Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 1, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #22,651 of 24,599
Yeah, definitely not "underrated". 248,000 votes on IMDB at 7.4 rating. Seems correct, I like the movie as well.
okay well it´s underrated then it´s above 8 on the imdb we are scared to give more then 7 scale :)

Aug 15, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #22,653 of 24,599
The Pianist (2002) - 9.5

The Pianist.jpg

Aug 23, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #22,655 of 24,599
9AA3619C-1D91-4BB1-8DC6-1271D21B09EB.jpeg

“We're not gonna get rid of anybody! We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be! When you side with a man, you stay with him! And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished! *We're* finished! All of us!”

The Wild Bunch

10/10

Incredibly violent and shot on a giant scale. A new era of Western Movie for 1969.....you can only imagine the stir it caused with it’s inherent over the top-ness. High art of photography and script techniques, the plot is excellent as well as following a perfect pace. I was glued to the screen for just short of 2.5 hours.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #22,656 of 24,599
High Score - 3/10

I'm a huge fan of video games and have been playing them since the NES first came out. Been addicted ever since. Unfortunately this is one of the worst documentaries i've ever seen. It's just painful to sit through. How do you make a video game documentary so boring and not much fun to watch?

John Was Trying to Contact Aliens - 1/10

What the heck? Wondering also what Netflix was thinking by releasing this very bad documentary.
Luckily it's short.

Fear City: New York vs the Mafia - 6/10

Skip it unless you are really bored.
Netflix needs to make more documentaries as good as "The Pharmacist" and "Making a Murderer".

Really missing the show "Ultimate Beastmaster". Probably cancelled but they didn't bother to tell us.
It's similar to American Ninja Warrior. I wish I could watch all episodes of that but seems to not be on any streaming services.

Also tried watching "Dark" series on Netflix. Nice cinematography, but it's the slowest moving TV show i've seen. Almost 5 episodes in and almost nothing happens! Gave up on it and what i've seen would get a 5/10.

The series "Yellowstone" is on my radar. Anyone seen it? What would you rate it?

I really need to find more TV shows as good as Doc Martin, Walking Dead and Better Call Saul.

Aug 28, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #22,657 of 24,599
Tenet

Slightly disappointing, and sorely mystifying. Nolan tries to 1-up his previous movies, but falls short of his (usually) high standards.

(a low) 7/10

1598649678819.png

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #22,659 of 24,599
Class Action Park 2020

9/10
A documentary about the worlds most dangerous amusement park and it's creator. A nice flash back centering around another time when folks felt more safe and did daring stuff.

Class Action Park is a warmly relived tale by the kids who survived; contrasted by some sadness and questions by others with a different story.

class-action-park-header.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #22,660 of 24,599
World's Toughest Race: Eco Challenge Fiji - 7/10

(Brand new Prime TV series)

So disappointed that this was partly ruined by lots of added non-sense that wasn't needed.
It seems like they spent more time on the participants stories than on the actual race.
When all you want to see is the race action they always cut to these annoying interviews.
Just do a voice-over instead or some type of commentary.
Some of them are very good, but there are just too many of them.

Then they didn't seem to have enough cameras to show all the teams. For example, there is only a 30 second section showing the Japanese team.
They mostly focused on the American teams and all the leaders. A few of the teams way in the back too.

The way they made the show is just aggravating. You can binge watch some of it, but they repeat so much of the stories we already heard about.
It also feels like a general overview of the actual race. There is really no way to film all the teams. There is 66 of them!

Yes, to me this REALLY does seem like the world's toughest race. One of the people in it said that it was even harder than climbing Mount Everest.
The guy who did 50 Ironman races in 50 days in 50 states was also in it. Not going to ruin it. I think he said this was harder.

I hope they continue the series and more streaming services have similar content.
They just need to improve it a LOT.
Netflix also needs to bring back Ultimate Beastmaster ASAP! Loved that show.
It's sort of like American Ninja Warrior.

PS By far the best storyline was that of Mace and his son doing the Eco Challenge.
Mace is an older guy suffering from Alzheimer's and I can't believe how well he did.

Sep 12, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #22,661 of 24,599
Citizen Kane - 6.5/10

Boring, and don't understand why it's still one of the best movies of all time. There were many better movies that came out over the years after it's release. Only justification I found online was that it was a movie that started a new way of making movies with the camera, in how the shots were made. It's irrelevant in today's times, and shouldn't be ranked so high making people think it's all that. Which it really wasn't. It's just another old movie as far as I see it.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #22,662 of 24,599
Citizen Kane - 6.5/10

Boring, and don't understand why it's still one of the best movies of all time. There were many better movies that came out over the years after it's release. Only justification I found online was that it was a movie that started a new way of making movies with the camera, in how the shots were made. It's irrelevant in today's times, and shouldn't be ranked so high making people think it's all that. Which it really wasn't. It's just another old movie as far as I see it.

