1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

1. tdockweiler
    Places in the Heart -10/10

This movie reminds me of those days back when I was younger and even more addicted to watching movies.
    I'd search through my huge movie review books to seek out all those old hidden gems. I was probably 16 or 17.
    I kept hearing about this Akira Kurosawa guy and ended up watching his films and anything with a high score.
    Some of the old "Great Movies" by Roger Ebert helped too. I always tried to watch some of the films he gave a 3 1/2 out of 4 too.

Anyway, this is one of those old 80's films that really seems to fly under the radar. I always try to find movies this good, but it's rare.
    Like some of those recent french movies I watched (Jacques Tati films), this is one of the better American films i've seen in the last 5 years.

It's about a woman during the depression who loses her husband and has to try to still raise her kids and keep her farm going.
    If they don't come up with enough money to pay for the farm they will lose it.

Perfect cast too. Sally Field, John Malkovich, Danny Glover and Ed Harris.
    This one was nominated for Best Picture and I believe Sally Field got a best actress award. If so, she deserved it.
    Danny Glover was good in this too.

Despite happening during the depression, a lot of this movie reminded me of my time growing up in a small city.
    Back then we didn't need video games, cell phones and television to keep us entertained. It's weird saying this since I was only born in 1980!
    I grew up with 20 acres of woods and a pond to fish and swim in. It seems we always spent most of our free time outside when we were kids.

I was reading up on this movie online and a lot of this was based on the memories of Robert Benton's life growing up (he's the director).

2. tdockweiler
    The Emigrants (1971, Jan Troell) - 10/10

A must see. Hard to believe that I went so long without watching this.
    I'm sure not many Americans have heard of this or have seen it.
    It was nominated for best foreign language film at the Oscars.
    I read that later it was also nominated for Best Picture, Actress, Director AND Screenplay.

I actually watched this mainly because I loved the director's other film "Everlasting Moments".

Anyway, this one is over 3 hours and about a poor Swedish family in the 1850's that emigrate to the USA.
    This is actually based on two books in a series. There is even a sequel based on the next two books!

I plan on buying the books. I also found that Criterion released the two movies on blu-ray in a set.
    The Amazon rental seems to have really poor quality along with bad subtitles.

PS I've had a lot of luck with find good movies lately!
    Yet another film here that's one of the best i've seen in years.

3. Hutnicks
    OK dont post much here anymore but this one needs to be said.

Rommel 2012. unrateable low out of ten.

That German TV would even entertain this absolute nonsense of a script it deplorable. To depict one of the most highly rated by the Allies, no less, Generals as a wishy washy nincompoop is simply the most disgusting effort I have ever seen. Comitted to film, makes me wonder what the devil is going on in German TV today. I could not possibly put into words how factually wrong this waste of celluloid is. Were there any surviving members of the family around the lawsuit over this piece of miserable dreck would make the VW dieselgate litigation pale by comparison.

4. tdockweiler
    I loved that movie! Of course I don't know how historically accurate it is really. Maybe that's why it didn't bother me so much.
    Another TV movie I liked was "Ike: Countdown to D-Day". It's pretty well made and starring Tom Selleck.
    The TV version of "Anne Frank" is the best version of her story too. It's the one starring Ben Kingsley as her father.

Have you see "Isoruku"? It's a Japanese film about Admiral Yamamoto.
    A lot of people also disliked that because they felt it wasn't accurate.
    I would have given it a 9/10 I think. There is actually almost no battle scenes in the movie.

Reminds me of the film "Yamato" about the battleship Yamato...now that movie was awful!
    Almost as bad as 'Pearl Harbor".

One WWII film i'm trying to find is "Diplomatie" (aka Diplomacy). It's a french movie that didn't get a US release.
    I only because interested in it after watching "Is Paris Burning?".

5. tdockweiler
    The New Land - 10/10

This is the sequel of "The Emigrants" and picks up where the last movie ends.
    It's based on a 4 book series from Sweden that I must read.

Seriously, don't mean to hype this up too much, but these two movies are two of the best movies i've seen in my entire life! Really.
    They're probably up there with my experience of watching the 9 1/2 hour movie "The Human Condition" from Japan,
    That movie left such an impression on me that I couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks.

What's surprising is how a director can make two movies that are a total of 6 1/2 hours be so entertaining and never too slow or boring.

These two movies really should be more well known in the USA.

They are in a foreign language, but most of it is filmed in the USA.

Also, I'm surprised how much gruesome stuff they could cram into a PG movie.
    There was one scene that was pretty shocking and disturbing. So much so that I couldn't even describe it here!
    There is also some nudity (which strangely is a huge no-no for Americans these days who are offended by nudity!).

There has to be a ton of film makers out there who were influenced by this series.
    So many other more recent movies seemed to borrow many parts of it.

