Rate the video games you're currently playing
Oct 23, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #5,596 of 6,926
I am playing Alien: Isolation for the second time. I remember being totally blown away by the graphics and station (design). It's so like the Alien movie.

Playing the game is like walking around the movie sets, but better and newer. The look, atmosphere, and immersion, are captivating. It must be one of the best ever designed games. (I am sure if they made an Aliens type alien shooter game with that engine it would sell millions.)  

A:I does annoy me sometimes though. Like when it pins you down for long periods of time. Then you try make a break for it and die - just to get pinned down again. Sometimes you move from one area to another and maybe a cut-scene but no save. You think it's saved but end up doing lots again. One or twice you have to google, when you get stuck.

Even with its grr moments, I still rate it 10/10.  

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #5,597 of 6,926
^ Agree, its such a nice atmosphere and game, but I gave up on it. It take a lot of patience, and you have to keep replaying long parts in order to make it to the next save. Being able to save more often would have made it a better game. 

Oct 24, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #5,598 of 6,926
  ^ Agree, its such a nice atmosphere and game, but I gave up on it. It take a lot of patience, and you have to keep replaying long parts in order to make it to the next save. Being able to save more often would have made it a better game. 

Yeah, I was feeling it could do with 10% more save points, and the alien 10% less present.

I suggest maybe you try playing on though. I was more aggressive this play, using electric rod and wrench to kill Working Joe androids. Whereas first play I avoided them more; but much easier to kill them. Enough shock ammo for the shock rod (or whatever it was called),

One aspect that left me annoyed was that most humans are hostile, but a few are friendly. One time going into a large area, I expected to be attacked but wasn't. I could easily have killed first. It seems odd that you have to wait to be attacked to decide what to do. By which time you've maybe taken a bullet.

Anyway I finished A:I again and it left a very deep impression on me again. I mean I will never see 'underneath the reactor core' area for the first time ever again. However the graphics were still mind-dazzling enough to be blown clean away to sci-fi bliss. (There's no coming back to reality once you have been at the reactor and underneath, in A:I.)

Run at max settings at 1440p, with Asus GTX 980.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #5,599 of 6,926
Just finished my first playthrough of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.  I think only Fallout 2 has more role-playing than it, and like other classic PC games (especially RPGs) its style stands out so much.  Absolutely incredible game and RPG, can't wait to play it again although I'm going to have to play and review Dishonored 2 first.

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #5,601 of 6,926
Am replaying Zombie Army Trilogy. I owned Nazi Zombie Army 1 and 2, and they were two of only four games I held in my favourites on Steam.

ZAT is still a great game, even after having played the series so many times. I am getting a little tired with aspects of it though. Like the loud heart-beats when using the telescopic sights, and the zombies' constant screeching. These mini-grumbles were OK on my first many play throughs, but now feel a little worn. (I wonder now if we can turn of scoped breathing.)

Some folk find ZAT (and previously NZA) just not their thing. I found it brilliant once I got past its third person aspect and then bought NZA.

I'd still rate Zombie Army Trilogy highly.

Nov 3, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #5,603 of 6,926
  Finally finished my first run through witcher 3, solid 10/10.

4k screenshots below...such a pretty game as well.

Working on my first run-through still--just started the Blood and Wine expansion a couple weeks ago. The Hearts of Stone expansion is, I think, the best-written piece of game fiction I've ever encountered, and makes a strong case for games as literature. Blood and Wine has a lot to live up to. And the base game wasn't too shabby, either. Thoroughly enjoying myself.

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #5,604 of 6,926
  Playing Bioshock 2 Remastered. The game doesn't look half bad and the FOV fix is appreciated. Playing it the first time doesnt have same magic as playing Bioshock 1 though which is a shame.

Such an underrated game and one of my favorites.
I know this is not a normal thing but I find it better than Part 1 and 3. I actually HATED part 3. Part 1 was just annoying and no fun really. I got so sick of it the 2nd playthrough and just stopped playing.

