Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 29, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #22,816 of 24,628
Soul....Disney animation.

It’s actually very good. It delves into some philosophical thoughts on life or thoughts on your human existence. So there is a bit of a complexity there that can be cerebral- depending on how deep you want to interpret or analyze this movie. It’s basically a movie for adults disguised as children’s entertainment. Recommend

Also, the sound quality is really good (Listening on a hybrid tube amp)

8D7CE877-FA94-4B80-8D03-7EB77EE79DF7.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #22,818 of 24,628
venom and thor-both great-never really bothered with marvel before but im hooked now.
also watched the audition which was nasty weird but in a good way.
Free Solo (2018) .. climbing film-i was clutching my chair-climbing with no ropes jeez

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #22,819 of 24,628
Wonder Woman 1984 was a huge letdown. Superman 3 had a better plot lol. BUT thankfully The New Mutants was a big surprise and I loved the darker feel (and wink to Logan).
both get bad reviews but i like logan so may try TNM............................................

Jan 9, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #22,820 of 24,628
On Amazon Prime:

The Third Murder (2017)
Trees Lounge (1996)
An Elephant Sitting Still (2018)

The Professor and the Madman (2019) on Netflix

My Man Godfrey (1936) on Hoopla

Hoopla is the library's streaming (our library limits to 6 per month). kanopy is another with no limits and a great selection (they have Criterion Collection Kurosawa and many many more). All you need is a library card to access and create an account.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #22,821 of 24,628
17FD7651-07FC-4374-9BAD-A9987C12F7C1.jpeg

Barry (4/4)

Bill Hader is co-creator and exec producer. This show is as funny as dramatic, but spends most time on the lighter side.

Supporting actress Sarah Goldberg’s acting is a highlight and important to making the story feel more significant.

Im only through halfway of season 2, but am already rating (4/4).

I am fan of Hader, from what Ive seen in interviews he is a genius comedian and cinephile, and it shows here.

The story is about an assassin who serendipitously also becomes an actor. He is a depressed and disillusioned hitman, then finds happiness by attending acting classes in a small hollywood theater. He does heavy work, then pretends heavy work in his off time. Theater is at first hilarious and therapeutic, then becomes his new home, but escaping the past is hard... lol. Its not as dumb as I make it sound. If you’re a fan, then you’ll trust Hader. If you’re not a fan, try atleast two episodes. The first episode is not enough to get a feel for the direction of the show. Similar to Amazon’s Fleabag, in that it starts unclear in tone but ends up being smart and funny. Also similar to Fleabag in it’s nods to the audience. Fleabag did it with surreal direct address monologue, Barry does it indirectly with scenarios during acting class.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #22,822 of 24,628
Formula 1: Drive to Survive - 8/10 (Netflix series)

Picked this at random and glad I did. Found it good enough to watch both seasons all within a week.
The racing footage is pretty good, but with this series it's kind of all over the place. Not much focus on any one team at all.
Would be nice to see more racing footage and have it all be slightly more in depth.
Too much time spent on PR events too with all the drivers.

I'm a fan of the Gran Turismo video game series, but not much of a car person. Still really liked this show.

What kind of surprised me is how technical each race is. Even the steering wheel seemed to have like 20+ buttons. Doesn't even look like a steering wheel anymore.
Then all those screens monitoring the race in detail. I have no clue what most of them are even showing. Would be interesting to learn about all this.

Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Season 2) - 9/10

Slightly better than the previous season. Some of the racing scenes are pretty suspenseful at times and just when you think they had just placed first and it's... FIFTH place!
They don't bother to give you much coverage of each race, just a general overview most of the time. They tend to only show coverage of the team in the episode.

Show would be amazing if more time was spent covering each race and was more in depth.

After finishing this series I just wanted more and wish it didn't end! Hopefully it continues.

I've never seen an F1 race on TV, but now I really want to.
Made me also want to start playing the Gran Turismo series again.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #22,823 of 24,628
17FD7651-07FC-4374-9BAD-A9987C12F7C1.jpeg

Barry (4/4)

Bill Hader is co-creator and exec producer. This show is as funny as dramatic, but spends most time on the lighter side.

Supporting actress Sarah Goldberg’s acting is a highlight and important to making the story feel more significant.

Im only through halfway of season 2, but am already rating (4/4).

I am fan of Hader, from what Ive seen in interviews he is a genius comedian and cinephile, and it shows here.

