Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Dec 14, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #22,803 of 24,615
Battle of the Bulge: Wunderland (2018), Library Hoopla stream. Tom Berenger - when he first appears, I only recognized him when he started to speak. Almost didn't finish this - took 3 tries. 6/10

The Bounty (1984), Library Hoopla stream. Casting is first rate: Anthony Hopkins, Mel Gibson, Laurence Olivier, Edward Fox, Daniel Day-Lewis, Liam Neeson, Bernard Hill. Vangelis soundtrack. 8/10

André & his Olive Tree (2020), Netflix. 6/10

In Search of Flight AF447 (2019), Amazon Prime. Have seen this story before - this version is a good presentation. 7/10

The Queen (2006), Netflix. Staring Helen Mirren. Directed by Stephen Frears (Dangerous Liaisons, The Grifters, High Fidelity, Philomena). Around 14 years before The Crown got around to Princess Diana. 9/10

Enola Holmes (2020), Netflix. A fun watch. 7/10

The Trip to Greece (2020), Amazon rental. Tears in my eyes lol on a couple bits. I've seen all 4 of this series. 8/10

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #22,804 of 24,615
The Fountain (2007) 3/4

Dreamy romance movie with some mild despair and hope. I had seen this movie highly recommend; overrated. Preview looked very stylish with sweet cinematography; lies. Giving a 3/4 because I am a sucker for the story.

Doubt (2008) 4/4

Even though not fantasy stylized like the Fountain, Doubt is still better to look at with its skillful cinematography. Also, the story more nuanced, but Doubt is a more serious movie.

Philip Seymour Hoffman recalling why he was one of the very best actors, always fascinating to watch. Meryl Streep is a great counterpart and main character. Amy Adams perfectly casted, yes, she plays the kind wide-eyed inexperienced to slowly-wizened person, simple but keen (more keen than usual which made her uncharacteristically interesting - good movie I tell you).

The directing and writing were great so it's hard to imagine the acting holding it much back anyway with another cast, but cast worked great, so great.

Both movies involved love and uncertainty. Doubt though was not a romance - it was about a priest possibly having improper relations with an altar boy.

The philosophizing in the movies Doubt and The Fountain, plus the actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, reminded me of Synechdoche, New York (2008) 4/4. Synechdoche was too smart for me, Fountain not interesting enough, and Doubt was medium so I prefer it best. Not super related movies but that's my review!

Phantom Thread (2017) 4/4

Speaking of very best actors, Daniel Day-Lewis always fascinating to watch too. Paul Thomas Anderson is a boss director. Both were again in another project: There Will Be Blood (2007) 4/4 - one of my favorite movies.

The Phantom Thread is about a talented guy and his relationships to his mum, sister, girlfriend. He is controlling and demanding; he is a big baby.

Well made, great acting, story is okay, great dialogue throughout like in Doubt.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #22,805 of 24,615
Really struggling to get into anything new so rewatching stuff
Tenet was ok but i dont really want to watch it again.Thats unusual for a Nolan film.
Re watched hero which was canny 7-10

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #22,806 of 24,615
Just watched Kajillionaire. Man, talk about a quirky movie. You can file this one under "not for everyone", as it's really an odd movie. Definitely worth watching if you're into weird movies, though.

I had kind of a different expectation going into the movie, reading descriptions of it. I sorta expected it to be, for lack of better words, some sort of trailer trash heist movie. The main family is about as down on their luck as you can get, on top of seeming to be well within the autism spectrum. They do little nickle and dime cons and theft just to get by, but they happen upon a new con that can set them up for a good while, netting them a cool $1500 (!). I expected that to be the crux of the story, but it's really not. The movie is more of a character study of some of the most pathetic people I've seen in a movie, most notably the main character "Old Dolio". I won't get into too much about what makes her so sad, but let's just say it starts with her name and it really doesn't get much better after that.

There's a lot of weird humor in the movie, stemming from the fact that the main family has a really strange... Way about them? A lot of awkward situations, misunderstandings, misinformation, and it's clear that Old Dolio really never stood a chance of growing up normal.

Being so weird, it's hard to really nail down a rating. I could see myself not liking the movie as much if I'm in a certain mindset. I think I'll give it a 9/10 and give it a rewatch at some point.

