Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Nov 16, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #22,366 of 24,630
Jour De Fete - 10/10 (The Big Day)

This was the first film by Jacques Tati and I found it to be one of his funniest by far.
Right now I have only one more film of his to watch (Parade). Hopefully someday I can get his box set with every Blu-Ray.
PS this was by far the funniest film i've seen all year. I haven't laughed so hard at something in about forever.
I really need to watch more comedies. I really seem to watch way too many war movies or things that are depressing!
You can tell that many actors or directors were probably inspired by this film and borrowed some ideas.
For example, the bicycle race scene from "Pee Wee's Big Adventure".

BTW I think these are my favorites by the director in order:

1) Mon Oncle
2) Jour De Fete
3) Trafic
4) Mr. Hulot's Holiday
5) Playtime

Probably now one of my favorite directors right behind Hirokazu Koreeda.
Hard to believe I only finally started watching his films less than a year ago!

Also, heard there is a color version of this movie available and it's NOT done with a computer.
Surprised the Amazon rental is in black and white.

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #22,367 of 24,630
El Camino - (7/10)

Superb acting (as with all Breaking Bads) and cinematography, but other than that, not much of a story. It's nice to get tiny bit more of Breaking Bad, but it's not all that substantial. I went through and got to the ending, and I was like, that's it?

In terms of visual direction, very good. I don't know who is in charge of the visuals, but they are very good at it. Cinematography is stunning. 4K HDR is stunning to look at for this one (give points for that). Now I'm interested in re-watching Breaking Bad series if they were all filmed in 4K HDR.

breakingbad.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #22,368 of 24,630
Lion King - cgi version 2019 - (6/10)

They just cgi'd the original animation. The way animals were portrey'd in cgi looked technically impressive, but it wasn't as effective as the 2d hand drawn animation of the original. Also, they didn't go into a more original direction, they just re-animated the original screenplay. What's the point? Anyway, not all that big on the original Disney cartoons to begin with. I find Hayao Miyazaki's cartoons more interesting.

p14113286_v_v13_af.jpg

Nov 17, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #22,369 of 24,630
"10 Minutes Gone" : 3/10

Following a bank robbery that goes wrong, a man loses 10 minutes of his memory.

A "B" movie without interest, the action not always well orchestrated, approximations in the scenario.

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #22,370 of 24,630
Midway 10/10. Not sure what to complain about. Yes it´s hollywood but subdued to very tolerable levels. Action scenes are superbly done.

Nov 19, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #22,372 of 24,630
Dolemite is my name- 8/10

Super entertaining look at the backstory of a classic Blaxploitation film.

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #22,373 of 24,630
Silence of the Lambs - 7/10

Probably haven't seen this one since 2000 or so.
I really don't see what's so great about this film.
Sure it's well made and has good acting, but it's kind of really dull to me and not very interesting.
Not very thrilling at all to me either, even the last scene.
The best part though was the escape sequence.
I'm also surprised that this is considered by some to be a horror film!

PS somehow I was actually expecting this to be a lot more disturbing and graphic. It's really not.
Something like "Seven" was way worse! I seriously cannot watch movies like that.

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #22,374 of 24,630
Jack Ryan: Season 2 - 7/10

Season 1 was really good so I just had to watch this.
It's not bad, but nowhere near as good as the first. I think I gave that a 9/10. When I saw it I was just surprised how good it was.
This seems to be at it's best during the action sequences.
This show would be nowhere near as good without Wendell Pierce and John Krasinski.
The acting from everyone is actually above average except for that of 1 or 2 actors in smaller roles.
Main negative is there is way too many political and family scenes that are not too important to the story.

Nov 22, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #22,375 of 24,630
El Camino 7
Parasite 7.5
Once upon a time in hollywood 7
Snowpiercer 6.5
The Mandalorian--------wow wow wow at the moment

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #22,376 of 24,630
21 Bridges. 10/10!
This could have been called Grand Theft Auto: the Movie. If you've played the game, you'll probably love this flick. Fast and intense, starts getting heavy around the seven minute mark and doesn't really let up. The trailer does NOT do it justice.

Nov 23, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #22,377 of 24,630
Parasite 9/10. I'm probably late to the party on this one but it was an amazing flick. I hated the protagonists and "villains" almost equally.
Great acting and a rather unique experience, bravo.
I wonder why critics thinks it's so great? I thought it was fun to watch like other Bong Joon Ho films, but nothing groundbreaking IMO. I've head people say film of the year, etc.. There are Korean films I liked better. What I like about BJH's films are, they have interesting stories you can get immersed, and they are unique, not the typical cliche Hollywood crap. I like the stories in his films.

Nov 23, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #22,378 of 24,630
One Child Nation - (8/10)

I think it's a bit over-rated at Rotten tomatoes, but it's an interesting documentary. I'm always up for interesting documentaries. This is more of a personal piece film by Chinese woman, and doesn't seem like a big production like National Geographic. National Geographic can churn out fake documentaries as well (I heard Shaolin Monk one was sensationalized), but this one has to pretty genuine. I think there could have been more stuff in the documentary to provide more information on the One Child law in China. This one child law always intrigued me, and somewhat satisfied my intrigue, but I think more can be learned. Although I rate it 8/10, the subject matter deserves 10/10.

You know what they say, "The truth shell set you free."

p16821884_p_v8_aa.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #22,379 of 24,630
Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks - (9.5/10)

It's a documentary. I'm quite biased with this ranking because I grew up during the times of Hong Kong Cinema golden days. Hong Kong Cinema ruled the world in those days, and they were not well recognized for a time until Hollywood ruined the directors. It goes into how Kung Fu cinema began, and how evolved over the years. I find it quite fascinating!

Attachments

• iron-fists-a-003621_1197.jpg
    iron-fists-a-003621_1197.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 0
  • iron_fists_and_kung_fu_kicks_02web__large.jpg
    iron_fists_and_kung_fu_kicks_02web__large.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #22,380 of 24,630
A Quiet Place - 9/10

I generally hate scary movies and horror movies in general, but this was really very good.
There is almost no graphic violence or gore in this movie, which is kind of a plus for me.

PS I hated the marketing they did for this movie, even hate the box covers for it etc. Made me NOT watch to watch it.

I've probably seen less than a dozen horror movies in my life. I'm OK with seeing more, but none really interest me.

One I absolutely love is "The Walking Dead" of course. I like the end of the world/survival aspect of it though the most.
I hope that show never ends. It's the first show that really got me into watching ANY TV shows regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back