Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 12, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #23,551 of 24,630
Dog (2022) - 8/10

I'm a sucker for these dog movies. Story of a retired wardog scheduled for termination by the Army after 7 years in service.

Mar 12, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #23,553 of 24,630
Death on the Nile: 8/10

Well worth a watch. Story was compelling, characters were interesting, visually it was stunning, and it held my attention for the duration of the film. Good enough for me.

Mar 12, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #23,554 of 24,630
Dopesick - 10/10

While watching this I felt like they should just hand out Emmys to every single person in the cast.
They were that good. There is no weak acting by anyone. Not one that I saw.
This is probably the most talented cast of actors i've seen in a TV series since "Better Call Saul".
The best actors in it IMO were Michael Keaton (Samuel), Kaitlyn Dever (Betsy) and Peter Sarsgaard (Rick).
It made my day that Kaitlyn was nominated. Yes, I actually checked to see if this was nominated for anything afterwards!

One nice thing about this series is there is no variation really in quality between each episode. They all are equally as good.
By the end it feels like one long movie directed by the same person.

I wonder who played the biggest role in how good this series became. I think it may have helped that it was based on a book and had a good script.
I imagine it had a pretty large budget too. Maybe the producers of this will make something just as good years from now. Hope so.

I actually want to watch this again in the next few weeks. Maybe after I read the book.

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #23,555 of 24,630
Spider-Man: No Way Home - (6.5/10)

I thought this movie would be good given the ratings out there. Not as bad as Shangchi, but not up to par with Avengers or Captain America movies (being up to par of these movies isn't saying much either, I prefer to the Disney+ content over the movies).

I just find the new Spider-Man movies to have boring plot, cheezy dialogs and screenplays. And just generally chiche scenes. They are nothing special. It doesn't seem to do do anything really bad, but not that special either. It's just bland.

I don't really care for the characters either.

I just found the plot ridiculous like what happens in 60's batman series.

I just find Spider-Man so uninteresting. No character. Venom is a lot more interesting, but we all know how those movies turned out.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #23,556 of 24,630
the adam project 2022 net flix. well i like witty sarcasm as much as anyone, but sheesh. Not bad visuals, but id pass unless your a ryan Reynolds fan

Mar 14, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #23,557 of 24,630
Spider-Man no way home 8.7/10 finally felt like a real epic story and one that was also mainly Spider-Mans..... Love the fact they retcon other Spider-man films seemingly giving 0 craps about explaining what fans would call inconsistencies. Love the piece moving on the entire movie being to rehide Spider-mans identity and basically the last 10 minutes of the last movie and it being a raw deal instead of a happy ending as it should have been, another small piece moving in maturity of Spider-man + setting other small events in motion that cascade.... This is the basis of the multiverse -> small changes.. I can honestly see a Marvel universe where there are 2 MC of the same superhero (not talking about Tobey or Andrew, or for only one movie, I mean set up for the future), and I don't mean like "passing the torch" or Iron Man/War Machine I mean the levels of wackiness we have yet to reach, it's a comic after all... IMO it's been a good ride but things need to start getting crazy and it looks like it's going in that direction.

My biggest recommendations top 2 movies I have seen, probably ever but at least can remember now
Snowpiercer(movie not tv show)
Momento

A few TV series I like (Korean)
My Name
Beyond Evil
Bad Guys: Vile City

Mar 16, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #23,558 of 24,630
Matrix Resurrections - 4/10

What the heck did I just watch?

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings - 9/10

Somehow this was better than I remember.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Extended edition) - 8/10

Kind of a bit too slow. Maybe I should have stuck with the theatrical version.

Mar 16, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #23,559 of 24,630
Matrix Resurrections - 4/10

What the heck did I just watch?

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings - 9/10

Somehow this was better than I remember.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Extended edition) - 8/10

Kind of a bit too slow. Maybe I should have stuck with the theatrical version.
I agree the first LoTR is likely the best.... I have equated the reason to super hero movies and the rise of the modern version, we don't like super heros because they are powerful, we like they because they are human... I think similarly the contrast to the vulnerability of the hobbits, especially at the beginning when they are most vulnerable really touches people personally!

Also Matrix Resurrections was far too full of itself for my taste, I missed getting lost in a story instead of constantly being reminded I am in one, with annoying tendrils reaching out to the often boring real life situations surrounding most of the frankly useless decisions made in the story.... I didn't rate it quite as bad but I can easily see how someone could be wildly annoyed with it. I could see them pulling the series thru to something good but they need to forget everything they know (kind of like the matrix) we have already seen Star Wars fall to a production that refuses to do this, despite making one of the most exciting, at the time, characters in the entire series (Snoke) to idiotically use him as less than canon fodder.... Also Star Wars was confined to using a lot of it's CGI as an accessory in the background while keep us grounded in the realistic human-ish world, while the Matrix forgot this was what made the original series great, they both need to take the opposing side on this IMO.... Kind of tired of Star Wars constantly pushing human Jedi only, it's as if they are literally the only species to ever do something good, or perhaps they think an audience couldn't identify with an alien main character, which is nonsense....

