Rant : PC crash and reboot
Apr 24, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really? I have had winxp in one of my machines for almost 6 years without reinstall and with no problem. If OP is having that much trouble with windows it's probably user error.

It's about how much you use it and how much software it has. Windows are constructed to take every setting and save it in a registry file. That means that with every installation, reboot and so on more bloat gets in. Also, there is the problem of viruses, malware and other kind of this nasty stuff and no telling the user that "he goes to wrong sites and he should use only google and .gov .org sites" and other of this bs doesn't work. The user should have the freedom to do everything he wants.

Also, I didn't force anyone to my opinion but saying that your Windows machine works for 6 years not needing a fresh install is not an valid argument. Knowing the structure of Windows and criticizing the structure of Gnu/Linux is, and any other OS for that matter.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, three pages into this thread and no one suggested reading the event logs - or did I miss something?

That is a good suggestion and goes to show you how we all have different methods of approaching computer problems.

I personally follow the OSI model by looking at Layer 1 issues first. There are many more variables with software than with hardware. Hardware is simple, but can cause major headache if faulty. Ruling it out will allow you to focus solely on software with greatly reduced problem multiplier factor.

Anyway, as James suggested, go ahead and take a peek at event log. Typing eventvwr.msc into a Start-->Run box will take you there quickly. Check application and then system for the past two days. This may be revealing.

Another suggestion, if one of the browsers is indeed blue screening your box, you probably can't see it because by default the system reboots right after. If using a LCD screen, it has blue screened and rebooted before the monitor has had time to lock onto the VGA resolution. Hit F8 before windows starts and choose the boot up option that allows you to "Disable automatic restart on system failure". The next time the system crashes during that session, you may catch the error.

James, often blue screens are caused by flaky hardware and then bad drivers in that order (assuming his system is BSOD'n). Checking hardware first is a logical approach as its most likely 80% of the problem. Correct the hardware and the computer should be stable. All without the eventual tedious process of backing everything up, reinstalling the OS, restoring applications, etc (you should be backing up regularly anyway).

Just my 2c.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #34 of 42
You must run a chkdsk before doing anything else. Have you done that yet? I read your posts but didn't see any mention of it. Make sure you check both boxes, which will require you to restart your computer and wait at least an hour or so.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #35 of 42
And if none of the above works, when is the last time you updated your chipset drivers?? Soundcard?? If you are having software problems, wouldn't hurt to update those... in addition to the videocard drivers.

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ziplock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a good suggestion and goes to show you how we all have different methods of approaching computer problems.

I personally follow the OSI model by looking at Layer 1 issues first. There are many more variables with software than with hardware.

James, often blue screens are caused by flaky hardware and then bad drivers in that order (assuming his system is BSOD'n). Checking hardware first is a logical approach as its most likely 80% of the problem. Correct the hardware and the computer should be stable. All without the eventual tedious process of backing everything up, reinstalling the OS, restoring applications, etc (you should be backing up regularly anyway).

Just my 2c.

Hi ziplock, while I second all of your suggestions, the vast majority of hardware problems I've come across were harddisk related and pretty much all of them had event records in the system log long before the users became aware of the issue. Not meaning to contradict you, just saying that event logs are not only about software issues.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi ziplock, while I second all of your suggestions, the vast majority of hardware problems I've come across were harddisk related and pretty much all of them had event records in the system log long before the users became aware of the issue. Not meaning to contradict you, just saying that event logs are not only about software issues.

Hello james, that's interesting you've come across so many bad hard drives. Much work in IT / Desktop Support? In my experiences I've seen bad disks in the past, but the overall hardware problems were always mixed.

While I do agree that event viewer is not just about software, I've found it much more useful for nailing down software related issues. When it comes to problems with Windows, I'm going to cover all low level diagnostics first. In most cases I don't even want to boot into the OS until that's done.

Over the years I've developed a very thorough and direct approach to diagnosing and fixing PCs. It's worked so well, I often like to suggest it to others. For some seemingly simple problems it may seem a bit overkill, but in the end it will guarantee you a rock solid machine. No stone left unturned so to speak.

Anyway, I hope the OP continues keeps us posted. Would love to know what the root cause is.

Apr 25, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #38 of 42
So far, no more crashes JUST by switching over back to Firefox, but will observe for a few more days. Seems Chrome (or maybe an extension) is causing the crash sometimes when a new tab is launched.

Really sucks - quite liked Chrome as it was more speedy. I am using FF 3.0.19 as somehow the new FF versions don't play nice on my system. (Might have to try again soon to see if some problems have been fixed)

As a side note, how trust worthy are hard disk SMART diagnostics?

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a Mac, people!!!

Only $200000000 dollars for inferior hardware, ignorance, and false sense of superiority?

Count me in!

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only $200000000 dollars for inferior hardware, ignorance, and false sense of superiority?

Count me in!

It's nice being ignorant yourself, isn't it? Because then you can just spread whatever other people say and be part of the tribe aint that nice now...

Apple has dropped the prices a lot the last year. Their build quality is still better than some junk out there at the same price length and hardware is generic nowadays for most laptops. Now for the false sense of superiority, I don't know if that's true or not but considering that Mac OS X is a solid piece of software and works well with their hardware I find that it's worth it for the users that want commercial/proprietary software.

- You have to be fair, I am also not a Mac user/lover. However, MS has made a big pile of **** lately. (not that the fundamental idea was good too...)

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, MS has made a big pile of **** lately. (not that the fundamental idea was good too...)

Just curious here, what exactly are you referring to ?

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far, no more crashes JUST by switching over back to Firefox, but will observe for a few more days.

Jubei, if that is indeed the case, sounds like some of Chrome's system files have become corrupt. It could be some of Chrome's data stored on bad sectors of the hard drive too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a side note, how trust worthy are hard disk SMART diagnostics?

I would not ignore SMART data. If one or more SMART attributes have been triggered, the drive is probably on the way out. If any of the attributes have a TEC value, I would backup immediately and decommission the hard drive before it fails. The TEC indicates there is some electro/mechanical part nearing it's end and will fail soon.

Do yourself a favor and download Ultimate Boot CD. It contains all the diagnostics you could possibly need. You have to make sure your computer will boot from CD-Rom first by checking your BIOS settings.

Check CPU, Memory, and your Hard Drive. UBCD contains Prime95, Memtest86, and the manufacturer’s diagnostic test for your Hard Drive and more. You'll have to know the brand of drive (Seagate, Maxtor, or WD) to select the correct test.

IF those all check out, proceed with a Windows scandisk (both boxes selected). You want Windows to do a sector by sector scan which will take a little while to complete.

Once all of those tests have passed. It would be safe to assume you could backup your Chrome profile (bookmarks?), uninstall the application, and reinstall a fresh copy from the Internet. At this point I would suspect your crashing would go away.

Your machine is sick. Take all the necessary steps to make sure it's OK. You don't want to just slap a band-aid on it and call it a day. Your problem could come back to bite you in ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back