Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #22,096 of 24,597

Alita : Battle Angel (9/10 in Sci-Fi Anime Horror/Thriller)

From the Q&A after the movie with producers and actors of main characters : “If you were to describe Alita in one word, what would it be?” My word is “life-like”. :floatsmile:

When I first saw the commercial, I thought “Wow, it has been a while since I heard about this series.” Apparently, it has been since 1990, when the Manga comic came to the U.S. So when an old friend asked if I wanted to go see it, I jumped at the chance. We talked about a lot of stuff on the way, from Movies to Anime in general, and saw a waiting line for it, so we took our place and caught up on how things were going. Going into the theater with passes, I had to wipe down my 3D glasses and realize that this was a private screening, so I took the picture above for you folks to see, as per screen instructions. :dark_sunglasses:

Throughout the movie, there was the comic book feel with an “Avatar” CGI adaptation to everything and could see a whole lot of everything going on. I want “Eh damnit, James Cameron wants to build upon the next Lucas Films.” It held true, but mainly because there really wasn’t even an animated adaptation of Alita...for at least from what I can remember. It did borrow from Akira, which created Alita as a cybernetic heroine response, but also from Fist of the North Star, as gory anime themes were shared with the original gory comic. No, there were no female villains that had their knockers explode, but the action scenes were still gory, but blood was not flying everywhere.

Surprisingly, there was a lot of story line that took over the gory scenes...but it still left a lot to desire for everyone. Still, all of the anime intricacies and great, but not Avatar-outstanding, CGI and effort from the supporting cast carried the movie to a solid 9/10, leaving nothing more and nothing less to sub-score. So, “do you want to s**k my c**k, Berseirkerrrrrre?!?!?!?” Well, you will just have to wait and see.:blush:

I didn't realize it was out yet, I'll have to see it hopefully this weekend.

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #22,098 of 24,597
Fences.jpg

"Fences" [10/10]: Took me awhile to get a chance to watch this one. Amazing story, amazing performances. As close to perfect as it gets IMHO

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #22,099 of 24,597
It will be in theaters in two weeks.

I think James Cameron did not want Alita : Battle Angel to not be as in-your-face brilliant as Avatar was for many and be nicknamed “Olaf” as a result:

Well, I guess its back to the manga dungeon for me then

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #22,102 of 24,597
The Disaster Artist - 9/10

I've never seen the movie this was about, but I really liked this.
Found it pretty entertaining and it seemed to fly by. Pretty funny at times too.

Hunter Killer - ??/10

One of the few movies that was so bad I turned off halfway through.
Not really fair to rate this, but from what I saw it was probably a 4/10.
Is Gerard Butler in any good movies anymore?

PS it's pretty funny that we still have movies with CGI as bad as something from "Air Force One" from the 90s.

Dumber and Dumber - 10/10

The blu-ray version is horrible and you should skip it.
It adds in a lot of scenes that make the movie way worse.
I actually skip EVERY added scene while watching the movie because they're that bad.

A week ago I went out and bought the DVD version of it.
If you're lucky you can still find it in the $3.74 bin at most Wal-Marts.
It comes with the prequel (which is awful).

BTW I hate to admit that i've been watching this movie at least a half a dozen times per year since I was maybe 15 (now 38!)

Suits - (Seasons 4-6) 10/10

What can I say? I love this show despite all the fake drama and overacting.
Easily one of the most entertaining shows i've seen in awhile, but there are a few of the actors I don't like much.
I'm not a big fan of Rachel's character for some reason and I have no idea how Louis has kept his job so long.
There were really no episodes I didn't like.

BTW one thing I noticed about this show is that it doesn't usually vary in quality between who is directing the episode.
In "The Walking Dead" that happens ALL the time and I don't know why.
There is also not much variation in between the acting of "Suits" depending on the director IMO.
I find the acting very good from almost everyone.
This show does make me miss "Better Call Saul" though.

I do wish this show had more in depth court scenes though.
None of them last more than a few minutes.

Suits (Season 7) - 7.5/10

A few really average episodes that seemed to drag on. That's rare for this show.
None as bad though as the mock cat trial from Season 3.
One thing that lost it a few points is too much time spent on scenes with Harvey and his girlfriend.
I also didn't how so much of the story was told in flashbacks.

I'm on Season 8 now and it won't be the same show with some cast members leaving.

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:03 AM Post #22,104 of 24,597
Burning - 4/10

Complete waste of time. I thought maybe it would reward me somehow for all my patience, but it doesn't.
Too bad because this is made by one of my favorite film directors (Lee Chang-Dong).
It's also starring Steven Yuen who I really liked from "The Walking Dead".
Only thing good about this really is the scenery/cinematography.

It's super slow during the whole movie and not much dialogue at all, not a big deal for me really.
Kind of depressing too. Reminded me of the Japanese film "Land of Hope", which has a similar tone.
That one was about people living through the Fukushima disaster.

This tops "Roma" as probably one of the worst films i've seen released in 2018.