I loved the mini games and hacking in the second one. Like how you could upgrade your character with so many abilities and towards the end you feel almost overpowered.

Oh and of course I liked the parts where you have the little sisters gathering ADAM and you have to set up traps etc to protect her. I always found those parts really fun for some reason.

The game is way harder it seems when you don't use the drill all the time and constantly upgrade it.

Sad that the studio who made the second one is no longer around I think.

I'm probably the only one out there who loves the 2nd but hates the rest.

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #5,605 of 6,926
Dishonored - 10/10

Probably my 3rd or 4th playthrough and one of my favorite games.
I finished it once without killing anyone, but never had the patience to do it without being detected.
I also don't really go after bone charms much.

When you sneak your way through the entire game you sure don't seem to need too many runes either.

Favorite level has to be the bridge where you have to abduct Sokolov the physician.

Love the art in this too. Sometimes i'll just sit there and stare at all the building and level designs.
Only fault is the characters are all pretty ugly looking!

Can't wait to play part 2 soon!

Nov 4, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #5,606 of 6,926
  Dishonored - 10/10

Probably my 3rd or 4th playthrough and one of my favorite games.
I finished it once without killing anyone, but never had the patience to do it without being detected.
I also don't really go after bone charms much.

When you sneak your way through the entire game you sure don't seem to need too many runes either.

Favorite level has to be the bridge where you have to abduct Sokolov the physician.

Love the art in this too. Sometimes i'll just sit there and stare at all the building and level designs.
Only fault is the characters are all pretty ugly looking!

Can't wait to play part 2 soon!

Why do you think you can't find runes when sneaking through the entire game?  My first playthrough was a ghost type playthrough; non-lethal stealth with my goal being no detection.  I got every rune in the game.  My second playthrough was the opposite so I took a head-on action oriented approach.  Dishonored is one of only two games that does both playthroughs equally well in my opinion (and both utterly exceptional), the other game being Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.  

Can't wait for Dishonored 2 next week.

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #5,607 of 6,926
He said it seemed like you didn't *need* the runes, not that he couldn't find them. I agree; after a certain point, it felt like I was spending point just because I had them, not because I had any intention of using them.

I, too, can't wait for the next game next week! I've done two runs on both the 360 and PS4 Remastered and the "steampunk" (I know it's not, but if there's a better adjective/genre, feel free to offer it) atmosphere is fantastic. It's like a retro Deus Ex (my all-time favorite series).

Nov 5, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #5,608 of 6,926
There are lots of stealth abilities so runes are still needed, although there is indeed a point where more isn't needed but it's near the end of the game.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #5,609 of 6,926

Why do you think you can't find runes when sneaking through the entire game?  My first playthrough was a ghost type playthrough; non-lethal stealth with my goal being no detection.  I got every rune in the game.  My second playthrough was the opposite so I took a head-on action oriented approach.  Dishonored is one of only two games that does both playthroughs equally well in my opinion (and both utterly exceptional), the other game being Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.  

Can't wait for Dishonored 2 next week.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I do usually go out of my way to find runes, but not the bone charms.
When I go stealth I usually stick with Blink level 2 and Dark Vision II.

I should be using Bend Time more often like most people, but I never used it much.

I rarely use Possession either. Maybe a few times during the game. Today I learned you can possess a fish to get inside the mansion for the party. Never knew that!

I should be playing on the hardest levels. Maybe if I was I'd make sure to get every rune I could find.

I also try to never use sleep darts. Sometimes it makes the game seem too easy despite only getting 10 sleep darts.

BTW I bet there is a ton of different ways to finish a level that i'm overlooking. Maybe some totally different paths to take.

Nov 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #5,610 of 6,926
On my ghost playthrough I used Blink, Dark Vision, Bend Time when I was in really bad scenarios (so not very often, definitely didn't level it up all the way), and Possession. 

On my bloodthirsty killer playthrough I used Blink, Dark Vision, Bend Time, Devouring Swarm, Shadow Kill, and Windblast.  Definitely needed the runes more like you implied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back