RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
Apr 12, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #16 of 821
I watched today HBB’s Youtube review/comparison of the Hook-X, S12 and Timeless. My take-away, according to HBB, was how impressive, and close in audio quality, all 3 sets were. That left only the price comparison for which the S12 stood out as best value…

I’m still waiting for the IEM, planar or otherwise, that might replace my S12 set.
Im in the same boat. Happy with my s12. Actually sold Monarch mk2 cus i liked s12 better. Faster, punchier. Only mids was lacking imo. So now im full planar and curious about HookX but ill wait.

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #18 of 821
Does Hook-X has better technicality than Timeless and S12? in term of resolution, imaging and soundstage?
The Timeless has more resolution. But the RAPTGO HOOK-X has a bigger stage. But if you watch the video and listen carefully he is basically saying he likes the tone and the way the HOOK-X has a certain personality that it bestows upon instruments, that’s where the blue dominance in the graph of tonality comes in. At times it’s a slight color or personality that an IEM will hue an instrument......thus the IEM will gain a style of affinity by the reviewer. It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s 100% accurate, but cool none the less. It may be accurate? It’s not wrong timbre/tone or anything like that.

So do you see that the Timeless is pushing through to be the best of the competition in resolution?

Don’t remember about imaging, don’t see it listed as metric, but he could have mentioned it in the video, I didn’t take notes.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 821
Lol @ the S12 having more/better bass than Timeless, along with the Timeless having the worst tonality and stage. I owned the S12 and couldn't re-sell them fast enough. Timeless beats them easily in all of those categories. I can't take that graph seriously.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 821
Lol @ the S12 having more/better bass than Timeless, along with the worst tonality and stage. I owned the S12 and couldn't re-sell them fast enough. I can't take that graph seriously.
Well...............I haven’t heard anything on the graph, meaning I don’t own any of them. But keep in mind that all it demonstrates is a single person’s perception..........HBB’s view!

At the end of the day, that’s all it truly is. As is your single viewpoint out into the universe. Thus in a way the two viewpoints hold the exact same value to the public at large. The critical aspect is that his viewpoints are posted for people to learn or have opposition too. No one is right or wrong. Though he has had good luck at finding parallel to public wants and needs.

It’s always only a suggestion that your listening will align with his. But there are a multitude of variables. He has tried to minimize the variables, still there will always be some which come into question/play.

Gross Generalization:
I wouldn’t be surprised if all three are close to sounding the same. But again I haven’t heard anything.

I should have the HOOK-X soon.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #21 of 821
Well...............I haven’t heard anything on the graph, meaning I don’t own any of them. But keep in mind that all it demonstrates is a single person’s perception..........HBB’s view!

At the end of the day, that’s all it truly is. As is your single viewpoint out into the universe. Thus in a way the two viewpoints hold the exact same value to the public at large. The critical aspect is that his viewpoints are posted for people to learn or have opposition too. No one is right or wrong. Though he has had good luck at finding parallel to public wants and needs.

It’s always only a suggestion that your listening will align with his. But there are a multitude of variables. He has tried to minimize the variables, still there will always be some which come into question/play.

Gross Generalization:
I wouldn’t be surprised if all three are close to sounding the same. But again I haven’t heard anything.

Until about 5 days then I will have the HOOK-X! Let’s hope I get hooked on it. Though no other planars for comparison.

… and HBB is quite honest about his reviews being relative to his own music library. Just like everyone’s ears, everyone’s library is different.

Regarding the S12 planars, I haven’t personally read or listened to a review yet that didn’t like them (…which isn’t to say they may like the HOOK-X better…)

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #22 of 821
graph (68).png

Since there's a bit of comparisons between these three. The S12 and Timeless are quite similar, but I think they do sound a little different. I think the S12 is bassier, while the Timeless is a tad leaner but very similar. The Hook-X is different sounding, with a much different presentation overall, as I stated before.

It's growing on me. It's pleasant to listen to for a long time and isn't super intense. It does some things pretty well. I think it's imaging is pretty good, and it has actually better resolution than I probably gave it credit to originally. The mid-range is so smooth and relaxed, and also does sound grainy in an analog warm way that it shares a different impression than the other two.

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #23 of 821
RAPTGO HOOK-X is officially sold-out. Lucky a new batch is on the way! Whew!
FQG6UosaUAA8euL-1.jpeg

Apr 16, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #24 of 821

Since there's a bit of comparisons between these three. The S12 and Timeless are quite similar, but I think they do sound a little different. I think the S12 is bassier, while the Timeless is a tad leaner but very similar. The Hook-X is different sounding, with a much different presentation overall, as I stated before.

It's growing on me. It's pleasant to listen to for a long time and isn't super intense. It does some things pretty well. I think it's imaging is pretty good, and it has actually better resolution than I probably gave it credit to originally. The mid-range is so smooth and relaxed, and also does sound grainy in an analog warm way that it shares a different impression than the other two.
I should have the RAPTGO HOOK-X in a day or two, but I wonder if the analog grain is from the Piezoelectric Driver? The only Piezo I heard was in the BQEYZ Spring 2, and the sound of the treble was what I liked most about it? Kinda different from EST or BA detail.............maybe, like its its own character?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #25 of 821
1650093655314.png

1650093686778.png

1650093711429.png

Apr 16, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #26 of 821
graph (68).png

Good to hear it isn't that bad :) I think for me it's gonna be a battle between the S12, Muse HiFi Power and Raptgo Hook. Now that it's grown on you, how would you compare the details of Hook to S12 and Timeless?

Also, do you have other new planars on the way? (Muse and P1 Max)

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #27 of 821
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #28 of 821
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/vedemin.559280/

He has access to the P1 Max, I think?
https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2022/04/tin-hifi-p1-max-big-panda-half.html?m=1
Yeah, I've read that one. Shame it's the only review right now. But based on it, the P1 Max would be a good budget option as its much cheaper than the Timeless but also... Oh wait. The S12 exists.

I was really hyped for their promises of Timeless level details while also having a big stage but it seems it was just the same marketing as with P1 OG. Oh well. The Muse is the only one that is stated to be an improvement over the Timeless as of right now with Raptgo being a sidegrade.

This is based only on a single review however so we have to wait more.

Apr 16, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #29 of 821
Yeah, I've read that one. Shame it's the only review right now. But based on it, the P1 Max would be a good budget option as its much cheaper than the Timeless but also... Oh wait. The S12 exists.

I was really hyped for their promises of Timeless level details while also having a big stage but it seems it was just the same marketing as with P1 OG. Oh well. The Muse is the only one that is stated to be an improvement over the Timeless as of right now with Raptgo being a sidegrade.

This is based only on a single review however so we have to wait more.
I will have the TINHIFI P1 Max and RAPTGO HOOK-X in a few days......though they will be my first Planars, so no comparisons to previous models. Though it may be true about the Hook-X having a slightly different quality, I mean that’s what HBB and Antdroid have said. That in-fact the S12 and 7Hz differ with the Hook-X offering a slightly different tone than the two. Of course the open-back properties further distance the HOOK-X from the pack. If you go by the graph, it also shows the dissimilarity between the S12/7Hz and HOOK-X.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #30 of 821
Actually this is @FcConstruct impressions of the new Tin planar. It's confusing but there's 3-5 people who contribute on my site now though they also contribute elsewhere like headphones.com and headfi as well.

Anyway, I don't think he received the hook-x unfortunately.

My other planar iem I have at home is the UM ME1 custom but it's broken and it requires a heavy dose of eq to sound normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back