Rate The Last Movie You Watched
May 15, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #23,656 of 24,615
Like Father Like Son - (9/10)

This is one of his (Koreeda's) more serious films (I tend to enjoy his light hearted stuff more). I found this film quite slow in developing, but the issue it addresses is fascinating. Kind of like Sci-Fi, in terms of an event that can occur and the consequences. The way the characters are affected is quite interesting. I like the way Koreeda uses particular characters for the story. Very effective in illustrating the consequences.

Koreeda really got me at the ending. Quite emotional. One of the best ending development I've ever seen.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #23,657 of 24,615
Watching John wick 2 again on cable. It’s the best gun fu series. So visceral in the extension of arm, fist, barrel. John wick 3 after, again

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #23,658 of 24,615
After the Storm - (7.7/10)

Another Koreeda film. This one is similarly made like 'Still Walking.' Similar cinematography and same actors. Story not as interesting, and I didn't care for the most of the film until the story gets to the point when the storm happens. That's when it gets interesting. Koreeda certainly knows how to finish the film with a bang.

I didn't like the 'detective' angle of the main charcter. I found it kinda odd, and most of the background was to develop the main character, but I found it pretty pointless.

The dialog isn't as good as 'Still Walking.' I think 'Still Walking' has the most interesting character interactions and dialog of all Koreeda films I've seen.

I think actors koreeda reuses are quite talented. Particularly Hiroshi Abe that is able to play the roles perfectly. Also, Yoko Maki is quite good. You get great acting performances in Koreeda movies.

After watching a few of his films, I get an impression that his impression of father are not good. lol

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #23,660 of 24,615
Sniper assassins end 2020 Netflix

so what could be an utter waste was sort of ok. Little tension, a little twist, one might start caring how it turns out, but meh, maybe no.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #23,661 of 24,615
The Northman (2/10)

This movie was terrible. Story line, acting, everything is pretty bad. Very loose interpretation of viking culture and I mean basically what a 10 year old year old tell you if asked what vikings were.

At least they could be historically accurate but that would require some effort.
Welp, I will be skipping this one. Audience score being lower than critic's is usually a bad sign. Too bad, the trailer looked interesting. This mean more Koreeda films watchin! Don't like to make time for bad quality.

May 17, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #23,662 of 24,615
angel has fallen 2019 net flix

well I thought the angel has fallen and can’t get up, but weirdly this action pack how can Gerald butler get out of this, ya old fart, was better than I expected as it went on. Now don’t get me wrong you got nothing going on, nothing to do, ok. But if you got choices, best let angels fall

May 17, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #23,663 of 24,615
I haven't seen the movie yet but when I saw the trailer a few months ago, I was dieing to see it.

I have a feeling its gonna be awesome.

May 18, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #23,664 of 24,615
Under the Banner of Heaven - 10/10

One of the best crime dramas i've seen.
OK, so this series isn't finished, but will be in a couple more episodes.
Every one has been perfect.
Remember the Waco incident?
The criminals in this one have similar extremist religious views.
I guess one issue some people may have with this series is that it's very slow moving, but never boring.
It's based on a book and you can tell.

The Looming Tower - 10/10

Yes, really. Two 10/10 TV shows in a row.
This one was about the events leading up to 9/11.
Another one based on a book that I really want to read.
Really good cast in this one too.

May 19, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #23,665 of 24,615
Senior year 2022 net flix

ridonculous all the way around with only some cringy smiles here and there. A touch of rom com meets freaky Friday

May 21, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #23,666 of 24,615
Swallowtail Butterfly - (5/10)

It's one of those movies I lost interest quickly and didn't want to finish. I can't believe this is a Shinji Iwai film. After seeing 'Love Letter' and 'April Story,' I'm at a loss at how this movie like a polar opposite how it's presented. Acting is quite bad in English and cheezy. I just don't like the dialogs in general. It's just not beautifully shot like some of his other films. It's aged really badly too. I think this one is a film that Iwai want's to present a concrete story, but it fails. I don't think he's a story teller, but a good cinematographer (at times). This is pretty much a great example of Japanese films I really dislike.

'Love Letter' and 'April Story' have similar style in how it's shot, and that's the kind of movies I like of Iwai.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #23,668 of 24,615
Crying Out Love in the Center of the World - (8.5/10)

I'm not much into Asian melodramas or romance films/tv shows (I generally cannot understand kdramas, the stories seem the same all the time), but this one is done quite well. The story is actually quite typical as an Asian melodrama. Tragic melodrama stories has been done too many times, but I believe some are better at evoking emotions better than others.

This movie falls under the trope in terms of the them, but the way it's done seems to be it's saving grace, and I personally find it a good movie. The cinematography is quite excellent, and that's the part I'm really drawn to in this film.

The first scene with the close up shot of Kō Shibasaki hits hard, and it's just so well shot. I think it's just a perfect shot. The right actress, the right acting, the composition.. It's just a really memorable shot, and there are several other instances like this throughout the film.

The director of the film was assistant director is Shunji Iwai for films like 'Love Letter' and 'April Story,' and I see that style of cinemotography. I'm a huge fan of how these movies are shot. Particularly in terms of how the subjects are shown relative to the scenery.

I think the actors were perfectly cast. Masami Nagasawa rose in popularity due to this film. And she was the perfect cast for this movie. Without her, this movie wouldn't be the same. Her presence and performance has a lot riding on this film. I think she is one of the best Japanese actresses I've seen.

I see why Koreeda casted Nagasawa in "Umimachi Diaries." Interestingly, TV Drama series of the same name and story came out the same year in 2004. And Haruka Ayase stared in it. Ayase was also in Koreeda's 'Umimachi Diaries." Both are excellent actresses, and this was the partial reason why 'Umimachi Diaries' turned out so well.

Although Kō Shibasaki has minor role in this film. Her presence in the film is quite excellent. She is a very effective visual actress with very little dialog. Her acting skills really showed from the first shot of the film with her presence.

This film is a great example how much the way the film is shot and acting contributes to films even for a cliche theme. The theme is cliche, but the screenplay really makes up for it.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #23,669 of 24,615
Deliver us from evil (2020) 9/10

Reuniting Jung min Hwang with Jung Jae Lee, their awesome chemistry as shown in New World (another excellent film) shows how good they are when paired together. Very enjoyable movie, gangsters, knife fights, revenge, all of things that korean movies are well known for.

Movie was really well shot, colors and overtone give it an ominous feel.

I feel like the title could have been a better descriptor of the movie but either way, this one slipped by me.

May 23, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #23,670 of 24,615
Deliver us from evil (2020) 9/10

Reuniting Jung min Hwang with Jung Jae Lee, their awesome chemistry as shown in New World (another excellent film) shows how good they are when paired together. Very enjoyable movie, gangsters, knife fights, revenge, all of things that korean movies are well known for.

Movie was really well shot, colors and overtone give it an ominous feel.

I feel like the title could have been a better descriptor of the movie but either way, this one slipped by me.

Jung min Hwang is very good actor. One of my all time favorites, but the problem is, he's not in a lot of the top movies like Song Kang-ho. His performance in 'The Wailing' was tops, but his most popular movie is 'Ode to my Father,' which was a charming movie. Very formulaic, but not as bad as 'Taxi Driver.' It has the feels of 'Forest Gump.'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back