Rap and Hip Hop Headphones
Aug 12, 2003 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 13
koss portapros.

Aug 12, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
koss portapros.

Agreed. Or the SportaPro which is even more bassy.

Aug 12, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
Definitely the Grado RS-80's.

Agree with MD1032, though I'd probably recommend their sister, the Alessandro MS1's for $99 shipped.

To be more accurate though, it would be good to know what they would be used with.

Aug 12, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 13
They are only going to be used to listen to music of my PC, w/o an amp.

So the choices are:

-PortaPros (2 votes)
-SportaPros (1 vote)
-RS-80 (2 votes)
-MS1 (1 vote)

Any other choices?

Aug 12, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by camote
They are only going to be used to listen to music of my PC, w/o an amp.

What soundcard?

Aug 12, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 13
I've been having a hip-hop midlife crisis of late, and my grado sr-125's have been great for my habit.

That said, I was just slumming around GoodGuys(yesterday) and came away with a pair of open-box HD580's.

The bass is quite different: to start, tight and fast. But not as enveloping.

The vocals are, as have been said before, transparent; and up-front. I have found this to be very different from my Grado's, where all tracks seem to have equal weighting, and dispersed (a sound i love, btw). I can absolutely follow the phrasing and interpreting of the doseone, cannibal ox, el-p, etc; along with the beats, which is something that I COULD NOT DO with my Grados.

If you are listening to more underground stuff (defjux, anticon), i think this articulation of the vocals is a benefit. People speak of the anemicness(sp?) of the bass on the 580/600s. My suspicions point toward a lack of amp on this point.

However, I can't listen to any of it on the HD580's without a crossfeed somewhere in the source chain. This I can't explain.

All that said, for the low(?) prices of a pair of 580's at many places, it might give you a different slant on what you are listening too / for whatever reasons you might be doing it.

They are still an open phone, which is a bonus for me.

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Votes so far:

-PortaPros (2 votes)
-SportaPros (1 vote)
-RS-80 (2 votes)
-MS1 (2 vote)
-SR-125 (1 vote)
-HD-580 (1 vote)

The sound card is currently onboard (SoundMAX). I know I should upgrade the sound card before saying I need new phones, but I am currently using the Jensen JB15 headphones, which aren't too great (or comfortable). I plan on upgrading to the M-Audio Revolution, depending on how much I spend on headphones.

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 13
I'm not sure you're going to get an answer from a general election as very few people have heard all the candidates.

Why don't you post your total budget? It might be easier to throw together a good combo. Schwarzenegger may be okay in Hollywood, but probably not in Sacramento.

Aug 12, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 13
i have soundmax. i by pass it with a sonica theatre though. soundmax used to give me all kinds of annoying pops and clicks. i say get an m-audio revolution and portapros.

and i'm voting for arnold.

Aug 13, 2003 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by camote
Hi. I like listening to rap and hip-hop. What headphones would you recommend

What headphones would I recommend for rap and hip-hop? The ones with the lowest resolution.

Seriously, I'd try a Grado SR60. Or if you can score one under $100, a Sony V6. With closed headphone, nobody else will have to hear what's playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back