Rarest Headphones Around?
May 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
So this is a random thought I had this morning, and figured other headphone geeks could jump into making the list up. I'm trying to think of the rarest production headphones ever (so all of you with your beautiful Headphile/Lawton one-offs, that doesn't count :p), especially in light of the current range of limited production models available (W3000, Ed10, and TH900).

The best I could come up with was the ATH-W11R, which I've heard were limited to 800 units. The Edition 7 was limited to 999 units, so that's the second best I've got.

Anyone else? (You can define "rare" however you want - low production volume is just what struck me).

May 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 14
Some of the early Stax part of the Lambda family are pretty rare. I've read that there only few hundred made for the first in the Stax family. Apparently the L3000 "leather or limited edition" are pretty rare and expensive.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

May 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 14
P.W.B. Dyna-X orthodynamics

May 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

You can't determine the prevailing attitude toward a particular headphone, much less whether said headphone is genuinely good or not, by reading a single thread. The green L3000 is sonically just like the brown L3000, the difference being purely cosmetic. The L3000 itself actually has quite a few admirers here on the forums, some of whom feel it's one of the best headphones one can get for genres like rock and metal.

Personally I went through a period of loving it, but these days I don't really care for it because it's not my type of coloration. It lends itself more toward certain genres over others, and whether you like it is going to depend on whether you like that coloration.

May 20, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 14
There are as far as we know, no remaining examples of the Plasmasonic Ion Drive headphone.

A production model. Of which 0 exist. It's kinda cheating, but it doesn't get much rarer than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back