Rate the video games you're currently playing
Sep 19, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #5,536 of 6,926
Started with Dreadout on Sunday.
Interesting concept of horror. 
Havent played enough yet to give a rating but sure can scare out a bit :D.

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #5,537 of 6,926
The Talos Principle - wow, play this game right now.  Everyone, and introduce it to your non-gaming friends and family.  Gaming at its best.  Such a well written intellectual experience, wonderful art design and score, excellent optimization/scalability so it can be played on such a wide range of PCs.  

Sep 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #5,538 of 6,926
Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger - heard a lot of good things about it and... I wasn't disappointed. It surely wasn't perfect - I didn't really like the duels and the last mission was an unfitting difficulty spike compared to the fairly easy rest. I had a great time with it, though. Also, the shooting felt great - definitely quality over quantity.

On the other hand, Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. It... was OK, I guess. Bought it for Spec Ops anyway and just thought I might as well play the campaign. It had two especially good missions (Gulag and Second Sun), but basically every Ramirez (actually, Rangers - since in the earliest ones you play as Allen) mission except for the one mentioned was boring - and that's almost half of the game. 141 was a bit better, but still mostly just OK. Also the checkpoints are wack. I have no idea what it depends on, but many times I've died only to find out that there was supposed to be a checkpoint before that and it didn't activate the first time (or a few times). I know Veteran had less of them, but one would still think they are consistent?
A small thing, but having to triple check to play on veteran was almost kind of insulting.
Some people were saying that this is where the series started its downfall and I think i can believe that (although personally I still am salty about adding health regen in 2).

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #5,539 of 6,926
Super Street Fighter IV, my fingers are broken! 
frown.gif
 It was on sale so I decided to give it a try, solid game and very fun online, even though I suck badly..  8/10

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #5,540 of 6,926
Played a few games on and off recently.

• Prison Architect - 5/10 - unintuitive layout for a game of this type. Still some fairly large AI bugs present.
• GTA Online - 6/10 - loading times loading times loading times loading times loading times loading times loading times loading times loading times loading times loading times loading times..... ruins the experience
• Carmageddon Reincarnation - 7/10 - surprisingly solid game. Havn't tried out the multiplayer yet, but single player campaign pretty much takes the best of the original and Carmageddon 2 and improves upon it.
• Sniper Elite V2 - 4/10 - solid game but too repetitive. Gets pretty boring pretty quickly. Sure, tetris is repetitive too, but in a market saturated in single player FPS war simulation games, there's no excuse. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #5,541 of 6,926
Played Metal Geral Rising Revengance this past weekend.
Started playing at 21.00 "for 5 minutes before going to bed", Finished when I saw the sun was rising (no pun intended).
Decided not to touch it until the next weekend to avoid sleepiness at work.

I dont know why but that game is very addictive.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #5,542 of 6,926
Since head fi is a music forum, I think we should add 'what is your favorite song with each game'. I'll start,
game: Ghost recon - music:The Doors.
game: Talos principle - music: Bach cello concertos by YoYo MA (although Vivaldi works well for me too)

For those people who REALLY know their stuff, you can also post which recording/master sounds best and list all those recordings of the piece you've heard.

Perhaps this needs a new thread titled 'Rescoring games with music?'

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #5,543 of 6,926
  Played Metal Geral Rising Revengance this past weekend.
Started playing at 21.00 "for 5 minutes before going to bed", Finished when I saw the sun was rising (no pun intended).
Decided not to touch it until the next weekend to avoid sleepiness at work.

I dont know why but that game is very addictive.

It really is and I don't know why either - it's very good, though, completely different from other Metal Gear games but still. It's also a really hard game mechanically especially if played at proper difficulty, at least with keyboard & mouse since the control compatibility is funky. Last boss fight took me like 12 hours to beat on the highest difficulty because the combos were ridiculously hard to execute.

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #5,544 of 6,926
  Since head fi is a music forum, I think we should add 'what is your favorite song with each game'. I'll start,
game: Ghost recon - music:The Doors.
game: Talos principle - music: Bach cello concertos by YoYo MA (although Vivaldi works well for me too)

For those people who REALLY know their stuff, you can also post which recording/master sounds best and list all those recordings of the piece you've heard.

