Attachments

• screenshot-www.linsoul.com-2022.07.13-10_36_43.png
    screenshot-www.linsoul.com-2022.07.13-10_36_43.png
    230.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 13, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #243 of 821
Jul 13, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #244 of 821
Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #245 of 821
Just picked these up out of curiosity, and I'm really impressed. First tried it with the Mojo 2/poly, and it sounds great. Soundstage that is surprisingly closer to my larger planars than I'm used to out of an IEM. (These are super tip sensitive for me, it took me a while to find the right tip that didn't over-emphasize a frequency but would still give me a seal.)

I was enjoying it a lot like that, but for the hell of it I plugged them into my Auris Audio HA2-SF, and WOW. You wouldn't think so based on the specs, but these respond very much like Audeze headphones do in the respect that they respond very well to a lot of current. The soundstage width and depth are the best I've ever heard out of an IEM now, and it is extremely close to larger over ears in terms of imaging and soundstage. (You won't get quite the definition in the bass that you do out of full sized planars, but that's to be expected. And that is not me in any ways saying the bass response on these is bad, I'm enjoying them.) I'm sitting here right now and just floored at how close to full sized headphones these actually sound. (That's what prompted the post, plugging them into a larger amp and hearing them open up like that was quite shocking to me.)

Jul 14, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #246 of 821
Just picked these up out of curiosity, and I'm really impressed. First tried it with the Mojo 2/poly, and it sounds great. Soundstage that is surprisingly closer to my larger planars than I'm used to out of an IEM. (These are super tip sensitive for me, it took me a while to find the right tip that didn't over-emphasize a frequency but would still give me a seal.)

I was enjoying it a lot like that, but for the hell of it I plugged them into my Auris Audio HA2-SF, and WOW. You wouldn't think so based on the specs, but these respond very much like Audeze headphones do in the respect that they respond very well to a lot of current. The soundstage width and depth are the best I've ever heard out of an IEM now, and it is extremely close to larger over ears in terms of imaging and soundstage. (You won't get quite the definition in the bass that you do out of full sized planars, but that's to be expected. And that is not me in any ways saying the bass response on these is bad, I'm enjoying them.) I'm sitting here right now and just floored at how close to full sized headphones these actually sound. (That's what prompted the post, plugging them into a larger amp and hearing them open up like that was quite shocking to me.)

I concur with all of that. I had a similar experience detailed above plugging mine into my Schiit stack. They scale like crazy. How much time do you have on them? They seem to want 50-60 hours of run-in before they take on their full potential. I’m currently listening to this on them:

Jul 14, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #247 of 821
I concur with all of that. I had a similar experience detailed above plugging mine into my Schiit stack. They scale like crazy. How much time do you have on them? They seem to want 50-60 hours of run-in before they take on their full potential. I’m currently listening to this on them:

Maybe 10 hours or so, not very long at all. If they get better with time, you won't find me complaining :)

Jul 16, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #249 of 821
Would these still be recommended for smaller ears?

I was just about to buy the S12 at £130... The Hook is £239.

They’re a little big, honestly. Not the biggest. Certainly not Muse Power big. That set is HUGE. The Hook-X is on the large side of average. The S12 is significantly smaller.

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #250 of 821
Exactly.
They’re a little big, honestly. Not the biggest. Certainly not Muse Power big. That set is HUGE. The Hook-X is on the large side of average. The S12 is significantly smaller.

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #251 of 821
Cheers. Yeah, they looked quite big... I've rather smaller than average ears. The shallow nozzle also could be an issue for me. They look comfy enough. I'm gonna be selling my fiio fd5, which I love, but I fancy a change to a planar... Got a case of new toy syndrome but promised myself I would only buy new earphones once I've sold the last set. Fed up with sets getting added to the box gathering dust.

Jul 19, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #252 of 821

I don’t fancy my chances of snaring a Letshouer Z12 collab. Been chewing over taking the Hook-X route.

You and I have heard both but currently I am without either. Have you been able to EQ the Hook-X to have bass more like the S12? Since I’ll use them with a PEQ dongle, it’s more a matter of the best EQed result rather than stock result.

I know the S12 is quite shouty stock and is never really relaxed but with small tweaks it really sings…in a way the Dioko just can’t. What are your experiences with Hook-X vs S12? (Not factoring price)

Jul 21, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #253 of 821
A bit off topic but I just took receipt of the Raptgo Leaf and it is excellent, same 'level' of quality as the Hook...incredible soundstage...this is a partial open back...definitely out of head soundstage.... very coherent.....mids, bass, treble, all of it is superb.....bass is high quality, deep yet controlled....im sure it will be different after 100 hours, right now its a little too constrained but excellent nevertheless....soundstage is deep....very layered, excellent imaging...bass has good slam. A bit warmer than the Hook...treble sounds a bit rolled off....great texture and 'analogue' sound....I love it!

20220721_164734.jpg20220721_164737.jpg20220721_164750.jpg

Jul 21, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #254 of 821
What a lovely IEM, it sounds natural, organic, full, big.
Feels like they aren't trying or exaggerating to be good, they just bring me joy effortlessly, that's what I like about them, they just work and they feel effortless.

I also like their soundstage, interesting presentation and good tuning.

I was afraid of the peaks near 8k but they didn't bother me (I had fatigue issues with Starfield and 58X). They also passed the Loveless test; I can listen to the album without dying.
1658441125926.png

I love listening to rock/acoustic with them, Neil Young, Wilco, Derek and the Dominos, Steely Dan, Bob Dylan I could go on...
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is delicious with this IEM, I'm having fun listening to Pot Kettle Black, Kamera, Jesus Etc, I'm Trying to Break Your Heart...
1658441259688.png

I just need to find better tips for them but that's not an issue with this particular IEM. I always had comfort issues with every single IEM I tried; I need to find a tip so I can enjoy the Hook for longer sessions.

Finally, some pictures I took:
1658441732780.png

1658441744779.png

1658441755973.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back