RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
Apr 16, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #31 of 821
Just noticed this:

P1050448.JPG

<3

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #32 of 821
Woah, that's a very similar implementation to the MEST bone conduction driver. Interesting. I'm guessing its effect wouldn't show up on the FR measurement.

Also it looks like they are using the same 14.2mm planar driver as the Timeless and P1 Max.

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #33 of 821
I will have the TINHIFI P1 Max and RAPTGO HOOK-X in a few days......though they will be my first Planars, so no comparisons to previous models. Though it may be true about the Hook-X having a slightly different quality, I mean that’s what HBB and Android have said. That in-fact the S12 and 7Hz differ with the Hook-X offering a slightly different tone than the two. Of course the open-back properties further distance the HOOK-X from the pack. If you go by the graph, it also shows the dissimilarity between the S12/7Hz and HOOK-X.

I’d be particularly interested in the physical size and comfort/fit of the HOOK-X relative to the S12, and if you believe it needs tips different from what is provided. Looking forward…

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #34 of 821
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #35 of 821
Ordered mine on April, 14
Let's see when it will get here

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #37 of 821
Apr 16, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #38 of 821
Apr 17, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #39 of 821
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #40 of 821

Excellent review!

My entry into IEMs are the Moondrop Kato and the Letshuoer S12. I keep going back and forth with them, trying to decide which I prefer over the other. My expertise is image analysis (e.g., photography), and if I were to create an analogy, it would be that the DD drivers sound more saturated, which I believe others have referred to as melodic, whereas the planar is more detailed. However, sometimes the planars sound too detailed, as if (image analogy) the designer employed too much sharpness masking.

Still, after 3 months, I still go back and forth between these 2 very different drivers. Enjoyment comes from both, and both are excellent for instrument separation and vocals, and totally satisfied with the stages they set. That said, I find myself listening to rock and multi-track productions with the Kato set, while listening to acoustic, singer-songwriter, folk and light jazz with the S12 set.

I’m not in a good location to be able to try potential purchases of IEMs, and have to say reviews of the HOOK-X haven’t been too helpful. So far, I haven’t been able to find a reviewer that has been able to put a finger on the audio character of HOOK-X, or convince me it can replace what I already enjoy.

Edit… spelling

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #41 of 821
Thanks for the review :)
I have the Mojo 2 and the Qudelix-5K. Do you think they will pair well?

I haven't listened to either one of these. My review touches briefly only the original Mojo. I hear the Mojo 2 is more neutral than the Mojo 1 so it may pair quite well. I would prefer this specific IEM with less warm sources myself.

Excellent review!

My entry into IEMs are the Moondrop Kato and the Letshuoer S12. I keep going back and forth with them, trying to decide which I prefer over the other. My expertise is image analysis (e.g., photography), and if I were to create an analogy, it would be that the DD drivers sound more saturated, which I believe others have referred to as melodic, whereas the planar is more detailed. However, sometimes the planars sound too detailed, as if (image analogy) the designer employed too much sharpness masking.

Still, after 3 months, I still go back and forth between these 2 very different drivers. Enjoyment comes from both, and both are excellent for instrument separation and vocals, and totally satisfied with the stages they set. That said, I find myself listening to rock and multi-track productions with the Kato set, while listening to acoustic, singer-songwriter, folk and light jazz with the S12 set.

I’m not in a good location to be able to try potential purchases of IEMs, and have to say reviews of the HOOK-X haven’t been too helpful. So far, I haven’t been able to find a reviewer that has been able to put a finger on the audio character of HOOK-X, or convince me it can replace what I already enjoy.

Edit… spelling

I have not heard the Kato specifically yet, but I talk a little bit of the S12. Not hearing the Kato before, I do have a sense of what it would sound like since many of Moondrop's IEMs are very similar. I would say the Hook-X is a different type of sound than either of these two. It would be a change of pace.

I do agree that in some cases these iems that you mentioned -- it could be considered over-sharpening, allowing for that edge to appear more. I'd say the Hook-X is more of a Bokeh type shot, except it stays in focus more in the treble and bass than say the mid-range which is more out of focus.

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #42 of 821
RAPTGO HOOK-X arrived about two hours ago. Haven’t really opened up the whole box, but did get the IEMs out and tried them with a copper cable I have. No burn-in at all just some first impressions. Surprised the bass isn’t more? Though the bass has been known to change for me with different IEMs in the past. Or at least my perception of bass changed?

