Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jan 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #12,271 of 24,615
Cosmopolis, 8.5/10
The film's backdrop, of the inevitable implosion of capitalism's impact on civilization, is obviously going to be a bit polarizing, and evidently I liked it much better than most to my complete surprise; I think that Cronenberg's genius really shines through in this one. I can't say that I am a fan of Pattinson's work to date, but he wasn't half bad here and the production was entirely original. This is one of the rare films that has inspired me to seek out the book that it's based on, which looks to be equally polarizing!

Also made it into a theater to see Django Unchained, 9/10; less maybe half a point for killing off The German is such silly fashion. I mean come on, just shake the guy's hand. You can rationalize it by staying alive to kill him later. All in all another gem from Tarantino.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #12,272 of 24,615
Quote:
I like his quote: " Parents today say to their children,well if it doesn't work out,you can always come back.What a stupid thing to say,that is why those children are failures"
Tuna dealer said it too: "young people are looking for a job that is easy,with plenty of time off and then expect lots of money"

The quotes feel very "Japanese" to me.
Still true nonetheless. The problem, though, is that not all of us are fortunate enough to know what we want right from the start, and once one gets into the habit of doing stuff they don't like and earn money, money becomes the objective more than anything.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #12,273 of 24,615
I totally managed to miss Cosmopolis, but am a huge Cronenberg fan. Thanks for reminding me that I need to seek this out!
Quote:
Cosmopolis, 8.5/10
The film's backdrop, of the inevitable implosion of capitalism's impact on civilization, is obviously going to be a bit polarizing, and evidently I liked it much better than most to my complete surprise; I think that Cronenberg's genius really shines through in this one. I can't say that I am a fan of Pattinson's work to date, but he wasn't half bad here and the production was entirely original. This is one of the rare films that has inspired me to seek out the book that it's based on, which looks to be equally polarizing!

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #12,275 of 24,615
Quote:
I totally managed to miss Cosmopolis, but am a huge Cronenberg fan. Thanks for reminding me that I need to seek this out!

You're welcome
smile.gif

He just keeps getting better and better IMO.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #12,276 of 24,615
Watched Pitch Perfect yesterday, wasn't my type of movie AT ALL, I like badass movies and that one was not at all so I was about to stop it but then I saw the troublemakers sing and I thought it was alright, I'd give it a 7/10! Less than IMDb by 0.1.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #12,278 of 24,615
Quote:

I agree that was unnecessary since he didn't appear to need it to satisfy his sexual partner or to excrete waste, so it was entirely an "ornamental" penis; kind of like the prosthetic job in Hit and Miss. But obviously very different in terms of character development
tongue.gif

lol@ornamental penis

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #12,279 of 24,615
Quote:

Resident Evil 5 Retribution 2012                    9/10

finally, someone who get's it. I love the series! and the game series. They didn't defecate all over the game series and I'm glad they didn't, they took it in a different direction for the sake of the movie. FAR to many RE sperglords to make a movie that would actually satisfy them.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #12,281 of 24,615

5/10.......number 1 was better.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #12,282 of 24,615
Quote:
finally, someone who get's it. I love the series! and the game series. They didn't defecate all over the game series and I'm glad they didn't, they took it in a different direction for the sake of the movie. FAR to many RE sperglords to make a movie that would actually satisfy them.

It just does what it does. You know what to expect and it delivers. I could watch it multiple times just for the fight sequences and effects. I could watch RE 4 and 5 back to back again too as there is just so much to see.

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #12,284 of 24,615
Quote:
I agree.
Did you see this movie? http://www.head-fi.org/t/266841/rate-the-last-movie-you-watched/12165#post_9002717
The old sushi master was from this era,plenty of cultural harshness imbued into the people.
Seppuku or Harakiri is a difficult concept to embrace.

I haven't seen the movie, but yeah, I agree. Its more like cultural conditioning, where you're told what you should do, do it without questioning, and better excel at it.
Its the same problem I have with all such movies, like the new one coming on Jobs. Thats one success story that rests on the shoulders of countless failures of countless other people, and its the trying that should be acknowledged, not the success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back