Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Sep 2, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #10,816 of 24,632
I'm with you guys on Dark Knight Rises...I had a minor issue with the ending, but aside from that I felt it was a very satisfying, very enjoyable film. 

Grokit: I agree about Hunger Games, too....I guess I just didn't see what all the fuss was about. I'd probably rate it about the same as you. 

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I'll be a good sport....I got suckered into watching a chick flick tonight...it was written by Nicholas Sparks, the guy who wrote the Notebook, which is probably about the only chick flick that actually did connect with me on an emotional level. Usually I will laugh or yawn my way through these types of flicks...anyway, it was called The Lucky One. It didn't completely suck, but it wasn't really any good either. So if any of your women suggest this one, know that it's tolerable, but I'd try to get out of it if you can. 

Going to get the bad taste out of my brain with Pirate Radio here in a bit....can't wait!!

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #10,817 of 24,632
Quote:

Could have been much better; some decent moments but ultimately disappointing 5/10

I agree. I read all three books in 4 days. They were that good. 

You can only imagine my disappointment when I walked into the movie theater and found a hollowed out, teenagified shell of the glory of the books. It's really unfortunate.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #10,818 of 24,632
I'm going to have to disagree with you all on The Hinger Games. I thought the film did a decent job of translating the books, and tightening up some narrative issues from the source material. It looked right and Lawrence did a great job as Katniss. But I've been a fan of hers since Winter's Bone, a movie well worth seeing.

Was it the movie I hoped for? No. But I give it a 7/10.

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #10,819 of 24,632
Saw Zenith, 7/10. Unconventionally intelligent but flat and unpolished. Solid premise regarding the genetic compromises we may be heading for, with an unfortunately ambiguous execution and uninspired ending.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #10,820 of 24,632
Quote:
Saw Zenith, 7/10. Unconventionally intelligent but flat and unpolished. Solid premise regarding the genetic compromises we may be heading for, with an unfortunately ambiguous execution and uninspired ending.

sounds like Gattica.....I need to watch that again.

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #10,822 of 24,632
Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree with you all on The Hinger Games. I thought the film did a decent job of translating the books, and tightening up some narrative issues from the source material. It looked right and Lawrence did a great job as Katniss. But I've been a fan of hers since Winter's Bone, a movie well worth seeing.
Was it the movie I hoped for? No. But I give it a 7/10.

Agreed, The Hunger Games was not bad at all. In fact, I thought it was excellent, as was Winter's Bone. 8/10 for both of them

Quote:
Gattica's one of my favorites, much more polished 9/10

Ugh yes. Ethan Hawke is the bomb.

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #10,824 of 24,632
And Gattaca, amazing film. One of my nine 10 ratings on IMDb.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #10,825 of 24,632
Hunger Games, like John Carter, is definitely better on its surface than my rating(s) of 5/10. But both movies pissed me off by diluting the value of a great story by pandering to the lowest common denominator. These movies have unlimited production and promotional budgets, and on the surface they are highly polished, more deserving of an 8/10 rating. But based on the stories they are supposed to tell, both movies could have been so much more. Instead, they were dumbed down with the political mechanizations and manipulations of the day, which ruined the entertainment value for me and that's what I base my ratings on. So I stand by them, 5/10 for both movies.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #10,826 of 24,632
American Gangster- 8.5/10

Second time ive watched it
great acting all around and good plot
maybe not as good as dark knit trilogy but nonetheless a solid movie

Quote:
Hunger Games, like John Carter, is definitely better on its surface than my rating(s) of 5/10. But both movies pissed me off by diluting the value of a great story by pandering to the lowest common denominator. These movies have unlimited production and promotional budgets, and on the surface they are highly polished, more deserving of an 8/10 rating. But based on the stories they are supposed to tell, both movies could have been so much more. Instead, they were dumbed down with the political mechanizations and manipulations of the day, which ruined the entertainment value for me and that's what I base my ratings on. So I stand by them, 5/10 for both movies.

i agree
loved the books but the movie seems to be "simplified" too much for me and i hate it when they leave what i consider important bits from the books out from the story

movies like harry potter did a better job of sticking to the books which proves that it isnt impossible to create good movies based off books

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #10,827 of 24,632
Saw Pirate Radio last night and had a blast with it...great ensemble cast and just a fun time from start to finish. Also loved hearing all that classic music from the 60s, especially "Eleanor" by the Turtles. Was a bit before my time, but for some reason I've always loved that song. Long live Rock'n'Roll!!!!!!!

Sep 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #10,828 of 24,632
Quote:
And Gattaca, amazing film. One of my nine 10 ratings on IMDb.

ha ha ha ha ha I can't believe I misspelled that G, A, T, and C are the basics of DNA I should know the spelling of the movie them heh.

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #10,830 of 24,632
Catch Me if you can - 10/10

Being There - 10/10

Yeah..these are both favorites i've seen dozens of times. Both near perfect to me.
Watching "Being There" last night was one of the best viewings i've had of that movie. It's really funny too. I actually didn't love it on the first viewing.

A Few Good Men - 8/10

Good popcorn movie, but your typical Hollywood movie in many ways, but that's OK. Lots of overacting as well, but I don't care!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back