That’s true for a lot of old movies... In this case, if it doesn’t matter to you who invented the language of film and if the innovators who created the vocabulary have the same currency to you as the ones who use that vocabulary now, it does diminish the value of the film. Likewise, if the historical details of Welles making the film as a way of publicly provoking William Randolph Hearst by loosely basing the film on his life and earning the film a blacklist don’t matter to you either, it looses more points, and I can see how it wouldn’t be that impressive overall. Personally I think other Welles films are better, but I understand why some rank Citizen Kane so highly.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #22,663 of 24,599
Citizen Kane - 6.5/10

That's precisely how I felt too when I watched "Citizen Kane" a decade ago for the first time. I guess most of the public opinion (until the internet entered our lives) was influenced and even shaped, if not entirely created by the small community of 'connoisseurs' working in news media and especially those intellectuals and critics associated with films and books. And the fact that "Citizen Kane" is by Orson Welles (who was the darling of both insiders and outsiders) and is about media and a media mogul helped. Most truths were manufactured for centuries in any industry, arts and politics and history, in particular. And creating 'manufactured hits' in film industry that would triumph at both box office and media reviews has also been not so uncommon for decades. We grow up as children in a conditioned society. Some of us grow up into individuals with true individualism and an original sense of judgment who would break free from the conditioned thinking but most others grow up only in biological age and continue to think like the way they have always been conditioned to. So, when we come across a hundred different Top-10 greatest films of all-time from different 'reliable' sources and most of them feature "Citizen Kane" as #1, 9 out of 10 readers believe it should be true and watch the same. Irrespective of how many of those 10 actually end up liking the film, most of them surely will go on to tell others that it is indeed one of the Top-3 films ever made. Ditto, most paintings and other art works or even coffee or headphones -a blind test could prove many wrong. And that's the beauty of art too -there needs to be no clear creative rationale why one must like or dislike something. If Stanley Kubrick were alive, he might have loved to make a parody of this state of affairs the way he took up "The Red Alert", a serious book on Cold War and turned it into the greatest comedy of all time, "Dr.Strangelove". And until someone does something similar, the small minority of mankind amongst us that actually owns an original sense of judgment and refuses to continue to think the way society conditioned us continue to post on threads like this honest opinions on films they watched -especially when one comes to realize one actually didn't like a film that is 'said to be' universally loved. Because, that way, one day, those that actually can be loved universally, could move up the ranks gradually, for the benefit of future generation viewers/listeners/users. Coming to my own personal likes and dislikes, here are some 'classic' films I found utterly unworthy of the praise they received and still receive, YMMV, of course: "Gone with the Wind", "Citizen Kane", almost all of Hitchcock works except maybe "North by Northwest", almost all David Lynch films, I know some of you want to kill me, "Barry Lyndon" and "Lolita" -surprisingly by Kubrick himself, whose every other film I find very original and honest and supremely collectible, pretty much every Merchant Ivory production, Bogart-starrer "African Queen" apart from a hundred other films that are otherwise greatly received, reviewed and loved by millions. And of course, there are hundreds of films that do deserve the spot they earned in the annals of history and I loved watching the same. Here are some of them for contrast (and created during the same old decades in film history and even featuring the same actors/directors): "Casablanca", "It Happened One Night", "On the Waterfront", "A Clockwork Orange", "Sabrina", both the original and the remake, almost every single film by Billy Wilder (except "Irma la Douce" that also happens to be a media favorite), almost every David Lean film (except "Dr.Zhivago" that's a darling of lot of reviewers and even audience). Coming to new-age filmmakers from the 90s till now, I know how much the legions of fans of Tarantino and even common folk love "Pulp Fiction" and "Reservoir Dogs" and consider the same to be his greatest works and almost all his films pure gold but I find "Jackie Brown", "Kill Bill-1" and "Death Proof" to be the only films that deserve any praise and almost all other works to be very mediocre. Same goes to the Nolan fan boys: I find "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" to be his only two works that I find really great. "Memento" is plain self-indulgence on the director's part that I lost interest 30 minutes into it and I find all the films that followed on similar 'mind-bending' themes, "Inception", "Interstellar", "Tenet" etc to be just a continued exercise with bigger budgets and stronger cast and larger canvases. Sure, millions of people loved most films I didn't like but the idea of this thread is to present our likes and dislikes in all the honesty and courage we can collect from behind the firewall. So that's what I just did. I don't mean to hurt anybody's religious sentiments nor pull down crowd-favorites. I am lucky to be living in times where one can actually access everything one loves to enjoy watching/listening/doing and also share the impressions of one's adventures with people like you all, some of whom might or might not share my likes and dislikes. Thank you.

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #22,664 of 24,599
Nightcrawlerfilm.jpg

"Nightcrawler: 5.5/10

I avoided watching this film for three years simply because the poster and the trailer gave me an impression that it is heavily inspired by "Taxi Driver" but with, of course, an original story. I watched it last night and find it to be a good film. Yes, "Taxi Driver" is the mother of all such films, for sure but one can't deny a good work like "Nightcrawler" its due credit. I recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back