Also, to give a glimpse into what I mean by weird, I think this screen grab sums it up well.
Untitled.jpg

Not outright hilarious, but not surreal. Just... Weird.

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #22,807 of 24,615
Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath (Season 1) - 10/10

One of the most mind blowing documentaries i've seen. I seriously cannot believe some of the stuff that goes on and it's not just isolated incidents. I had general ideas about what Scientology was like, but after watching this I realized I was totally clueless. No and I don't believe everything I hear in a documentary.

This documentary is a bit different to me and kind of unique. I was fascinated by every single story and pretty much glued to the TV set. I really felt like I was just listening to a bunch of friends talk about their experiences with a "religion". Not one of them made me think they were just making up things.

The documentary "Wild, Wild Country" is pretty crazy, but some of the stuff that was described in this seems nearly just as bad.

After watching Season 1 I felt It was one of the best documentaries i've seen in the last year. Read later it won an Emmy and I wasn't surprised at all.

I'm now on Season 3 and realized I may have been watching at least 20 hours of all this so far. There were really no tedious or boring episodes.

I'm losing some slight interest in Season 3 but will finish it soon.

Small Axe: Mangrove - 4/10

Started out good enough and I felt bad for what happened, but I just felt this was pretty dull to sit through and not very good. The acting is pretty good and same goes for the Cinematography.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - 5/10

Sorry to sound like a scrooge, but this is really one of the most unfunny Christmas movies there is.

Not one really good funny part, but Cousin Eddie is somewhat amusing.

Maybe it's just not my type of comedy. My favorites are "Home Alone" and "Elf" (!).

Manhunt: Deadly Games - 8/10 (New Netflix Limited Series)

Despite the 8 rating, this feels like a huge downgrade in overall quality compared to the previous one called "Unabomber".
All of the actors in this are pretty much unknown to me and possibly most everyone.
There is just so much variation in how good each actor is. None of them are bad, but some of the most important characters have slightly below average acting skills.
The best actor IMO was the guy who played Richard Jewell.

The story-line dealing with Richard Jewell and the bombing were the best parts. The parts where they were tracking down Eric Rudolph...not so much.
The scenes where the FBI was working with the militia groups were pretty hilariously bad in some parts. I felt like I watching an episode of "Walker: Texas Ranger".

The acting at times is just a bit awkward for whatever reason.
I don't know if this movie is accurate or not, but it's apparently based on a book.

PS just watch "Manhunt: Unabomber" first. I think I gave that a 9 or 10.

Dec 27, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #22,808 of 24,615
Soul - (8.5/10)

I thought this one was entertaining. I'm tired of Toy Story sequels, and something different for a change. Computer animation visuals has gotten really good. New York rendering is done really well.

pixar-reveals-new-poster-for-soul-and-teases-trailer-release-tomorrow.jpeg

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #22,809 of 24,615
Marriage Story...Starring Scarlet Johansson and Adam Driver. I liked it and there’s a lot of originality to it. It’s kind of like an independent/art house type of movie. I tend to prefer these types of movies and usually these types of films are regarded to be the best movies among serious film aficionados.

I give it a B. I would have preferred a different cast but still, the actors performed well.

31774703-85B8-4966-B283-4DF968635350.jpeg

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #22,810 of 24,615
Soul - (8.5/10)

I thought this one was entertaining. I'm tired of Toy Story sequels, and something different for a change. Computer animation visuals has gotten really good. New York rendering is done really well.

Loved Toy Story 4. So much so that I watched twice in theaters. Top 3 most anticipated movies of all time based on trailers: Toy Story 4, Watchmen, and Mad Max Fury Road. They all had amazing trailers. TS4 was really sentimental and nostalgic for me. Watchmen because I loved the comic and seeing the extended trailers with the Comedian intro was so satisfying. And Mad Max Fury Road trailer was epic, and I love some good car chase sequences (Ronin for example) and seemingly long time between edits action sequences.

Started watching Soul with wife then switched to browsing internet on phone while sitting next to. Movie stank of typical Soulless Disney money grubs... I wont say more.