A Private War - 5/10

Barely got through this and I almost feel bad for rating it so low.
Interesting that it was directed by the person who made the documentary about the war in Syria called "City of Ghosts".
A better movie to watch than this is "Last men in Aleppo".

All the President's Men - 6.5/10

Feb 7, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #22,105 of 24,597

Susperia 2018
0 out of 1-10. Worst movie ever.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #22,106 of 24,597
Widows (2018) - ~ 8.5/10

Another victory for director Steve McQueen. (No, not that one, this one)

When I first learned that one of my favorite directors, Steve McQueen, was going to enter new territory and direct a heist film, part of me thought that he would do a good job with it because he is such a talented director, and part of me was worried that Widows would lack some of the depth of his other films due to the fact that it falls into the heist genre. I was worried it might be a mindless popcorn flick, which would've been fine but not what I've come to expect and desire from McQueen.

I was very pleased to find that Widows has every bit the depth of his other projects. It is a feminist movie led by a group of actresses all playing strong female characters. Now I know what you are probably thinking because it is probably precisely what I would ordinarily be thinking: "Oh great, another Ghostbusters or Ocean's 8. Why do I want to watch this?"

I believe that Widows is a perfect example of what a feminist movie should strive to be. Films like Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8 are exactly what their critics suggest, movies that originally had predominantly male casts that were just recycled and rewritten around female casts. These movies are not the bastions of feminist ideology that their champions purport them to be. No, they are actually subversive to feminist ideas. These movies are riding on the coattails of their male-lead predecessors. It is as if they are saying that a film with a female-lead cast cannot hope to be a success unless it is adapted from the work of men. How is that in any way in line with feminist thought? I mean, not that I'm an expert in feminist ideology. Just my two cents.

Widows was written specifically for a female cast and they all do a superb job and that is why it is a success. With all of that being said, yes Widows is a feminist film but if you do not have strong feelings about feminism one way or the other, you can still enjoy it. It is a thoroughly enthralling drama and I did not feel like I was being preached at. No liberal church service found here. :p

Bottom Line: If you are looking for a movie that is simply mindless popcorn entertainment, you would probably be better off skipping this one and instead watching Ocean's Eleven or heck, even Ocean's 8. If you like a little bit more depth to your viewing choices, however, Widows is another fine offering from director Steve McQueen. Out of all of the heist films I have seen (not that I've seen a whole lot), I can honestly say Widows was probably the best of the bunch.

Disclaimer: I never saw Ocean's 8 although I did see the Ghostbusters remake, not by desire.

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #22,108 of 24,597
Feb 8, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #22,109 of 24,597
Alita: Battle Angel (2019) one tenth of what the moose rated Suspiria (the remake) above out of 10

Lets just call this the third remake of Rollerball and be done with it really. As if McTieirnan remaking all of Jewisons films was not bad enough, now we have Rodriguez who came on the scene with the oh so brilliant El Mariachi and Road Racers following down the hollywhore creativity black hole paved by oh so many of late. He thinks he gets a free pass because the ultimate plagarist Cameron is backing him up on this one. Lets face it, Cameron got sued over the film that made his career (Terminator) and luckily enough had enough money socked away to pay of the Russian author who he stole Avatar from before it went to court. So you get Alita which is so far departed from the beloved manga and OVA as to be unrecognizable to fans of either. But it gets made because unlike del Toro, Cameron bought it outright lock stock and barrel and the original artists had no recourse as they did with del Toro in forcing him to rename Evangelion into Pacific Rimjob because he was so far off the mark it was unrecognizable.

Now off the politics and down to the nitty gritty. Why hire an actress the part is all CGI. Look at the hair movement it's all Mocap from scene 2 on and all she is is a voice. Couple that with not one single scene in this film that you have not seen before and you have a film which takes derivative to the point of "find and replace" for directors. Rollerball, Altered Carbon, every Marvel Film in the last five years. All scenes are represented here.Not a single molecule nay atom of original idea. This squab (it's really to smally fry to even aspire to be a Turkey) makes ScarJo's pee poor attempt at Ghost in the Shell look like high art.

I can only assume that it's delay in release was timed to co incide with our Canadian legalization of Marijuana.

Save your eyes and brain cells and if you are of a sci fi mind and want intellect of sorts, source out a French TV series called "Missions". Your grey matter will thank me for this.

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #22,110 of 24,597
Go ahead.............give it a whirl. Lol

I do not really want to review it until I see it again. What I will say though is that CGM's performance in the beginning was spellbinding. How a kid from Georgia nailed the Berlin accent amazed me no end (must have been channeling a very young Natassja Kinski). I think she is underrated due to A) being way to Cute, and B) selecting pee poor scripts. I thought "Brain on Fire" was an understated if TV valued production that should have been more viewed, much like the largely unknown HBO Doomsday Gun (Kevin Spacey before he was a pervert). Gems that surface briefly and get buried by AntBatWaspManinHungryMazeGamesRunning for Divergence trope films pushed to the limits of hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back