Maybe they will fill-out with more authority. Maybe this is the Planar sound? Never heard a Planar before?

First impressions can be tricky and not what the IEM is at all. Soundstage is big with good imaging. Positioning seems correct! Vocals are just right. There is a slight small (very small) bit of brightness, of course that’s one thing that could go away. Just a tiny, tiny area of too much gain, upper midrange? Though nothing that lowering the volume a notch can’t fix. Actually I was expecting a way way more laid back overall tone than this by reading impressions. But they are nice, not too sterile or anything, just big washes of imaging and tone. Though I have to say, at this point a lot of mids. There’s a midrange emphasis to the signature! Probably due to me listening to too much V signatures?

Fit is absolutely amazing! They are super low weight compared to some behemoths I have come across. There is a really nice nozzle that holds tips on well. Actually they are big, but not super heavy for the size. Really not heavy at all.

Also there is a nice lower midrange......kinda warm harmonic complexity. Kinda a fizzy fuzzy thing going on....in the lower midrange. Amazingly coherent/cohesive.

That’s it for now.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #43 of 821
Well, changed tips to my go to wide-bore tips. The soundstage even became bigger. More right to left. Still not a total ton of bass presentation, less than the TRN Bax, but I get how people like the signature. Nothing wrong at all with it. The bass is definitely there and a lot, the whole sound may become more thick, but truly I’m guessing not!

But right now it’s the king of airy-ness! In a weird way these actually remind me almost of AKG-k701s. Though with none of spike in the mids or treble. They are much more linear than the AKGs. But the bass has speed and resolution, like the k701. Also the soundstage is huge now, like the open-back k701s. Extremely spread out right to left mainly, nice and even. The soundstage is also well populated with elements like middle stuff as well as imaging that spans the whole way across, then small treble highlights that are imaged way outside. I’m hearing vocals too that seem to be super well positioned, and take up the whole soundstage? Weird? It’s not un-natural or anything, just super wide and fast. But as far as money spent relative to sound goes, they are stupid good. This of course is my first Planar.

This is not necessarily the best song for them. Still what’s interesting is how the sub-bass is portrayed, where it has agility. The perfect rendition would probably have more bass, still the technicalities are amazingly here, timbre is great. Except there is an interesting low resolution element, that still works due to musicality. Even if maybe the FR isn’t exactly what this song needs in my book. Still I’m purposely not including stuff the HOOK-X does really well. This song more or less is a profile of its limits? But for the money, I’d take this style of replay, along with what it does really well.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #44 of 821
I have not heard the Kato specifically yet, but I talk a little bit of the S12. Not hearing the Kato before, I do have a sense of what it would sound like since many of Moondrop's IEMs are very similar. I would say the Hook-X is a different type of sound than either of these two. It would be a change of pace.

I do agree that in some cases these iems that you mentioned -- it could be considered over-sharpening, allowing for that edge to appear more. I'd say the Hook-X is more of a Bokeh type shot, except it stays in focus more in the treble and bass than say the mid-range which is more out of focus.

I don’t know that it’s accurate to state all Moondrop IEMs sound similar. It’s true that they’re all tuned similarly, but I doubt they should be described as sounding similar because they do use different drivers and several are hybrids.

Regarding planars, I had an interest experience last night after choosing the S12 set to listen to Jethro Tull's “Benefit” album. Ian Anderson’s flute was nothing but WOW in the 1st track, but then Martin Barre’s guitar entered into the mix with his typical fuzz, … and it was terrible, and could only be described as noise with discernible tone.

That got me to thinking. Surely, if Martin knew his guitar would sound like that he surely would’ve thought twice. However, Martin listened to and judged his guitar “fuzz” with dynamic drivers. Now… isn’t that true of everyone, … except maybe those involved with producing music? We’ve all become used to music over the last century by listening to dynamic drivers, not planars, and I wonder if that’s why we have problems with “putting our finger” of the characteristics of airwaves produced by planars(?) … just a thought… #jussayin

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #45 of 821
@Redcarmoose , thanks a lot for your initial impressions! For what it's worth, on both of my 2 pairs of the 7Hz Timeless, the bass started to appear after approx. 50 hours of burn in. In the beginning they were sounding almost baseless. Looking forward to more of your impressions. Hope to receive mine soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back