Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 19, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #16,803 of 24,630
Fantastic Mr Fox: 9.5/10

After seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel, I was very interested in Wes Anderson's work, mainly due to it's quirkiness. Fantastic Mr Fox is very similar, in fact almost the same. as The Grand Budapest Hotel. It is very funny, quirky, stylish and quintessentially British (which is very surprising considering Wes Anderson is from Texas). Definitely should check it out.

I'm planning to see Kingsman tomorrow. Also, Happy Chinese New Year!!!

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #16,805 of 24,630
Born in the USSR: Up series

When reading about Boyhood I came across mentions about British TV  "UP series". They took a group of children and through every 7 years followed their lives. But there was also a British-Soviet offshoot called "Born in the USSR".

1. Age 7 in the USSR (1991)
  2. 14 Up Born in the USSR (1998) (this won an International Emmy)
  3. Born in the USSR: 21 Up (2005)
  4. Born in the USSR: 28 Up (2012)

I've watched 3 films. The series are a very good examination of life of a former Soviet Union during these years. They took children from different regions of the country: Litva, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Siberia, Moscow, Saint-Petersburg.

Here is for example the second part 14 Up with English subtitles on Youtube. There are also 21 Up and 28 Up with English subtitles available. 7 Up video on Youtube is only partially interpreted.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #16,806 of 24,630
Lucy, a sci-fi thriller with a lot of entertainment value but little shot at an Oscar. Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman. Recommended if you like sci-fi or thrillers and have a rich imagination. Bring it with you when you see the movie--you'll need it. Enjoy!

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #16,807 of 24,630
Aguirre, The Wrath of God (1972): 10/10

One of the very, very best films ever made--a haunting and funny historical adventure/drama that positively drips with fear and madness. Needs to be more widely seen.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #16,808 of 24,630
The Admiral: Roaring Currents.

Really enjoyed this one.  A must see for military history buffs.

FWIW I almost always prefer to watch movies with headphones... KSC75 were my cans of choice for this one.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #16,809 of 24,630
  Fantastic Mr Fox: 9.5/10

After seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel, I was very interested in Wes Anderson's work, mainly due to it's quirkiness. Fantastic Mr Fox is very similar, in fact almost the same. as The Grand Budapest Hotel. It is very funny, quirky, stylish and quintessentially British (which is very surprising considering Wes Anderson is from Texas). Definitely should check it out.

I'm planning to see Kingsman tomorrow. Also, Happy Chinese New Year!!!

Thanks for the recommendation. I like this film too, but The Grand Budapest Hotel is still my most fav by a nice margin. It seems Anderson really improves his craft as time moves on

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #16,810 of 24,630
I watched Requiem for a Dream for the first time last night. Wow. I don't really know how realistic the movie was but it was very believable. It was insanely good and scary.  The movie created 4 good characters that you could barely relate to if you've led a normal life. No one was redeemed and there were no happy endings. A lot of movies are afraid to write a horrible ending and things always end on a lighter note. This movie didn't and thats what I liked about it. 10/10

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #16,811 of 24,630
  Lucy, a sci-fi thriller with a lot of entertainment value but little shot at an Oscar. Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman. Recommended if you like sci-fi or thrillers and have a rich imagination. Bring it with you when you see the movie--you'll need it. Enjoy!

If you want an even better movie with the same concept you should watch Limitless.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #16,813 of 24,630

If you want an even better movie with the same concept you should watch Limitless.

Great comparison...I had totally forgotten about that one. I enjoyed it more than Lucy, as well. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #16,815 of 24,630
Kingsman: The Secret Service: 9.2526/10

A very funny movie with a great satire/salute to British spy films. Kingsman is a great spy flick with great characters, great style, great action and sometimes, great emotion. Such a slick film. Except, the training part kinda drags and bored me, the CGI is very bad for today's standards and Samuel L Jackson dropped too little F bombs, which is disappointing (think about it, a hint of Pulp Fiction). Ultimately, I have fun and definitely should check it out.

What did I learn:

This is a corner where I talk about what did I learned from the movie I just review, for a hint of comedy. ​SPOILERS!!!!! 

1. An umbrella really is a dangerous weapon (that's why we can't use them in Hong Kong)

2. Domestic violence sucks ass

3. Tailor shops are secret intelligence centre, and the tailors are extremely dangerous spies

4. Telecom companies are diabolical evil ******** that uses their sim cards to turn us into very violent beings, even though their services are already ******* **** and infuriating.

5. Free stuffs are bad

6. Brits love their pubs

7. Churches are slaughter houses

8. Global warming is an evil force used by Samuel L Jackson to convince powerful people we need to get rid of everybody in the world

9. Politicians, famous people, and royalties are dickheads and would loved to watch the world die for better environment

10. DON'T EVER **** WITH WHITE GUYS IN SUITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back