Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jun 21, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #22,606 of 24,615
I watched Hereditary mainly due to the Midsommar hype. I dont think Ill bother to watch Midsommar now. Hereditary is not bad at all. My expectation was that it was a film you ‘add to your netflix que because you heard its decent and is something you would like to watch someday just not now because it doesnt seem that interesting’. Based on critics ratings I thought it could potentially be more but my general experience with ‘well-done’ horror films is that I will not like it as much because Im not a big fan of the genre.
Hereditary was a healthy injection of vigor and freshness in a genre that has become clichéd and dull. It isn't the best out-and-out horror movie, but more of a slow, psychological fall into the depths of hell. It started off slow and brooding, and took quite a while to get going, but the final act was well worth the wait, I feel.

Midsommar, on the other hand, was just.... plain weird. It wasn't a horror movie, nor was it a bona fide thriller. Essentially, it felt like a 21st-century take on The Wicker Man (the original, of course); however, it failed in that regard, IMO.

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #22,607 of 24,615
A TALE OF TWO SISTERS 7.5/10(at least-may rewatch tonight)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365376/
No spoilers from me-a must watch.
at 1 am i heard my son go to the toilet.i immediately opened my door and when he came out in the dark i was creeping along the landing.i uttered a cry and he jumped.the wife was in another room and screamed-both dogs were frightened out of their wits.im only 55-whats a guy to do.

MV5BMDMyNDE0ZmQtZTVhZC00M2Q1LTljNmUtYjFiNzljNGNjOTA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_SY1000_CR...jpg

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #22,608 of 24,615
A TALE OF TWO SISTERS 7.5/10(at least-may rewatch tonight)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365376/
No spoilers from me-a must watch.
at 1 am i heard my son go to the toilet.i immediately opened my door and when he came out in the dark i was creeping along the landing.i uttered a cry and he jumped.the wife was in another room and screamed-both dogs were frightened out of their wits.im only 55-whats a guy to do.

Oh, yes, this is a good movie. It gets a solid 7.5/10 for me.

On other hand, the US remake, The Uninvited, has a rather fitting name. That one's an abysmal 3/10.

Jun 23, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #22,610 of 24,615
86443CFF-DAD4-4A09-9F1C-8B53249D93A5.jpeg
Spoiler free:

The last horror movie I recall finding completely delightful was Housebound (2014). I was in the very rare mood for a scary movie. I took a chance based on the trailer. The first half did not disappoint. The second half is where it surprised me (positively). Rating: 4/5

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #22,611 of 24,615
Best horror move I have seen in a Long time. Is the recent Invisible Man.

I usually try not to watch trailers when I watch a good movie. I wish I had not with this one. If you haven’t or don’t know what it is about try to avoid it. It is kind of a “suspense horror“ I would call it as opposed to a gore horror. Was exteremely surprised how much I enjoyed this movie.

9/10 for me.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #22,613 of 24,615
Alone: The Arctic (Season 6) - 8/10

Random Netflix survival reality show that popped up as one of my suggestions.
Never heard of it before and was immediately hooked.
It seems to not have a lot of filler-filled non-sense to waste our time like on some other similar shows.
No scripted events I think.

Ten contestants are stuck in The Arctic and have to survive alone for as long as they can.
The last one remaining wins $500,000. They also can only bring 10 items. No food is given to them.
It's also close to the coldest part of the winter so they have to try to get a shelter built ASAP.

There doesn't seem to be any camera operators and they film everything themselves I believe.
This is sort of a negative, but that's OK.

One other negative is that there is a lot of commercial cuts where it starts to get somewhat suspenseful.
Then you have these annoying intros every time they switch to a different person.

They also don't seem to have enough footage for everyone. I swear they didn't show any for some of them until like day 7.

It also gets a bit repetitive. It's a very slow moving show, but never boring. It's at it's best towards the end.

I'd probably not adapt very well and have to leave in less than a week!
I'd probably have problems with sitting there watching a Moose die for 3 hours straight or putting a squirrel out of it's misery.
Of course there are no guns and they can bring a bow if they want.

