Rate the video games you're currently playing
Mar 7, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #6,061 of 6,909
I didn't find this at all. As long as you ignore the yellow markers for the story missions, you're free to do whatever you want and take as long as you want doing it. The trapper challenges do encourage you to dive into many aspects of the game, and the other collectable strands also neccessitate/demand taking time out to explore. I did everything I needed to in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and spent 70 hours doing that. I'm now close to spending 700 hours in RDR2 and still have many hours until completion.

I get where you're coming from. I think what I mean as far as it's too story driven is that the whole aspect of wanting to be a good guy/bad guy and the honor system that is presented to you seems to be influenced way too heavily on the story missions. For example,
That mission where you break Micah out of jail in Strawberry and shoot up half a town and get a massive bounty on your head in that area.
I suppose I just use Skyrim as the baseline for a true free-roam game, which I admit is a little biased. But the missions in Skyrim felt less taxing and the exposition was strewn out over as long as you took to complete it. Now I don't have anywhere near 700 hours into RDR2, not even close, so I can't talk about the game too much, I haven't experienced all the freedoms there is to offer. I suppose this is more my opinion as someone who hasn't really gone too deep into the game yet, one thing I definitely wasn't too fond of was the introduction. How chapter one had you play through a couple hours of prologue before the free world opened up. I understand having a prologue to introduce you to the plot and the world but it just seemed a tad too much of a slow start.
Despite everything though I still think it's one of the best games I've owned in quite a long time. Including some newer AAA's that have come out I have to say that RDR2 is one of the best. I guess I just miss the original Red Dead Redemption, and I'm afraid of how much R* will invest into the multiplayer mode like they did with the Grand Theft Auto series. Hopefully it will stay tried and true for the future to come. I guess only time can tell, :)

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #6,063 of 6,909
I recently bought the Gears Of War: Ultimate Edition. (Windows 10 version.) Can't believe I paid £23 for it, but whatever.

It's still a good game, and looks good in the remastering. However sometimes it still looks very old.

It has some bad performance issues too. One being you have to set frame rate to unlimited or the highest setting, otherwise you get horrific stutter. (I think there is another alternative if you want to keep a lower frame rate limit. You might have to turn all other settings down.) It makes no sense, but my PC can easily max the game's settings. It's just that the frame rate limiter causes an issue.. … The other problem that the game has, are quite regular frame rate drops. These happens when the GPU and CPU are no where near maxed. There are forums full of folk trying to fix that.

In the end though, the game is playable and still worth playing. At the price I paid, I could not rate it very highly, for a mix of reasons. Firstly the price for a game with serious performance issues. (If you don't know to set frame rate limit to unlimited, then it's barely playable due to stutter.) Secondly because difficulty levels don't make sense. Hard difficulty setting is merciless. Then normal difficulty is a cakewalk. You're either screaming at it on hard, or bored stupid on normal.

Playing on hard means getting stuck at most checkpoints by dying a lot. It means that the bits of story in between are too far spread out by player checkpoint fury.

5/10.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #6,064 of 6,909
Gears of War 4. (PC windows 10) .........… 9/10.

Just a good game all round, for the Gears series and formula.

It didn't suffer the same problem that Gears 1 did, for me. On hard difficulty it was a fair and balanced play. Whereas Gears 1 was evil on hard difficulty.

Shame about the end boss fight which was hard to work out what to do. It didn't make much sense to me. Anyway, after a google I managed it not too painfully after maybe twenty goes in total.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #6,066 of 6,909
Tom Clancy: The Divison 2. ………...8.3/10
It's actually quite hard to rate, because sometimes I totally love it.

(Looks like they patched a bug that causes skills like turret deploy to cancel after just seconds. Not sure though.)

Quite a bit better than The Divison 1, in many ways, and fractionally worse in others.

Like side missions are no longer many 'go here - press F' quests. Missions are good, and combat is really good sometimes. D2 looks better by default, and more open. It's not claustrophobic and bit depressing, like the D1 map.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #6,067 of 6,909
The Division 2. Finished as far as end-game, and a bit further.

The main game is a blast. The main and side missions, and gunfighting, are all top notch. The world is gorgeous, the sound engineering is good, and it's all immersive.

It's mired by some daft decisions, like group-sets on armour. (Means we end up hoarding and checking all the time.) A.I. can see you through smoke and bushes, as always in games.

However I think I would only rate it up to the end of the main game. The end-game content just re-uses the same map and destinations and buildings. However there's just a new faction to sort out. The enemy numbers go up a lot, so you're running low on ammo a lot, and getting generally distressed. I have seen it said before that end-game content is uninspiring. That's how I find it, and I feel like the game ended with the main missions ending. The side quests and control points which we take over, are all quality. This adds up to a really good main game.

I think I got about sixty-two hours out of the main game. There seems to be quite a bit more to do with what they call World Tier levels. Just means you need to complete certain end-game mission, and have a certain gear score, to take on strongholds. However it just feels like mopping up again after the main game.

Div 2, is very hard to rate numerically. I loved it, but am feeling a little down on the end-game material. Only time will tell if the DLC are any good, to make it worth revisiting with the same character. Otherwise it's worth a replay sometime, with a new character and save slot.