The story is about an assassin who serendipitously also becomes an actor. He is a depressed and disillusioned hitman, then finds happiness by attending acting classes in a small hollywood theater. He does heavy work, then pretends heavy work in his off time. Theater is at first hilarious and therapeutic, then becomes his new home, but escaping the past is hard... lol. Its not as dumb as I make it sound. If you’re a fan, then you’ll trust Hader. If you’re not a fan, try atleast two episodes. The first episode is not enough to get a feel for the direction of the show. Similar to Amazon’s Fleabag, in that it starts unclear in tone but ends up being smart and funny. Also similar to Fleabag in it’s nods to the audience. Fleabag did it with surreal direct address monologue, Barry does it indirectly with scenarios during acting class.
I watched 3 episodes and didn't know what direction it was going, and lost interest.

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #22,824 of 24,628
... sad ...

I tried a couple episodes of Flight of the Conchords. I had some time ago listened to the soundtrack and it felt like I got to enjoy the greatest hits album which sometimes makes it difficult to appreciate the rest of the work. Fan of Jermaine Clement.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #22,825 of 24,628
Formula 1: Drive to Survive - 8/10 (Netflix series)

Picked this at random and glad I did. Found it good enough to watch both seasons all within a week.
The racing footage is pretty good, but with this series it's kind of all over the place. Not much focus on any one team at all.
Would be nice to see more racing footage and have it all be slightly more in depth.
Too much time spent on PR events too with all the drivers.

I'm a fan of the Gran Turismo video game series, but not much of a car person. Still really liked this show.

What kind of surprised me is how technical each race is. Even the steering wheel seemed to have like 20+ buttons. Doesn't even look like a steering wheel anymore.
Then all those screens monitoring the race in detail. I have no clue what most of them are even showing. Would be interesting to learn about all this.

Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Season 2) - 9/10

Slightly better than the previous season. Some of the racing scenes are pretty suspenseful at times and just when you think they had just placed first and it's... FIFTH place!
They don't bother to give you much coverage of each race, just a general overview most of the time. They tend to only show coverage of the team in the episode.

Show would be amazing if more time was spent covering each race and was more in depth.

After finishing this series I just wanted more and wish it didn't end! Hopefully it continues.

I've never seen an F1 race on TV, but now I really want to.
Made me also want to start playing the Gran Turismo series again.

They can quit the races and only do the show. F1 is kind of a soap opera. Races tend to be predictable and booring.

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #22,826 of 24,628
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2.5/4)

Original trailer back in day looked meh. Wasnt as big a fan of the two lead actors back in 2008, but I am now so Im watching this now.

It’s a fairy tale with a slightly more serious relationship. Its okay story and cinematography. Mostly technically interesting to see how they manage telling a backwards life. Would have given a higher rating if they cut the running time down to something suitable for a light story.

The best part is when Cate Blanchett is trying to seduce Ben with some private ballet.:

1fe396a966b8c8e91934b9ba25d5360b.gif

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #22,827 of 24,628
Watched a few movies over the past week or so. A real mixed bag.

Pitch Black: I saw this and Chronicles of Riddick years ago, and at the time I really loved them. Pitch Black mostly holds up, aside from some really awful editing. It's a decent monster movie, with the Riddick element adding a nice twist to the formula. The cast of characters is also not too bad, with distinct personalities and motivations. I think I'd give this a 6/10. It's a little derivative, but mostly stands on its own.

Chronicles of Riddick: Man, where do I start with this? This is one movie I kind of wish I hadn't rewatched. It was so much better in my memory, and I think the video game Escape From Butcher Bay gave me rose-tinted glasses regarding it. The story is kind of a mess of disparate ideas. There's the bounty hunter/prison aspect, the space sorcery garbage, "chosen one" plot line, and the zombie space army... There's like 4 different aspects to the movie that could (and probably should) have been fleshed out into other movies. I really don't think it needs to be said that all these ideas don't work well together. It's kind of a shame, because I think they had a good opportunity to really flesh out the whole prison punk motif. But no. We got space sorcery and chosen one nonsense.

I will say, I do kind of like the visual design of the movie. It's very clearly inspired by H R Giger. There's also some kind of fun dialogue, and some decent action scenes, but man, this movie is about as low-brow as it gets. I guess I'd say I didn't hate it, but boy is it rough. 4/10.

