Rap "too simple"? If Classical is 10 and Rap is 1, where is Rock?
Jul 19, 2005 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Okay, first off...

A) This isn't an invitation for a flame war
B) I'm asking because I'm confused by historical perspective
C) This isn't an invitation for a flame war

The recent Rap threads consistently have members describing their lack of interest in Rap (and occasionally R&B or Country... and I suspect though not mentioned also Blues) not by personal preference, but by it being 'simple' or lacking several traits they feel are present in other music genres. Triangulating, these complexities revealed elsewhere evidently assist in raising the quality to a level of like or at least interest.

The members making these comments are overwhelmingly Rock (and its sub-genres) fans ... as are the vast majority of threads on Head-Fi.

So sticking to genres as a whole (as many of the comments have been made against Rap, not specific Rap artists - there's obviously diversity in each group), solely on that 'simple' front, if you grant what's commonly now called "Classical" (and its multiple forms and performance sizes) as the most complex of the main genres (I've never heard it called "simplistic") at one end, then place Rap (and all its sub-genres) at the other, where does Rock (and its immediate offspring) fall?

Again keep the specific bands, albums, etc. out of it for this thread. I know that will be difficult, but I'm trying to understand the criticism by members who listen to Rock primarily/partially against Rap as a whole on this simple/missing elements front, not the diversity within each group. Many of the comments are about Rap. Tell me about Rock.

And please keep it from getting ugly. Please. Just vote for a number if that's all you can say without getting out of hand.

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Okay, first off...

A) This isn't an invitation for a flame war
C) This isn't an invitation for a flame war

Looks like one to me.
tongue.gif

I don't think that any genre is rateable like that. At least not for me.

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 50
Can we make Rap a 10 and Classical a 1 just for fun?
tongue.gif

BTW I voted Ice Cream. Look at my title - how could I resist?

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 50
exactly...why is classical a 10 and rap a 1? why not the other way around? i dont partiularly like rap that much, but i cant stand classical either...hmm...i think a flamewar is coming...this should be closed...

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
Looks like one to me.
tongue.gif

I don't think that any genre is rateable like that. At least not for me.

another one?

how about this, in my book rap is 10, rock is 7, classical is 1

or in my book, everything i like is 10, and the rest is "why do you care?"

edit: those guys beat me to the flip
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 50
What's wrong with blues?

Regarding your poll I voted ice cream.
Rock is around for many decades now and varies a bit.
I mean, some drunken punks recorded in a rotten garage, prog rock, art rock, jazzrock, metal and whatnot..........

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 50
well depends on what type of rock you're talking about. If you're looking for complexity, it ranges from things like Blink 182 and Green Day to Yngwie Malmsteen/Michael Angelo Batio, and if you include punk/metal, etc. as rock, then really it covers all the numbers from 1 - 10.

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Can we make Rap a 10 and Classical a 1 just for fun?
tongue.gif

BTW I voted Ice Cream. Look at my title - how could I resist?

I like ice cream. I'm currently eating pistachio.
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 50
I voted Ice Cream because none of the others really fit in my opinion. I've heard some very simplistic classical, some very complex rap, and rock that falls into every catergory...

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 50
Wow, rap is a one?

That's rough, dude...pretty big assumption to make.

Where is the bass love?

For me, all music genres are tens except for plain-old country...I've tried to enjoy it, but for me, it's just too darn twangy.

*NO OFFENSE INTENDED TO COUNTRY LOVERS*

-Matt

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I voted Ice Cream because none of the others really fit in my opinion. I've heard some very simplistic classical, some very complex rap, and rock that falls into every catergory...

LOL, and ICE CREAM is OWNING the polls.

They should have "ice cream" as an option for elections.

I mean, who doesn't like ice cream?
tongue.gif

-Matt

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I mean, who doesn't like ice cream?
tongue.gif

-Matt

Eskimos I'd say. :/

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #14 of 50
Guys, the inclusion of ice cream was obviously for fun and feel free to vote for it and chat about it... but the poll itself and the question posed in this thread is a good one. In my view, there is no reason to criticise the poll (or the pollster) for its construction: the premise behind the 10 for classical (as in complex music) and 1 for rap (as in non-complex) music was well stated by blessingx, and we need to give this thead a chance!

IMO, there could be some very interesting discussions that might stem from this. It's not about classical being "snooty" or rap being for the brain dead; rather, it's an effort to understand where (on average) those who have been putting down rap in other theads for beng too musically simplistic, are coming from! The premise that (again, on average) the typical head-fi'er listens more to rock than either classical or rap is also a good one, or at least that has been my observation (much as stated by blessingx). So which, in your view is rock more like in terms of its complexity, on average?

My vote was 7, although some of what we know of as rock leans much more toward 8, 9 and 10 these days, and the 50's and 60's rock tended more toward 6, 5, and 4. Again, on average, in my view.

Rap is ever so musically uninvolving and emotionless for me, which may well be attributable to my background as a (mostly) classic rock listener, and now jazz and blues as well. To my ears, most rock is further removed from rap than it is from classical, at least in terms of the listening challenge that it tends to present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back