Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 8, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #22,158 of 24,617
9E7FF7BA-651E-42AC-AEDD-AFC20E3E38B2.jpeg

From 2012, a decidedly non “Hollywood” style of thing. 8-10

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #22,160 of 24,617
Battle of the Bulge: Wunderland (2018) - 4/10

Easily one of the worst WWII movies i've seen in a long time.
I think the budget was probably just way too low. They should have spent more of it on decent acting.
The acting from everyone is awful. Most of them seem like they are just reading lines from a script.

Pretty funny how they decided to add fake snowflakes in the movie.
Then you have one single shot from a tank that looks like a laser beam.

I also was kind of amused how they had so many shots of the ground and dead leaves and grass.
Lots of nature shots. I think they must have thought they were making a Terrence Malick war film.
Even parts of the soundtrack sound as if they were ripped right out of "The Thin Red Line" or even parts of "Interstellar"!
The cinematography was OK and probably the only "OK" thing about the movie.

When the credits rolled I actually started laughing out loud. What makes it worst is that it's not happy ending.
It just came out of nowhere and as if they couldn't come up with something better.

This makes the original look like some sort of masterpiece.
I think I gave that one a 6/10 or so but I actually like it.
I've seen it a dozen times now.
Not an accurate war movie at all, but somewhat entertaining.
I actually don't know what scenes of it ARE accurate.
I know the massacre in the woods is based on true events.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #22,162 of 24,617
Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (1953) - 8/10

I was watching my blu-ray of "Modern Times" and in the booklet they mention the comedies of of Jacques Tati.
Heard about his films at least 20 years ago and wanted to give them a try and finally did.

This is the first film with Mr. Hulot (starring the director Jacques Tati).
Pretty funny overall and it's pretty obvious that Mr. Bean got some of his ideas from him.
I think this one would get better after more viewings.
I don't know why, but my favorite scene was the tennis match.

Mon Oncle (1958) - 10/10

Second movie in the Mr. Hulot "series". Probably one of the best movies i've seen in maybe five years!
It's also one of the funniest. Two scenes were some of the funniest things i've seen in a long long time.
I actually now want to buy the movie so I can get my mom to watch it. She's a fan of Charlie Chaplin and Marx Brothers movies.

PS if you hate subtitles you can still enjoy this without them I think. There is not very much dialogue.

BTW i'd be interested in knowing if his films are still popular in France.

Modern Times - 10/10

I've seen this enough to know it's pretty much perfect.
Hard to believe this is a silent film.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #22,164 of 24,617

decent and pretty mad 7/10

a bitter sweet life-recommended

ahhh, some good old movies with reasonable proportionate response to some events. ^_^ I don't think I'll ever have enough of those.

Mon Oncle (1958) - 10/10

Second movie in the Mr. Hulot "series". Probably one of the best movies i've seen in maybe five years!
It's also one of the funniest. Two scenes were some of the funniest things i've seen in a long long time.
I actually now want to buy the movie so I can get my mom to watch it. She's a fan of Charlie Chaplin and Marx Brothers movies.

PS if you hate subtitles you can still enjoy this without them I think. There is not very much dialogue.

BTW i'd be interested in knowing if his films are still popular in France.
Tati received a lot of fame in his own time and is still a big name today for people with any interest in cinema. but French TV has slowly moved away from diffusing old stuff as it's been interpreted by the audience as something done by crappy channels having no money. instead most go for new everything! doesn't matter if it's crap, people will watch because it's new and we're a curious bunch. so old movies have less screen time nowadays and when they do, it's going to be late on some improbable channel that most people don't ever check, or once a year for the anniversary of a dude's death.
I don't think it's specific to France, things are moving so fast in front of us that we don't spend much time looking back. our modern way of looking back is to produce remakes. old, but also new so the kids will watch!!! :disappointed_relieved:

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #22,165 of 24,617
Mortal Engines - 3/10

Yes, it's really that bad.
I actually thought it might be one of those sci-movies that everyone hates but I might like.
Definitely not here and probably just as bad as "Ready Player One".

PS I must be the only one in the USA that is disappointed to not get to see part two of "The Allegiant" in the Divergent series.
The first part did so poorly at the box office that they didn't make Part 2.
Somehow I am a fan of that series. Weird right? I even went out and bought all the blu-ray movies!

Another sci-fi movie I loved that did poorly at the box off is "Oblivion". It has a really good soundtrack by M83 too.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #22,167 of 24,617
Playtime - 7/10

Third movie in the Mr. Hulot series directed by Jacques Tati.
Unfortunately this one isn't as fun to watch as the first two.
Nowhere near as funny either.

Some scenes seem to go on forever and aren't all that interesting to watch and kind of boring (the apartment scene).
The only scene that kept me watching was the one in the nightclub.

I was surprised that some consider this to be the director's best film.

I'm going to still watch all his films but i've noticed that many of them are getting hard to find.

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #22,168 of 24,617
Playtime - 7/10

Third movie in the Mr. Hulot series directed by Jacques Tati.
Unfortunately this one isn't as fun to watch as the first two.
Nowhere near as funny either.

Some scenes seem to go on forever and aren't all that interesting to watch and kind of boring (the apartment scene).
The only scene that kept me watching was the one in the nightclub.

I was surprised that some consider this to be the director's best film.

I'm going to still watch all his films but i've noticed that many of them are getting hard to find.

Criterion has "The Complete Jacques Tati" on Blu-Ray and DVD:

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1069-the-complete-jacques-tati

I have this, and coincidentally enough, the only movie I've watched from the collection is Playtime, which I'd give 10/10. I loved nearly every minute of it (but I'm also a fan of everything by Akira Kurasawa, Ingmar Bergman, Terrence Malick, etc.) I did go into Playtime knowing a bit about it's production history, i.e. that it was a financial disaster because Tati built a massive set (pretty much everything you see in the movie was built from scratch for the movie), it had a very innovative (for the time) stereo soundtrack, and he went all out and filmed it in 70mm, and then insisted that theaters only show it in 70mm and stereo (which very few theaters had at the time).

Mar 16, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #22,170 of 24,617
Trafic (1971) - 10/10

Fourth and final movie with Mr. Hulot directed by Jacques Tati.
While watching this I thought it was every bit as good as "Mon Oncle", if not better!
Very strange to see two movies in one week that were some of the best films i've seen in years.
I definitely need to go buy this movie ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back