boss fight realigning you camera. .. Yep, it will make you swear sometimes.

It all feels worth it though when you get playing and get some hours in. It's slam-dunk selling point is it's atmosphere. It is scary sometimes, and it's often a bit dark, or dank, or just grotty. ... There's just something in the atmosphere though, that is addictive and compelling.

There is one mechanic that makes it tricky to master. You play in pairs with an AI partner, and can swap between characters on the fly instantly. However you need to play much of the exploration with the unarmed character, because they spot hidden loot. Then switch to the armed character when enemies surprise you, and yes it can be awkward. ........ However you do get the hang of it.

The real crux of character switching though, is that the unarmed character can see weak points on enemies. It took me a long time to work that out, and I was always using up too much ammo. As if it wasn't hard enough already. ......... Anyways yesterday and today, I played quite a few hours. That alone feels like a revelation in itself, due to git-gud and compelling play. There is something over-eaching about the gameplay, and I can't put it into words. It's like the total is more than the sum of the parts. It feels right.

It's worth the money in a sale; and that's coming from someone who took 3.5 years to play 15.3 hours. Given it's old now, I think £8.50 for the game, plus £3.50 for Steam. ... Current sale price. Incidentally I think I paid that 3.5 years ago. Maybe look for a cheap key.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #6,302 of 6,924
Currently play Resident Evil 3 Remake, which is excellent and addicting. I like it even better than 2. 2 is great for those that prefer more puzzles, but I feel like 3 just has a better pace in it's story. It's quite addicting. I feel like Zombies, guns, and puzzles, you really can't go wrong. I have to give a lot of credit to those executed these remakes however. They did an excellent job!

I wish they make more RE games like 2 and 3 remake. It's a genre that really can't be wrong IMO. The Last of Us is in a similar genre, and it's also an excellent game.

This is the kind of experience I expect if I was wanting a movie like experience in a video game. It's just executed so well!
I'm in a RE binge right now. Just finished 3 yesterday. I loved the atmosphere and visually it was perfect. I'm torn between whether I liked 2 or 3 more, I'm leaning towards 2 though just because of the pacing. 3 was better looking and had better boss fights, but it was also more action than survival-horror. I'd rate RE3 8/10, and the only real complaints are it's too short (they removed a lot of content) and it leans a bit too heavy on action (too much Carlos) and too light on horror.

Trying to get through 4 now (ugghhh...hate the controls and graphics :frowning2: ), but I might end up skipping it and going straight to 5.

On the bright side they're currently remaking 4 but from what I've seen it might not be ready till late 2022 at the earliest (likely 2023 sometime). I'd keep an eye out on that, esp. if you like RE3 since I read the team that did RE3 is doing RE4 remake.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #6,303 of 6,924
I'm in a RE binge right now. Just finished 3 yesterday. I loved the atmosphere and visually it was perfect. I'm torn between whether I liked 2 or 3 more, I'm leaning towards 2 though just because of the pacing. 3 was better looking and had better boss fights, but it was also more action than survival-horror. I'd rate RE3 8/10, and the only real complaints are it's too short (they removed a lot of content) and it leans a bit too heavy on action (too much Carlos) and too light on horror.

Trying to get through 4 now (ugghhh...hate the controls and graphics :frowning2: ), but I might end up skipping it and going straight to 5.

On the bright side they're currently remaking 4 but from what I've seen it might not be ready till late 2022 at the earliest (likely 2023 sometime). I'd keep an eye out on that, esp. if you like RE3 since I read the team that did RE3 is doing RE4 remake.
I wish they redo RE1 instead. I didn't like 4 all that much. I like the first 3 the best and Veronica wasn't bad.

I wish they do a remake of MetalGearSolid.

Mar 10, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #6,304 of 6,924
Finished up Super Mario Odyssey. I don't think I've ever beaten a Mario game. Perhaps Mario 3 back in NES days. I played Galaxy awhile back during the Wii days, but didn't finish it for some reason.

There seem to have been quite a bit of changes to Mario games starting with Galaxy. Odyssey was mainly about collecting stars, so it's just finding hidden stars various parts of each level. Some of them are found with overcoming puzzles, and it's interesting. But, there really isn't much of a challenge with this game. It's quite easy. The bosses are easy to figure out, and doesn't take much to beat. So, I think the difficulty is most suited for children. I can't recall NES Mario being so easy actually. The game felt short as well. I think the gameplay is pretty much like Galaxy, and not much has changed.

I think the new elements they added to Mario felt gimmick, and not all that evolutionary in terms of gameplay. So, nothing new since Mario 64 I'd say. I feel the same about most recent Zelda games.

What I like about Mario games is that it feels very cozy and feels like comfort food when I play. It just has that comfort feel to the game when playing. But, now I feel like I'm too grown-up to appreciate Mario to the extent when I did when I was really young. I wonder if kids these days feels the game when playing Mario like we did when we were young.

