Raptor Rapture
Mar 6, 2006 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jazz1

1000+ Head-Fier
I know I'm not talented enough to go one of the "big boy" type reviews. But I have been able to spend more time with the Raptor and I can confirm what others have already said about the incredible sound that this headphone amplifier produces. The talented and experienced reviewers have already given the thumbs up on the Raptor.

Somewhere deep in these forums I may have already lamented about how I miss the soundstage that my long sold ProAc Studio 150 speakers used to produce. That was pure magic for me. I suppose somebody wil probably respond that headphones will never attain the soundstage that good speakers will, and I won't argue that point.

Since that time I never thought it was possible for headphones to have any soundstage until I listened to the Raptor. It was not immediately apparent to me, because I wasn't really expecting it I guess. But, the other night while I was listening to The Band's Last Waltz CD collection I was struck how I could place the voices and instruments in different places on the stage. It was if I could hear, feel, see the drummer moving over the drums and cymbals, as well as place the guitarist and vocalists across the stage.

As good as the HR-1 and SR-71 are I never heard my personal Holy Grail, a soundstage, from headphones before. The soundstage wasn't there with my Cosmic Supreme or early Airheads of yore, or my Perreaux.

Many of you probably have a much wider experience with headphone amplfiers and headphones. I'll yield the floor to anyone that wants to tout their superior experience with brand X, Y, or X headphones amplifers/headphones. Hell, maybe I'll want to buy what your into
icon10.gif

It isn't that I'm the only one that has stumbled on the excellence of Ray Samuels' equipment. It is just that until you actually hear the Raptor you might be skeptical that good cans, good source, and great headphone amps. can bring on home a fabulous musical experience. I am totally convinced that you'd have to pay much more for a system that used full range speakers, amplfier, pre-amp, etc. to get the sound i'm getting out of the Raptor (and in this case Senn. 650/600 headphones).

My TIVO thinks I've committed suicide since I got the Raptor, and my spouse is ready to cut the Zu cable with an axe so we can have some quality time.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 6
My Raptor (#8056) arrived today, and I too will have headphone marks on my head when I head home.

Simply amazing sound. Much more alive than my Headroom Desktop (desktop AMP and DAC) which will move home. The Headroom unit I do like, but I do think that the very neutral 650s come into their own with the Raptor.

Build quality and appearance you are all aware of now. Ray's work continues to shine.

Thanks Ray for this special piece of equipment.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 6
I got my 650's and RnB G52 cable back today. I've been listening since coming in from a run and taking time out for a 2 hours episode of 24. I figure I have another hour at least before I turn the Raptor off for the night. This combination is simply amazing. I love my HE60/KGSS but there is something about the Raptor/650 that is truly something to hear. I've said this a bunch of times that myo's G52 fits right in with this combination. The Zu was good, don't get me wrong, but the G52 is on another level.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 6
Mar 7, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 6
As I said above, I just received back my 650/G52. I find myself wanting to get home and listen the 650/Raptor and not my HE60/KGSS or Stax SRM-1 mkII. The sound is so engaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back