It's also interesting how the body (in these conditions) doesn't seem to do too well when you consume only low fat animal protein for days at a time.
They'd probably do a lot better if they could somehow find more carbs in the form of plants or fruit (blueberries were found).
Basically little chance of that in winter.
It seems also that'd you'd do better on fish due to the high Omega3 content rather than Moose (which has little fat they said).

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #22,614 of 24,615
E5E25322-2EA9-4DFE-8F4D-E564CFA486D1.jpeg

“M” 1931 5-10

This was good though I liked the little known 1951 remake better.
2E56C9E8-B060-4CD0-BDE2-0A8B23B09DBF.jpeg

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #22,615 of 24,615
What Happened To Monday

Here's an interesting take on a rather dystopian future where society is on the brink of collapse, and the only solution is to limit the number of offspring in each family to 1.

7/10.

1593617183236.png

Jul 6, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #22,616 of 24,615
The Vast of Night - 10/10

Turned it on at 2am with no plans on finishing it. Fifteen minutes in and I'm thinking "What the heck is going on?". Nothing but people talking non-stop about non-sense nobody cares about it or is very important to the story. The look of the movie kind of keeps me watching and I hope it gets better. After awhile i'm glued to the TV screen to the very end.

Basically it borrows ideas from tons of old Sci-fi movies, but somehow manages to be somewhat original. A lot of it reminded me of set designs from Fallout 3. I imagine the film makers were fans of that series. I was reminded of Three Dog and all those abandoned radio stations.

I think this will be one that you will either love or hate. It's almost ALL dialogue/people talking. I doubt there was much of a budget for this movie, but it's surprising how good they could make it.

You also kind of need to be in the mood for this. It's pretty slow. There is a certain tone to the entire movie, which is kind of rare. It also takes place entirely at night.

Not likely they will release this on Blu-Ray, but they should. I'd buy it. I hope they give whoever made this a bigger budget for a sequel or another movie.

PS this is a new Amazon Studios release in case you didn't know.

7500 - 8/10

I wonder why on earth they thought an ultra realistic Airplane hijacking movie would be a good idea for movie right now?
To say the least, this is not my kind of movie. It's not one of those dumb entertaining action movies like "Executive Decision" or "Air Force One".
It almost felt a bit too real at times. The entire movie is really just told from the perspective of the pilot and not much else.
I found it to be pretty intense and sort of a little disturbing. I kind of hate that type of movie.
Some of the acting from smaller roles is bad, but the acting from Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Omid Memar is really good at least.
LOL I can just imagine some people out there giving this a 1/10 because they were offended when they portrayed one of the hijackers as having a brain/conscience.
Some of the pilots decisions make absolutely no sense to me, but maybe they get training in how to deal with situations like this. Not sure.

BTW I can seriously not imagine this movie playing in USA theaters and making any sort of money. It's not entertaining really and not a fun movie to watch, but still worth watching.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #22,618 of 24,615
Managed to watch Fargo finally. Season-1 was the best. Really really well-written, performed and filmed in the true Coen Brothers' tradition. It tapered off from there: Season-2 was bearable and Season-3 was too contrived.

I might be the only one here but I actually found the original film, "Fargo" (and "No Country for Old Men" as well as the universally loved "The Big Lebowski") very underwhelming despite being an admirer of Coen Brothers' works in general. I find "O Brother Where Art Thou?" and "Raising Arizona" to be their best works. Followed by "Inside Llewyn Davis", "Burn After Reading", "Intolerable Cruelty". And their writing in "The Bridge of Spies". You know how people talk about how great Ridley Scott is in creating 'atmosphere' to set his characters and drama in? Coen Brothers are even better at that - Americana as American as it gets.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #22,620 of 24,615
Ju-On: Origins

It's not a movie, but a short series based on the popular "Ju-On" films. Creepy... really creepy. If you love horror, like I do, you'll be sure to love this one. Remember to turn off the lights! :wink:

8/10

Ju-On Origins.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back