I think I am going to say 7.7/10. ………. I would have said 8.4/10 without group-set armours parts, and having to pour long-time over statistics. … Really, The Division 2 is a have-to-play game. While a score of 8.4 at most may not seem like a must play game though, I had a blast with Div 2.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #6,068 of 6,909
Sekiro: Shadows Die 6 hundred million times

8/10

Extremely difficult. Harder than Bloodborne

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #6,070 of 6,909
Generation zero. Really hard game to rate because being so biased being swedish. It has the same garbage bins and other stuff from our summer house and recognize so much from the military service etc I get so grounded with the locations. They have done a stellar job with the environments... However it´s an indie title on a triple A graphics engine so it does show that there is limited resoursce. Mainly on the in door environments. Every house is the same pretty much. But it´s not a loot based dungeon title like elder scrolls it really don´t hurt it much. Loot does respawn. Still there is collectibles you can hunt if you wish that gives you xp and the feel of completion if you want that. But then I would not recommend getting this for that maybe shadow of the tomb raider :wink:

This title is certainly not for the attention span zero guys. There is seldom a rush anywhere even though you can be totally swamped by robots but I just love the world simulation. The sound through my HD 800S is pure magic. Never heard gun shots like this and all the sounds in the forest is really well done and love the synth soundtrack. It´s equally good on the ears as on the eye.

It´s the developers behind The Hunter series it´s not the Avalanche guys behind games like Just cause. The Hunter fans has a much bigger chance of enjoying this then Just Cause fans. I had a lot of fun with Just Cause 2 and 3 they both have their merits. I do feel the title is quite misunderstood maybe because most binds Avalanche to Just Cause franchise which is very action oriented. Or they expect more from the indoor environments or more phantastic less realistic missions. I would go nuts if I would try to be a completist and loot every house but there is no reason as loot respawns it´s never meant to be a looting simulator... I walk past most places. If there is collectibles or weapons to be found I do make an effort finding these. They are thankfully marked when you find a location so you know if there is special loot or not.

Things I would want to see. A stash would help me a lot. As it´s I am constantly walking around with full inventory. I maxed it out but I still have to prioritize what to carry. You can drop things on the ground but it´s not that safe.
Bug fixes is needed. It´s released a bit early for sure. I have a mission that is currently broken otherwise it hasn´t been that painful so far but you can count on a crash every 3h or so.

A very biased 9/10. It´s so unique I can´t get this with any other title I played. It´s empty yes but that is kind of the point with an apocalypse? Non swedish 7/10 may be overly generous.

Jus

Apr 1, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #6,071 of 6,909
Inventory management is one of the most annoying parts of some games, e.g. Elder Scrolls.

I know it's unrealistic to be able to carry almost unlimited inventory. However it's when they put extra qualities on items, and groupsets, then you end up holding on to kit.

Apr 1, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #6,072 of 6,909
Inventory management is one of the most annoying parts of some games, e.g. Elder Scrolls.

I know it's unrealistic to be able to carry almost unlimited inventory. However it's when they put extra qualities on items, and groupsets, then you end up holding on to kit.
I agree its annoying... standart weapons for each class with few different armors would be enough. Just more focus on Decision making, quest variety and skills.
Many times rpg games try to focus on everything and result to weak gameplay like witcher 3.
I rather have skilled based gameplay than Fallout, Skyrim, witcher based gameplay mentality when youre high level youre unbeatable because level is more important than skill.

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #6,073 of 6,909
I agree its annoying... standart weapons for each class with few different armors would be enough. Just more focus on Decision making, quest variety and skills.
Many times rpg games try to focus on everything and result to weak gameplay like witcher 3.
I rather have skilled based gameplay than Fallout, Skyrim, witcher based gameplay mentality when youre high level youre unbeatable because level is more important than skill.

Witcher 3 is actually the only open world game I am thinking of replaying. It's inventory management did get me down, but not until later on in the game. At first, and at mid point, it was easy to choose what to keep and sell.

I actually still have a save file, near the beginning of a game, file for the Expansion of Dungeon Siege 2. I played the main game, and carried my character over to the expansion. However the inventory was full of stuff I could not sell because of group sets. Game over.

I suppose I could just dump everything in inventory at a store and start playing again. I just gave up out of lost patience with inventory over the first game.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #6,074 of 6,909
I've been playing Final Fantasy 14 again, getting ready for the new expansion. It's been rocky getting the game to properly click with me. I'll hit it really hard for like two weeks, then ease up, then hit it hard again, and back and forth. One of my issues with it is it feels like the game doesn't respect your time. The game has a large focus on story, but the cut scenes and dialogue drag out to really extreme lengths. If a character is telling you where to go, or what to do next, it's going to explain it to you in 100 lines of dialogue. And each line of dialogue is going to be needlessly wordy. The cynic in me thinks it's to drag out your subscription time, but I feel like there's better was to keep you p(l)aying. SWTOR was the MMO I came from, and I felt that because it was fully voiced-over, it required them to be a little more concise with their writing, since voice overs aren't cheap!

The gameplay is pretty satisfying, though. Dungeons and class mechanics are very simplistic compared to SWTOR, but I can kinda understand why that is. With so many different classes, and integrating group content into the main story, it would be pretty off-putting to have really intricate mechanics for more casual players to overcome. There's also a certain style over function with everything, which again, I can understand, and I don't mind. I'm guessing more people are coming to this game from the background of a Final Fantasy fan, rather than as an MMO fan.

I think I'd give the game a solid 7/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back