Marriage Story...Starring Scarlet Johansson and Adam Driver. I liked it and there’s a lot of originality to it. It’s kind of like an independent/art house type of movie. I tend to prefer these types of movies and usually these types of films are regarded to be the best movies among serious film aficionados.

I give it a B. I would have preferred a different cast but still, the actors performed well.

Love Noah Baumbach movies. Most or all of his films are or have been on Netflix, and other streaming services. Love that he used Adam Sandler in previous film - whom is one of my favorite actors. Sandler was written to be in Tarantino’s Inglorious Basterds, but there was a scheduling conflict on Adam’s side (Funny People). Inglorious Basterds with Sandler in a small role like the Bear Jew would have been enough to make that movie in my top ten... effing Funny People.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #22,811 of 24,615
Loved Toy Story 4. So much so that I watched twice in theaters. Top 3 most anticipated movies of all time based on trailers: Toy Story 4, Watchmen, and Mad Max Fury Road. They all had amazing trailers. TS4 was really sentimental and nostalgic for me. Watchmen because I loved the comic and seeing the extended trailers with the Comedian intro was so satisfying. And Mad Max Fury Road trailer was epic, and I love some good car chase sequences (Ronin for example) and seemingly long time between edits action sequences.

Started watching Soul with wife then switched to browsing internet on phone while sitting next to. Movie stank of typical Soulless Disney money grubs... I wont say more.

Love Noah Baumbach movies. Most or all of his films are or have been on Netflix, and other streaming services. Love that he used Adam Sandler in previous film - whom is one of my favorite actors. Sandler was written to be in Tarantino’s Inglorious Basterds, but there was a scheduling conflict on Adam’s side (Funny People). Inglorious Basterds with Sandler in a small role like the Bear Jew would have been enough to make that movie in my top ten... effing Funny People.
Personally, TS3 and 4 were the ones that started getting old. TS1 I enjoyed when fresh, but now I can't stand any of them. Incredibles held up fine throughout times. Mad Max was entertaining in which I have a UHD copy due to the stunning visual masterpiece.

Souls is not for eveybody I take it as it's not really like other Pixar movies more catered to children. I have doubts it really caters to children like the others. It's more for adults it seems.

I don't watch most children's movies, I just can't relate to them anymore. I prefer anime, but that became very cutsy girl types recently I cannot stand. I like 90's variety of experimentations.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #22,812 of 24,615
Watched both Wonder Women movies the other night. The first one is a classic superhero flick that was decent but maybe a bit CGI-heavy. The second one (WW84) was like watching something that tried to make fun of the 80s.. The first one I would IMDB date at around 6, the second more like 5.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #22,813 of 24,615
Personally, TS3 and 4 were the ones that started getting old. TS1 I enjoyed when fresh, but now I can't stand any of them. Incredibles held up fine throughout times. Mad Max was entertaining in which I have a UHD copy due to the stunning visual masterpiece.

Souls is not for eveybody I take it as it's not really like other Pixar movies more catered to children. I have doubts it really caters to children like the others. It's more for adults it seems.

Didnt watch all of Soul so cant dispute. Just Got bad vibes. Also, maybe its too smart for me, like Jazz.

Mad Max, I also have UHD. :) My non-hdr non-uhd Samsung plasma still looks better than my newer Samsung uhd hdr lcd. Need oled or projector.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #22,814 of 24,615
Watched both Wonder Women movies the other night. The first one is a classic superhero flick that was decent but maybe a bit CGI-heavy. The second one (WW84) was like watching something that tried to make fun of the 80s.. The first one I would IMDB date at around 6, the second more like 5.
Yeah, decided to skip this one since the first one was bleh for me. Gal Gadot very beautiful though.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #22,815 of 24,615
Didnt watch all of Soul so cant dispute. Just Got bad vibes. Also, maybe its too smart for me, like Jazz.

Mad Max, I also have UHD. :) My non-hdr non-uhd Samsung plasma still looks better than my newer Samsung uhd hdr lcd. Need oled or projector.
I was actually hoping it would be much about jazz, but not enough for me. I guess not possible since children movie, although not really children's movie. Jut a mellow movie about a mid-life crisis. lol

Please finish Soul. It's good for your soul, lol.

UHD OLED is the way to go. I think LED tech has gotten real good so no point of comparison of today's tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back