Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 10, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #22,263 of 24,599
Wild at Heart

10/10

Aug 10, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #22,265 of 24,599
I love David Lynch, but I wouldn't even put Wild at Heart in his top 5. 10/10 is pretty generous.

Is it your favorite of his?

Yes, haven’t seen The Elephant Man since it came out. Dune would be the least favorite. Mulholland Dr.....too confusing... Lost Highway up in top five. Blue Velvet in top five. But I just saw Wild At Heart with my brother...also the second time to see it again this year. I like it even more? Maybe seeing it with someone who could love the movie? Seeing on a 65” screen, in HD, made it better? It’s stupid in a way but the mood is somehow timeless? My brother also said it was one of the best movies he had ever seen. It was his first Lynch movie....lol. Though he had seen his made for TV stuff, which he said helped him understand Wild at Heart? I saw Wild at Heart first maybe in 1996? Though Blue Velvet is way more famous? The thing is you can go back later in life and David Lynch movies mean something different due to your own life experience reflecting off them. I may try Mulholland Dr again this year. Saw it once but it’s a movie of his I need to revisit, last time I attempted it, it was way too slow? Didn’t even understand Lost HWY for ten years, till a buddy at work explained the movie in one sentence. He explained Mulholland Dr. in one sentience too. Lol

Aug 10, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #22,266 of 24,599
My opinion is that Mulholland Drive is his best film. I find it funny that you like Lost Highway but think Mulholland Drive confusing. I think Lost Highway is far more confusing.

Give Mulholland Drive another go, I think you will appreciate it more. I can also highly recommend The Straight Story.

Aug 10, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #22,267 of 24,599
I’ll give “The Straight Story” a try. Lost Highway does have some parts that may never be answered. It almost follows some form of symbolism? But the Wikipedia article explains most of what it’s about. To tell you the truth it was wonderful not knowing what it was about for ten years. For me being confused adds a mysterious component. But learning what the movie is about later makes you realize that Lynch actually had firm goals. I must have seen Blue Velvet in 1986? It views as almost a completely different movie now when I see it. Somehow we bring our life experience along when digesting a plot? Blue Velvet was a movie that I didn’t realize was so very weird until a friend saw it at our house. It’s one of those movies that unsuspecting viewers don’t forget I think? Lol

I’ve seen Mulholland Dr......but rewatching his movies is an experience. I’ll just have to rewatch Mulholland Dr. Cheers!

Sadly the “David Lynch Universe” is really only a few films.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #22,268 of 24,599
wait, we're supposed to understand those movies? :astonished:
Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway are my favorite ones. I saw Lost Highway having no idea who Lynch was, what the movie was about, or anything(not like the title or the poster were any help). I had a few hours to kill in an unfamiliar area of Paris and tried that. I vividly remember walking out of the theater in a daze and after a while, thinking: "don't think!!! if you start thinking you'll lose that feeling!!!". and it was gone.

now, full disclosure: over the years, about 100% of the people I advised to watch Lost Highway, disliked it, got bored, and thought it was a prank. so I'm starting to suspect that it's just a weird movie for a special kind of weirdos that I happen to be a part of.

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #22,269 of 24,599
wait, we're supposed to understand those movies? :astonished:
Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway are my favorite ones. I saw Lost Highway having no idea who Lynch was, what the movie was about, or anything(not like the title or the poster were any help). I had a few hours to kill in an unfamiliar area of Paris and tried that. I vividly remember walking out of the theater in a daze and after a while, thinking: "don't think!!! if you start thinking you'll lose that feeling!!!". and it was gone.

now, full disclosure: over the years, about 100% of the people I advised to watch Lost Highway, disliked it, got bored, and thought it was a prank. so I'm starting to suspect that it's just a weird movie for a special kind of weirdos that I happen to be a part of.

Lynch movies are for an acquired taste for sure. I was a big fan of Twin Peaks before I started watching his movies, so I wasn't too weirded out by them.

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #22,272 of 24,599
Battle Angel Alita- 6.3/10

Not quite as good as the manga but that's to be expected, the bug eyes were kinda weird but a decent fodder flick otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back