Raptor vs. SR-71 as used with iPod Mini-Server
Mar 22, 2006 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jazz1

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been enjoying my SR-71, 3G iPod, Turbo Dock and Senn 600's at work. Today I thought it might be interesting to try the iPod with the Raptor as sort of a mini music server. As you know it is easy to switch sources on the Raptor with two sets of RCAs and a toggle switch. I love the Raptor with CDs playing on an MF A5, and I certainly didn't expect the iPod to win the sound award against the A5.

Interestingly enough I thought the iPod sounded better with the SR-71, than the Raptor. Is the Raptor just too revealing of the source as compared to the SR-71? The iPod's music is ripped lossless. Note the SR-71 sounded great with the A5 while I was waiting for the "Eagle to Land", and the Raptor to ship.

All in all this is no big deal because 99.999% of the time I'll be using the Raptor with the A5.

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 12
Yeah, I tried the same thing once.....once.
600smile.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by P+D-MI
Jazz1, did you ever compare your A5 to the x-ray?

I've heard of the X-Ray, but I've never heard one. Are you thinking of the V3 or the round sided X-ray? I'm wondering if the X-Ray is more akin to the MF A3.5? I remember a Stereophile magazine columnist once suggested the A3.5 might have been the same as rounded X-ray.

Heck, if the A5 is the same as the X-Ray I sure spend a lot of money on a square, instead of round sided box
wink.gif

Anyone out there know the difference between the X-Ray, X-RayV3, A3.5, and A5. I did audition the A3.5 and was pretty impressed with it. The A5 just did more for me, as well as lightened my wallet more (just like this forum).

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nytryder7
Yeah, I tried the same thing once.....once.
600smile.gif

I've already unhooked the Zu Pivot Cable between the Raptor and the iPod/Turbo dock. I've given the Raptor my sincere apologies
tongue.gif

I still don't know why the SR-71 and the iPod sound pretty darn good as opposed to the Raptor-iPod mix.

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 12
I have compared the Raptor with the SR-71, using the E5 as the source, and there is quite a difference. The Raptor has much greater power reserve, with all the attending advantages, plus the benefits of tube warmth and interchangeability. You do get what you pay for.
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
I would like to know if the Raptor is much better than the SR-71 with the MF as source.

Well the SR-71 is no Raptor killer, but the SR-71 is amazingly good to my ears, and it is not a bad match with the MF A5. It is not mis-matched if used with the MF A5 IMHO. Using the SR-71 only for mobile/iPod use is a mistake if you've got an even better source at hand.

The Raptor really does do it for me, as did the HR-2, but I prefer the Raptor over the HR-2 and the SR-71. I currently own the Raptor and the SR-71, but I would have loved to keep the HR-2 if economics allowed.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 12
I realize the MF A5 and the X-Ray v3 are in different price classes but I just wondered if you knew what the sonic differences were. I was considering upgrading to an A5. Also, the A3.5 is supposed to be an x-ray in a bigger chassis.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by P+D-MI
I realize the MF A5 and the X-Ray v3 are in different price classes but I just wondered if you knew what the sonic differences were. I was considering upgrading to an A5. Also, the A3.5 is supposed to be an x-ray in a bigger chassis.

I certainly felt that the A5 vs. the A3.5 had better resolution, meatier bass, and a wider soundfield. Once I paired the A5 with the Raptor the soundfield difference was even more pronounced over the SR-71. I did not have the Raptor and the loaner A3.5 at the same time so I can't do a head to head comparison of the A3.5 and the A5 using the Raptor.

The A5 did not exactly blow the A3.5 out of the water, but the sound improvement were enough to justify the price difference when I only had the HR-2 and the SR-71 as my only headphone amps. Dare I say I got a slight discount on an MF product that brought the A5's price down a little?

It would be interesting to know how the Raptor sounds like with the current X-Ray CD player and the X-Ray Tube Buffer. Is this the A5 in one box?

Note I have a few quibbles with the A5. The button controls do not seem to work very quickly, and sometimes I have to stab at them more than once to get them to respond. Oddly, not so with the remote. Also when the unit is turned on it immediately attempts to "read" a disc even if there is no disc in the tray. This keeps any function from working until the unit is satisfied that there is "no disc". For the great sound I'll live with this. Wonder if there is going to be a sofware upgrade?

I should mention that I tend to buy big ticket items and keep them for a long time. So when I take the plunge I try to staff of upgradeitis a little longer than most. In the back of my mind I felt that new format wars were going to soon be breaking out, and that I would not be able to afford to enter that fray for a least three or four years. Also I have a large collection of music CDs. So the A5 fit the bill for me.

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz1

Interestingly enough I thought the iPod sounded better with the SR-71, than the Raptor. Is the Raptor just too revealing of the source as compared to the SR-71? The iPod's music is ripped lossless. Note the SR-71 sounded great with the A5 while I was waiting for the "Eagle to Land", and the Raptor to ship.

I think this is More cause your just used to listening to the Raptor on the a5..
the two amps sound different yes but either one would be great on either..

Listen to the sr-71 on the a5?

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I think this is More cause your just used to listening to the Raptor on the a5..
the two amps sound different yes but either one would be great on either..

Listen to the sr-71 on the a5?

I totally agree, both amps sound great when used with the MF A5. In fact I'm listening to the SR-71 and iPod at home (as I write this) rather than on the road. Mainly because I have to leave the house to go shopping soon, and figure it is not firing up the tubes on the Raptor for a brief amount of time.

Still, i wonder why the iPod sounds better with the SR-71 as opposed to the Raptor/A5 chain. Maybe I didn't give it a long enough listen? I'll give it another go this weekend.

The bottom line is the SR-71 and the Raptor are wonderful. Since I put them in service my TIVO thinks I'm dead
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back