Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 18, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #20,851 of 24,599
This was much better then McLaren. I race your score to a 9.5/10

I have to agree with you, for once:)

This one actually appeals to a far wider audience and really is an unscripted take on F1 that would do David Mamet justice for writing. One of the very select films that I will in fact revisit in future. Astonishing in its exposition of the people involved. It would seem that the Beeb just let it run it course and did minimal clamping and censorship here

In the vernacular of the old Max Headroom series "It's wonderful, Isn't It?"

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #20,852 of 24,599
Logan Lucky - 4/10

Worst i've seen in awhile. The whole movie just feels like filler filled non-sense. So many scenes were just characters talking, but they keep just going on and on about pointless stuff you don't really care about.
During the first half it felt like none of it helped with the story line at all. Even after the movie I'm not even really sure why they went through with the robbery. OK, so he lost his job and needed to hire a lawyer?!
Oh and there is no action or suspense at all. This movie is not much fun to watch. Maybe a couple of funny parts.

The characters felt like they were something out of a Wes Anderson movie. I guess the director wanted to have a certain style to the movie like Oceans 11 or whatever, but the characters just felt fake and not realistic at all.

More proof that rotten tomatoes is a worthless site and rigged in some way. So many movies on there that get a 95% or so and are garbage.

BTW it's not like the acting is bad, but just not very well developed characters. I didn't like any of them or even cared what happened to them.

I was so disappointed with this. Went to see it over "Planet of the Apes" in Imax. Big mistake...ended up going back to see that later in the day.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #20,853 of 24,599
This one actually appeals to a far wider audience and really is an unscripted take on F1 that would do David Mamet justice for writing. One of the very select films that I will in fact revisit in future. Astonishing in its exposition of the people involved. It would seem that the Beeb just let it run it course and did minimal clamping and censorship here

First I've heard of it. Maybe it'll be on TV over here at some point if it's a BBC production.

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #20,854 of 24,599
3_m.jpg

Outrage - 5/10

It feels almost mean-spirited to give this film such a comparatively low rating, but there it is; rarely has a film so thoroughly failed to live up to the excitement promised by its title, splashed sensationally across the front of the theatrical poster. It may have been different for an audience in 1950, but the intervening years and changing attitudes mean this is now little more than a meandering melodrama. It's basically a film about the rape of a woman (although the word 'rape' is never actually mentioned) and the psychological impact this has on her, derived as much from the social stigma as inward trauma - another curious sign of the times. It lacks the light touch, both in terms of the direction and the script. Mala Powers is infuriatingly passive in the lead role and drifts from one situation to the next like a dandelion on the breeze. Her eventual saviour, who guides her back to the right track, is Bruce; a solid man of the cloth and consummate renaissance man who shepherds the stray sheep from his flock back to the fold like some kind of earth-bound celestial being. It's all very worthy but very little fun.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #20,855 of 24,599
I have to agree with you, for once:)

In the vernacular of the old Max Headroom series "It's wonderful, Isn't It?"
It´s just a much better story. Will there be any on house Tyrell I wanted to say?

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #20,856 of 24,599
That would be interesting but as far as I know there is nothing upcoming on Tyrell.

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #20,857 of 24,599
"The Glass Castle" [8.8/10]: An authentic movie about a loving, dysfunctional family. Aren't all of our family's dysfunctional, at least in some small way? Certainly not all seriously dysfunctional families have the immutable bonds of love that the Walls family had at its core. This was a very touching movie that will be a player at the Academy Awards this year. It was depressing and uplifting at the same time. The supporting performances were better than solid and this is definitely a top performance by Woody Harrelson. I have a tradition where if I really like a film I stay in my seat until the end of the end credits. At the very end of this film was the statement, "Dedicated to all families who, despite their scars, find a way to love." That is the best description of "The Glass Castle" possible.

Aug 21, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #20,858 of 24,599
May be a reason there is no term for functional family

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #20,859 of 24,599
ok I went all in on the 7th art. sharknado 5, and then to make sure we were really brain dead, Empire of the sharks.
Empire of the sharks (ok let's say 1/10, they did record something and there is almost a scenario). crap, pure and simple. the only redeeming feature is that it made me feel like Waterworld wasn't the worst someone could do with Mad Max on a boat("love, exciting and new...."). it gives hope to all the creative people who failed around the world. someone someday will do something so bad, your stuff will look fine in comparison.

Sharknado 5: 3/10 it was 110% what you'd expect and then another 1337% of unexpected in an expected way that cannot possibly make any sense. we've left going to 11 a long time ago. it's starting to become like the Scary Movie franchise of itself. they begun with a ridicule movie, and now each new version tries to become a parody of the previous one. there is this crazy fight in my mind as everything is hyper lame, but to a point where it appears to be staged on purpose. it's like the talent to fail, showing how to fail like a boss, exactly the way they wanted to. they have absolute control over being lame.
without spoiling too much, most female characters contain more artificial body parts than the cyborg, and yes there is a cyborg(in case you've missed the previous episodes, the wife gives away limbs to various sharks over each new movie). we have James Bond, Back to the future, Godzilla, Mission impossible, Moses, and so many more in a movie that's hyper everything and yet mostly boring and very bad. those shark movies have becomes a manifesto to bad taste. I can't wait for number 6 and hopefully sharknados in space. it will probably turn to be something like time travel to see how sharknados are the reason why dinosaurs went extinct, but I really hope I'll get to see space sharknados at some point. and who cares about vacuum and physics and telling a story. \o/

oh I also watched Brazil on TV. to me it's still a solid 9/10. also something clearly special and not for everybody, but to me at least, this time it's brilliant (then again, can a guy using a Monty Python inspired nickname, ever think bad of Gilliam's work? in the latest polls, at least 12 monkeys said no. ^_^ ).
I love the visual style obviously, but I also have a passion for dystopias, be it in books or movies, they're probably my favorite SF theme(after space sharknados of course).