Perhaps this needs a new thread titled 'Rescoring games with music?'

I never play music while gaming.  Games have their own soundtrack for a reason, and The Talos Principle in particular has an excellent one.

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #5,546 of 6,926
Exactly. So many games have memorable OST worth listening to on their own.

+over 9000

I can't imagine killing Strogg to anything but electronic heavy metal.

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #5,548 of 6,926
Started Witcher 3 today. Only about 2 hours in, but what a major disappointment!
Luckily I only paid $30 for it new.

Controls are just AWFUL. I keep running into things and can't even walk straight half the time. Even riding a horse is a chore.
Reminds me of Red Dead Redemption or the early Tomb Raider games.

So far I hate everything about this game. I dislike it so much so far I want to sell it already.
I'll give it another try later.

Right now i'd give it a 5/10.

Almost done with Bloodborne. Hard to believe i'm at the end already. Level 70 now.

Overall i'd give the game an 8/10 now.
I do have some fun with it, but it's not as good as "Dark Souls".
I seriously can't imagine playing this a second time.

I also started up "Skyrim" again. Once you've played that game for thousands of hours you realize it's all the same over and over and over. OK, maybe only 500 hours, but who knows.
Being an archer only is kind of a fun way to play through it.

Somehow I find the game extremely boring now.

Oct 2, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #5,549 of 6,926
  Started Witcher 3 today. Only about 2 hours in, but what a major disappointment!
Luckily I only paid $30 for it new.

Controls are just AWFUL. I keep running into things and can't even walk straight half the time. Even riding a horse is a chore.
Reminds me of Red Dead Redemption or the early Tomb Raider games.

So far I hate everything about this game. I dislike it so much so far I want to sell it already.
I'll give it another try later.

Right now i'd give it a 5/10.

Almost done with Bloodborne. Hard to believe i'm at the end already. Level 70 now.

Overall i'd give the game an 8/10 now.
I do have some fun with it, but it's not as good as "Dark Souls".
I seriously can't imagine playing this a second time.

I also started up "Skyrim" again. Once you've played that game for thousands of hours you realize it's all the same over and over and over. OK, maybe only 500 hours, but who knows.
Being an archer only is kind of a fun way to play through it.

Somehow I find the game extremely boring now.

This is why I love video games--for the vast differences in opinions they can generate. I think The Witcher III is a great game and Skyrim a terrible one--I can't fathom putting even 50 hours into the later, nevermind 500, whereas I've put 70 into the Witcher thus far and can easily imagine myself getting at least triple that out of it, expansions included. I agree that the controls (and tangentially, and most especially, the collision detection) in Witcher are bloody awful and should have received a lot more polish before the game shipped, but in every other respect that matters to me as a fan of CRPGs I think Witcher is far and away the superior game. Given a choice between being bored and alone with my thoughts and bored and playing Skyrim, I'd prefer the former. I've had this problem with Bethesda's flagship RPG games (Elder Scrolls and Fallout) ever since Morrowind--the worlds they build these days either have little to no character or originality or are extremely shallow, or, more frequently, are both, and tend to be married to just really bad stories, with maybe a handful of truly excellent side quests--not enough to balance out the hours and hours of mediocre, copy-and-paste content that strings it all together and the dreadful combat. The Witcher III is hardly the masterpiece that the games press would have one believe and it does suffer from some of the same open-world design choices that Skyrim did, but at least I find the combat engaging, many of the side activities and quests to be exciting, the writing and characters to be stand-out, and the world itself to be far more interesting than Tamriel, though admittedly a lot of these positives do hinge somewhat upon one's familiarity with the previous two games in the series, or even the source material. It certainly, in my opinion, was not the best RPG to come out last year--I think you'd have to look at the indie scene or Pillars of Eternity for that, but I don't think there's been a triple-A RPG as good in years, with the possible exceptions of the Mass Effect and Dark Souls games.

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #5,550 of 6,926
I played Betrayer a few weeks ago. The world is OK. The game style is OK. However there was some stuff in the text of the game (no vocals), that I objected to. I can't rate it as a game because of that. I couldn't finish playing it because I was uncomfortable with it.

(NB Currently replaying Shadow Warrior; third play.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back