Come to think of it not many serious big budget films or TV have non-human main characters, we need more of this IMO, unexplored frontier. Also we need some damn Alien stormtroopers already!

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #23,560 of 24,630
A previous poster mentioned that the picture quality was dark and dim at the movie theater. This has been an annoying issue for a while in many theaters. Quality control check in a lot of movie theaters has been reported to be poor.

This is unfortunate. You may have to pay the premium price for the upgraded room. My local AMC theater is better than the Regal theater in terms of picture brightness accuracy. Of course your mileage may vary.

My other complaint is the volume can be too loud. When I saw Dune in the theater, it was torture. Not only the movie was bad but the ear splitting volume level added the extra punishment.

Mar 16, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #23,561 of 24,630
^I'm more of a Game of Thrones guy. LOTR don't hold up anymore. I can't look at LOTR the same again after GoT. Technically, better in every way (ignoring the last season. lol). It's like playing a bunch of 1st person shooters, and then playing Dark Souls/Sekiro/Bloodborne, and realize how crappy the modern first person genre is. It's the kinda content that makes you aware others not up to par.

the adam project 2022 net flix. well i like witty sarcasm as much as anyone, but sheesh. Not bad visuals, but id pass unless your a ryan Reynolds fan

I give this avg score of 7/10. It nuttin but an avg film. Story is cliche, and decent action keeps it from getting the crap score. And the kid that played the child kinda saved the film for me. Reynolds is always Reynolds. Which is what I don't like about Reynolds.

Turning Red - (7.5/10)

I luv the animation. Great fluidity and fidelity of the animation. Also like the character designs (especially the panda), but the story sucked! Whoever wrote the story should never write another Pixar story ever again! Whoever thought that story is passable should not make decisions. Why does Disney always have to do the damn Chinese fantasy bs? It's so cliche. Do something original. I wonder if it was to take the humongous Chinese market?

It's probably trying to differentiate from Teen Wolf (one of my fav classics, the original MJF one from 1985), but trying go for the same, but failed (Because you can't do another teen wolf like the original).

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #23,562 of 24,630
Turning Red - (7.5/10)

I luv the animation. Great fluidity and fidelity of the animation. Also like the character designs, but the story sucked! Whoever wrote the story should never write another Pixar story ever again! Whoever thought that story is passable should not make decisions. Why does Disney always have to do the damn Chinese fantasy bs? It's so cliche. Do something original. I wonder if it was to take the humongous Chinese market?

It's probably trying to differentiate from Teen Wolf (one of my fav classics, the original MJF one), but trying go for the same, but failed (Because you can't do another teen wolf like the original).
Director Domee Shi is Chinese-Canadian and grew up in Toronto. In 2018 she directed the Oscar-winning Pixar short Bao. Both Bao and Turning Red strike me as a very authentic efforts:

https://www.wired.com/story/turning-red-is-pixars-most-personal-movie-yet/

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #23,563 of 24,630
Director Domee Shi is Chinese-Canadian and grew up in Toronto. In 2018 she directed the Oscar-winning Pixar short Bao. Both Bao and Turning Red strike me as a very authentic efforts:

https://www.wired.com/story/turning-red-is-pixars-most-personal-movie-yet/
Well, if you find that a Chinese fantasy panda story (like teen wolf) about a story about about a group of girls that's into some boy band is authentic. Sure. Whether it's a good or bad film is a different matter. Incredibles was much better done Pixar films, but there's no wired article about being a personal movie. lol. So, it's not authentic? Oh, well. Don't care.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #23,564 of 24,630
Reacher (Season 1) - 8/10

I enjoyed this, but it basically felt I was kind of watching a high budget version of "Walker Texas Ranger" or something. It's a pretty generic TV show, but it's very entertaining.
I actually would have rated this slightly lower if it wasn't for the last 3 really good episodes. I hope they continue this series though and it gets even better.

A much better series is "Jack Ryan". That was probably cancelled, but they should bring it back!
I think the actor from it was too busy making movies and couldn't continue the series maybe.

Gremlins 2 - 7/10

Had some really amusing parts early on. Some of the super advanced technology they used in the mall was pretty funny. Reminded of of parts of Fallout 3. You know how certain new technology is supposed to make things easier, but actually makes things worse and even more complicated. It was also weird seeing these ancient Macintosh Classic computers on everyone's desks! Such small screens on those. 9" screen with an "optional" 40mb hard drive!

Mar 18, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #23,565 of 24,630
Joker

To be honest, I’m not really a fan of Batman and I find the Joker character to be boring too.

However, this Joker movie is good and I like it. It kind of reminds me of the dark side of New York City like in the Martin Scorsese movies like Taxi Driver and other elements that you may see in gritty dark independent films.

Coincidentally, the famous outdoor steps in movie was filmed in the Bronx. I was actually surprised since I recognized those steps. This movie does emulate that dark gritty side of the Bronx.

Good movie.

BE1808BE-ED57-4E44-96D7-8243593D3C5A.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back