Aug 21, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #20,861 of 24,599
ok I went all in on the 7th art. sharknado 5, and then to make sure we were really brain dead, Empire of the sharks.
Empire of the sharks (ok let's say 1/10, they did record something and there is almost a scenario). crap, pure and simple. the only redeeming feature is that it made me feel like Waterworld wasn't the worst someone could do with Mad Max on a boat("love, exciting and new...."). it gives hope to all the creative people who failed around the world. someone someday will do something so bad, your stuff will look fine in comparison.

Sharknado 5: 3/10 it was 110% what you'd expect and then another 1337% of unexpected in an expected way that cannot possibly make any sense. we've left going to 11 a long time ago. it's starting to become like the Scary Movie franchise of itself. they begun with a ridicule movie, and now each new version tries to become a parody of the previous one. there is this crazy fight in my mind as everything is hyper lame, but to a point where it appears to be staged on purpose. it's like the talent to fail, showing how to fail like a boss, exactly the way they wanted to. they have absolute control over being lame.
without spoiling too much, most female characters contain more artificial body parts than the cyborg, and yes there is a cyborg(in case you've missed the previous episodes, the wife gives away limbs to various sharks over each new movie). we have James Bond, Back to the future, Godzilla, Mission impossible, Moses, and so many more in a movie that's hyper everything and yet mostly boring and very bad. those shark movies have becomes a manifesto to bad taste. I can't wait for number 6 and hopefully sharknados in space. it will probably turn to be something like time travel to see how sharknados are the reason why dinosaurs went extinct, but I really hope I'll get to see space sharknados at some point. and who cares about vacuum and physics and telling a story. \o/

oh I also watched Brazil on TV. to me it's still a solid 9/10. also something clearly special and not for everybody, but to me at least, this time it's brilliant (then again, can a guy using a Monty Python inspired nickname, ever think bad of Gilliam's work? in the latest polls, at least 12 monkeys said no. ^_^ ).
I love the visual style obviously, but I also have a passion for dystopias, be it in books or movies, they're probably my favorite SF theme(after space sharknados of course).

I always wondered just who was watching all those lameazz shark movies:)

Dystopia fever appears to reign. You might want to have a look at "What happened to Monday" despite all it's flaws it does manage to get itself through to the end in an entertaining manner. And really what could be more horrifying than a future run by Glenn Close. That woman should never be shot in profile.

Now for the meat.

Law of the Land. (2017) Finnish 8.5/10

Once again the promo materials spoil out most of the exposition that should have been left for the film. Arctic Noir at it's best here. Essentially what you are getting is the nordic take on Unforgiven set on the Finland/Sweden border. Clever camera work puts you into the frame while the dialogue is typically minimal and to the point. If you want dysfunctional family film taken to the extreme this would be it. So dysfunctional in fact that the families never actually happened. That is more the point of this film than anything else. The final scene sums it all up with brutal efficiency and concludes years of despair with a simple single line.

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #20,862 of 24,599

If dystopian sci-fi is your thing, you could almost throw a rock at any sci-fi from the 70s and hit the brief :D Along those lines, a couple of recommendations from me (I'm sure Hutnicks has some prime picks being the resident sci-fi buff) would be Soylent Green and for something a little less well known, Phase IV.

Law of the Land. (2017) Finnish 8.5/10

Once again the promo materials spoil out most of the exposition that should have been left for the film. Arctic Noir at it's best here. Essentially what you are getting is the nordic take on Unforgiven set on the Finland/Sweden border. Clever camera work puts you into the frame while the dialogue is typically minimal and to the point. If you want dysfunctional family film taken to the extreme this would be it. So dysfunctional in fact that the families never actually happened. That is more the point of this film than anything else. The final scene sums it all up with brutal efficiency and concludes years of despair with a simple single line.

I'll have to look out for this one. For a dysfunctional family film taken to the extreme though, you want We Are What We Are or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but I get the impression you weren't being so literal... :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #20,863 of 24,599
The Hills Have Eyes would have to rate up there as well.

Yes this one is nothing like it. Watch the cinematography which juxtaposes the wild open barrens with almost claustrophobic scenes involving characters. Atmosphere this film certainly does not lack for.

Aug 22, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #20,864 of 24,599
Nowhere in Africa - 9.5/10

About a jewish family that is forced to flee germany before WWII. Probably the best movie i've seen this year.
I need to see if there is a blu-ray available somewhere and maybe I should read the book.

This one is in german and won the oscar for best foreign film.
Hard to believe I had this sitting on my shelf for maybe 3 years!

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #20,865 of 24,599
upload_2017-8-22_18-25-17.jpeg

Perhaps, 7-0 to 7.5
Clutzy ending.
Wut ...? The human race being in charge of the resistance against the aliens.

I liked the series Falling Skies considerably more........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back