Riddick: This was kind of a breath of fresh air, coming off of Chronicles. It's far more focused in the story its telling, and is made all the stronger for it. The sorcery and chosen one stuff from the second movie are entirely gone, and the Necromonger aspect has taken a back seat. The sole focus of this is Riddick, and his interaction with the mercenaries chasing him, as well as going back to the series's roots as a monster movie. (Him playing the part of the monster for the first half).

Once again, there's some decent action, with some fun dialogue (with some occasional god-awful dialogue). There's a good cast of characters, and once again some great visual design. I think I'd rate this 6/10.

If I didn't know better, I would honestly think this series was a vanity project by Vin Diesel, and I think that's why it never really caught on as an iconic sci-fi series. There's some solid ideas here, but they really only seem to exist for Riddick himself.

Tenet: This one genuinely took me by surprise. Christopher Nolan's non-Batman movies have been extremely hit or miss for me. I loved Interstellar and regard it as one of my favorite movies of all time. Dunkirk, I wasn't really a big fan of, and Inception is maybe the stupidest movie of all time. I wasn't really sure if I'd enjoy this that much, as I was really expecting it to be an overly convoluted mess. Thankfully, I didn't feel that was the case at all. Some of the minutia of the time travel was lost on me, so I might need to give it a rewatch, but on the whole it was very straight forward. Someone in the future is causing trouble, plans to end all life, time travel shenanigans happen. Easy peasy. It's funny because early in the movie a character tells the protagonist not to overthink the time mechanics, kind of a fun wink to the audience, and good advice to boot.

I'm actually a little surprised the time travel stuff didn't really enter the picture until about half way through. Aside from mentioning the inversion, it was a fairly straightforward espionage movie up until the turnstiles are introduced. Once they are brought in, I feel like they were used in clever ways, and did a good job of adding a fun twist of the espionage formula.

If I had to knock the movie, I'd say I didn't especially care for the protagonist, and the movie could be somewhat dull at times, but those are minor gripes to me. 8/10.

Love and Monsters: Another pleasant surprise, this one. I approached this with basically no expectations about how good it would be. Pretty much the only thing I knew about it was that it was a post-apocalyptic monster movie. With any kind of post-apocalyptic movie you'd expect to see the worst that humanity has to offer: violence, cruelty, the desire to survive at all costs; basically a world without morals. This movie kind of flips that on its head: it's genuinely wholesome, and loving, and considerate.

I'm really not the biggest fan of the lead actor, but I like the character he's playing. He's maybe a little too jokey without actually being funny, but he's generally pretty relatable, and it's nice to see he has a solid character arch. I feel like too many movies these days don't see the protagonist grow in any meaningful way, so I appreciated seeing it here. I think I'll give it a 9/10.

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #22,828 of 24,628
@Kukuk

Agree with everything you said.

I also have Riddick nostalgia appreciation. Reminder to self: dont ruin it by rewatching films all these years later.

I forgot about that Riddick game. One of those rare movie-based games that far exceeds expectations.

The only great Nolan Batman was Dark Knight. Rewatching it though, Ledger and Bale are a little cringey. I watched it in a theater near convention center when I went to San Diego Comic Con that summer, so extra memorable.

And Ive been saying this since release: Shutter Island is the much better movie. Inception was okay. Shutter Island is also a mindbending perception movie starring Leonardo Dicaprio that came out in theaters in the same year as Inception. Shutter Island I purchased blu-ray. Inception I watched a second time just incase my original disappointment was because story went over my head... disappointed twice.

Edit: not watched Tenet yet.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #22,829 of 24,628
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2.5/4)

Original trailer back in day looked meh. Wasnt as big a fan of the two lead actors back in 2008, but I am now so Im watching this now.

It’s a fairy tale with a slightly more serious relationship. Its okay story and cinematography. Mostly technically interesting to see how they manage telling a backwards life. Would have given a higher rating if they cut the running time down to something suitable for a light story.

The best part is when Cate Blanchett is trying to seduce Ben with some private ballet.:

1fe396a966b8c8e91934b9ba25d5360b.gif
Turned it off as soon as I saw the gross lookin Brad Pitt baby.

@Kukuk To be honest, I don't care for Nolan's Batman, but I did like Momento, Inception, and most recent Tenet. Tenet takes a lot of thought to make. It's difficult to even wrap one's head around backwards moving in time for a movie.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #22,830 of 24,628
Michael Mann’s chef d’œuvre. I have been regularly watching it since 26 years now. Perfect movie.

55B679B0-9FC5-45E5-803B-F025F8EAAFBF.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back