I liked this sound-track in this level (Cascade Kingdom), and I wish they did more music in the game to get people into the groove of the game. This is the only level had an exciding sound-track, which was odd. This level got me all excited with the gameplay, and then the following levels felt very similar and bland after.

The above level transition and this soundtrack was perfect for introducing the start of the game. But, it kinda stopped there in terms of good music transitions. This is the track used. This is how much music has effect on the game.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #6,305 of 6,924
Started Child of Light from 2014. Stunning, stunning 2D graphics. The graphics looks like it was freshly water colored, and a live with the movements, and the differet layering movements. Stunning on 4K OLED.

Gameplay however is not so original, borrows from turn-based JRPGS. I wish UBI soft would take on more original projects like this one.

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #6,306 of 6,924
Started Child of Light from 2014. Stunning, stunning 2D graphics. The graphics looks like it was freshly water colored, and a live with the movements, and the differet layering movements. Stunning on 4K OLED.

Gameplay however is not so original, borrows from turn-based JRPGS. I wish UBI soft would take on more original projects like this one.

Child of Light is an excellent game. It's very engaging, and it's not too difficult. I'd highly recommend. The art and creativity of the game is mind-blowing! It's very well designed and crafted. My initial impression of the gameplay being same as old was wrong, it has it's own originality to it, and it works very well.

Very good music, although I would have preferred more tracks. Very well crafted music as well. This game as a whole feels artistic, like a true art.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #6,308 of 6,924
Replaying Quake 4, for the umpteenth time.

Damn this games shows up some modern shooters in some ways. Love all the blue lights, and other coloured lights, lighting, and sci-fi tech.

Never understood the argument against it. It's a good shooter. .. Some people never happy.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #6,309 of 6,924
Replaying Quake 4, for the umpteenth time.

Damn this games shows up some modern shooters in some ways. Love all the blue lights, and other coloured lights and lighting.

Never understood the argument against it. It's a good shooter. .. Some people never happy.

Just finished Quake 4. .....

They sure don't make 'em like they used to.

I hope if they ever continue the Quake series, that they don't make another arena shooter like Doom Eternal. ... I would like the Unreal series back too.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #6,312 of 6,924
So here I am with just about every serious driving sim on my PC, not to mention a good FFB wheel setup and I've spent most of the day playing....

....Circuit Superstars

As it's early access not all of the content in the trailer is in the game at the moment, but as it is it's addictive as hell, and I mean that. It's been a long time since a game has totally sucked me into a "one more go" loop.

If this was the final release I'd still recommend it.

Mar 28, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #6,313 of 6,924
Yesterday completed Serious Sam 4 for the third time. I liked it first time and just as much each replay. Gonna go out on a limb and say 8.5/10, however also explain why.

When I play SS4 (or SS3) I get absorbed in the fun and gunpay. These games make me switch off from life, and I feel relaxed afterwards. Not every game does that, because some are annoying, or have regular rubbish stuff. Those games I quit sort of stressed. ............. Whereas SS4 makes me feel right.

It's optimised now and runs Vulkan. That allows me to maximise settings and turn up customisable settings further.

SS4 does annoy me on some ways though. Like I am not keen on the vampires, since they are just a pain until they are gone. However add in this, the odd other new annoying enemy, ignore being annoyed, and it's a top notch shooter.

There are some excellent levels, e.g. the castle. The weapons rock. I prefer SS4 shoting to Doom Eternal shooting. I didn't like Doom Eternal, but preferring SS4 shooting is not biased. All other elements of Doom Eternal aside, I prefer SS4 shooting to Doom Eternal shooting. One apsect that reinforces this, is SS4 will give you ammo and let you get your guns off, and it is a blast. Doom Eternal makes you switch weapons more than fire them. Doom Eternal never gives you a thousand min-gun bullets and let you use them all at once, which SS4 does. Then SS4 lets you pick up more, or even lots more mini-gun rounds.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #6,314 of 6,924
Played Luigi's Mansion 3. This is the first Luigi's Mansion I've played, and I didn't think it meets the hype or ratings out there.

For a Switch game the graphics looks very good, but the gameplay is pretty basic, and get's bland real quick. There's puzzle elements in the game, and I didn't like the execution, but felt a bit drawn out in how it was handled. It feels drawn out to extended the game much longer than it should have been.

I feel like Nintendo ip getting bland as time goes on. There's so much you can do with them, and it's getting repetitive.

Apr 5, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #6,315 of 6,924
Played a bit of Disco Elysium, which has high ratings for reviews. Visually looks stylish, but the gameplay mechanics seems like a huge time-sink. It's a point and click exploration game made in a fashion of a digital novel. Very slow in the way the exploring progresses, and didn't like how much time it wastes. The characters moves very slows, and there's crap-ton of dialog you have to go through? Who has time for that? It seems like a huge waste of time!

To be honest, it seems like a boring slow game. I'd rather read a crime novel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back