The versions I saw were the Amazon rentals. I don't think they are the Criterion versions because the quality was not that great.
    The subtitles were also pretty bad.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  6. serman005
    The Dark Knight -- 9/10

7. tdockweiler
    Moby Dick (1956) - 5.5/10

Couldn't really get into this and found it kind of boring.
    I haven't read the book, but maybe I will soon.

The Walking Dead (Season 9) - 9/10

This series is now back to it's old self, sort of.
    Season 7 and 8 are actually terrible compared to the rest of them.
    Still worth watching though and better than the first 3 seasons of "Fear the Walking Dead".

I don't know what the heck they were doing with Season 8.
    It's like they were trying to turn it into an action movie or something.

Season 9 is pretty slow paced, but I liked most episodes.
    Only one I didn't like that much was "Evolution" (#8).
    I also kind of wish they would get rid of Negan already.

Hard to believe but I think i've seen every season now about 6 times.
    I don't want to know how many hours that is.
    Actually, not really. I usually stop at the very last episode of Season 6.
    The first episode of Season 7 is unwatchable to me and made me boycott the show for over a year.

BTW in case I haven't said it already, season 2 is the best by far.
    It's the one season where I am glued to the TV set and have to watch multiple episodes in a row.

8. serman005
    The Blacklist Season 5 -- 9/10

Erudite and sophisticated, this show continues to shine, season after season. Spader remains absolutely mesmerizing, What an actor, Highly recommended to start at Season 1 and dig in with some tea or coffee or a beer or a scotch. It's super-good fun.

9. kid vic
    Mudbound- 10/10

10. tdockweiler
    The Highwaymen - 6/10

Starring Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson.
    This one is about the two former Texas Rangers who track down and kill Bonnie and Clyde.
    This seems to be a very well made made and is really nice looking, but it's very very dull/boring.
    It's almost like there is really not enough story here and a bit filler-filled.
    At one point I was thinking that it was just going nowhere. I barely finished the last half hour.
    The acting is pretty good, but I think i'll probably forget about this one pretty fast.

Triple Frontier - 9/10

I cancelled my Amazon Prime account and switched back to Netflix and came across this new movie.
    I picked this one at random and am glad I did.
    Reminds me of parts of a Peter Berg war movie, "The Goonies" and even parts of Indiana Jones!
    Hope there is a sequel to this.

Great Expectations - 7/10 (David Lean version)

I sort of lost interest when Pip moved to London.
    I could tell that something was probably lost from the book when watching this movie.
    Made me want to go out and read the book ASAP though.

11. Hutnicks
    I actually really liked The Highwaymen. Understated for sure but a very very interesting time of the Texas Rangers who were re instated shortly thereafter largely due to the events in that film Not full blown shoot em up fodder but a film that really delves into the moral aspects of law enforcement of the day.

Triple Frontier started out with a good concept but never found its feet. Is it trying to be Kelly's Heroes or is it trying to be 3 Kings? It never answers that question and becomes just a dead end. Viewers would be better served by watching the fore mentioned two films. BTW, They got the service wrong altogether, ST4 are the team that carries out the actions portrayed in the film in Latin America.

12. tdockweiler
    The Kingdom - 7/10

Reminded me a little of one of those old racist John Wayne WWII movies like "The Fighting Seabees".
    The last action scene is probably the best part of the movie.
    Feels like i've seen this kind of ending for a movie over and over though.

PS this is directed by Peter Berg. I think "Patriot's Day" is actually his best movie.
    I usually like his movies and probably why I bothered to watch this one.

13. kid vic
    She's gotta have it- 8/10
    Good fun in black & white, not my fave spike lee joint though.

Solo con tu pareja- 6.5/10
    Weird, comical, something better than half bad.

14. wuwhere Contributor
    Glass - 4.99

15. tdockweiler
    Escape at Dannemora - 6/10

Watched this series over 2-3 days and felt like I've wasted part of my weekend.
    As you may know, this is a true story about a prison escape back in 2015.

The entire series moves at a snail's pace and is just not very interesting to watch at all.
    Even the final escape scene is really boring and takes forever.

Only good thing about this really is some of the acting. Mostly from Paul Dano.
    Cinematography is pretty OK too.

The choice of music they had in the movie is just awful.

It seems they tried really hard to avoid all the typical prison movie cliches (well, most all of them).

Watch "A Man Escaped" or "Alcatraz" instead.

This is actually more boring than a documentary on the subject would be.

The last episode is easily the best. That's the one where they were both alone in the woods heading towards Canada.

The previous episode ruined it for me. It was all told in flashbacks and showed you why they both went to prison.

PS I liked the character who played Tilly's husband. I kind of felt sorry for him at times.