rare baseball card found!
Sep 30, 2002 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
yesterday i bought a couple of used paperbacks for $4. as i was flipping through one of them i noticed someone had stuck a baseball card inside. it is a wade boggs rookie card (topps) from 1983 in perfect, mint condition. the surface, corners, everything is perfect. i checked ebay and one in this condition went for $238! anyway, i don't collect baseball cards, but i thought this was pretty cool.

Sep 30, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 14
matthew-spaltro,
sorry bro, i'm going to see what i can get for it either on ebay or at the local collector's shop. money is kind of tight right now and we can use every dollar.

Sep 30, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
Was it a wade boggs rookie card (topps) from 1983 in perfect, mint condition?

That was mine.

finders keepers, losers weepers...or something like that.

Sep 30, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
Was it a wade boggs rookie card (topps) from 1983 in perfect, mint condition?

That was mine.

what book was it in?

Sep 30, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

what book was it in?

It was a used paperback...like the one you purchased....ya... ya... that was it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 14
I cringe when I hear these stories. I had hundreds of baseball cards that I collected from about 1955-1965. They were nearly mint all stored in sealed Army ammunition boxes. My Mother sold them in a house sale when they moved from our farm. There were multiples of Maris, Mantle, Berra etc. Oh well.

Oct 1, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 14
john,
it seemed like whomever owned the boggs rookie card was using it as bookmark. i'm amazed it is so perfect. also, it is from 1983 so i doubt it's from your stash.

i feel your pain, though. even though it is not nearly the same scale as you b-ball card selection, i had someting similar happen to me. i had a collection of mad magazines in good condition from the very earliest issues (i think i had a mad #1 in there somewhere) when i was a kid, and of course mom sold the whole set at a garage sale for about $2.

Oct 1, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
john,
it seemed like whomever owned the boggs rookie card was using it as bookmark. i'm amazed it is so perfect. also, it is from 1983 so i doubt it's from your stash.

i feel your pain, though. even though it is not nearly the same scale as you b-ball card selection, i had someting similar happen to me. i had a collection of mad magazines in good condition from the very earliest issues (i think i had a mad #1 in there somewhere) when i was a kid, and of course mom sold the whole set at a garage sale for about $2.

This reminds me of the countless baseball cards my mom threw out on me when i was a child as well as comic books.

Excuse me while i go drop kick my mother
eek.gif

Oct 1, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 14
My four much younger siblings destroyed my meticulously cared for trading cards and comic books from the 50's and 60's. Things like Gordie Howe's rookie card and the very first X-Men comic. I managed to salvage a few tattered remains a few years ago.

When I was 12 or so, my grandmother gave me a post card, sent to her by a friend from port in England, from the Titanic before it set sail. I remember putting IT into a book for safe keeping, forgot about it for years, and now have no idea which book and whether I even still have the book....which is doubtful as I unloaded a lot of books during my many moves.

Oh well. At least I haven't sold a priceless gem or a multi-million dollar painting at a garage sale. Think how those people must feel.

Oct 1, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 14
another time while i was at college my mother and sisters found a trunk full of my electronics which they sold off. it included the first sony walkman and the first cassette-sized sony walkman (collecters will remember that one), and an early metal recording walkman, as well as headphones, etc. i was kinda bummed when i heard about that one (especially since they charged $3 for every item).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back