flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 25, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #7,818 of 39,411
what we REALLY need is a frequency graph chart for cables

going full blown @Mimouille here i know

Feb 25, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #7,821 of 39,411
Still waiting for that cable-measurement thread :D

Piotr from Custom Art actually did a small investigation into measurable differences between cables on the Custom Art FIBAE thread. He found differences in CSD waterfalls and crosstalk, which some of you may or may not find interesting. He didn't post actual graphs because it was a tiny project he did for giggles, but it may lead to further understanding as to how cables are able to shift a transducer's sound. It's worth checking out and following up on, I reckon. :)

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #7,824 of 39,411
I'm just here to say I own five of the top 17 from this shootout (and feeling proud) and I echo Nic's thoughts on the Maestro/Mason V2 IEM. I have never heard something that is so balanced and tuned so perfectly to not emphasize any certain frequency, but rather presents the sound in so much natural fashion. Completely agree that it takes some listening time to appreciate the Maestro/Mason because it just simply gets out of the way and portrays the music exactly as it was intended. It's not boring, or flat for that matter, but it's just so "original" for lack of a better word. I love it!

Anyway, carry on. Just wanted to chime in after not being on this thread for a few weeks.

-Collin-

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #7,825 of 39,411
Was supremely busy the last few weeks with exam prep and Chinese New Year. Now that both are done and over with, it's time to reward myself with something fitting. My latest IEMs and the inspiration for its design.

PicsArt_02-26-01.28.29.jpg

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #7,826 of 39,411
Was supremely busy the last few weeks with exam prep and Chinese New Year. Now that both are done and over with, it's time to reward myself with something fitting. My latest IEMs and the inspiration for its design.

Whoa.... is that frosted white on half green/blue respectively ?? And is that also their new colourway??? More pics at different angles if you can buddy!!!

Cheers and enjoy!!!

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #7,827 of 39,411
Whoa.... is that frosted white on half green/blue respectively ?? And is that also their new colourway??? More pics at different angles if you can buddy!!!

Cheers and enjoy!!!
Thanks man. Following SE's ordering format I asked for transparent emerald green (main)/transparent sky blue (main) and solid white (outer body). Came out frosted white which looks like a marble surface, so I'm thoroughly satisfied with the design.

*EDIT: I didn't know if it was new, I just asked Grzegorz if solid white could be done and he said yes.

Will post more pics up soon!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #7,828 of 39,411
how is the se5 sound to your ears ? skip the pics , sound impressions is the important thing :L3000:

Feb 26, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #7,829 of 39,411
how is the se5 sound to your ears ? skip the pics , sound impressions is the important thing :L3000:
Natural as heck. Smooth, relaxed and expansive presentation. An effortless sound. Very easy to get into and wind down the day, like comfortable slippers. It's not a sparkle monster, but it makes it known like there's no need to be. Tonal accuracy is off the charts for instruments. Slight cons: BA-like bass (but good decay), and vocals are not as rich and immersive as I like.

Of course, more listening needed, and my impressions might change too.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #7,830 of 39,411
I'm just here to say I own five of the top 17 from this shootout (and feeling proud) and I echo Nic's thoughts on the Maestro/Mason V2 IEM.
Glad to hear you like them Collin!

However, I should point out that preliminary studies have shown that owning 5 or more shootout iems is a sign of serious addiction. If you notice such symptoms in yourself or people close to you, do not hesitate to seek professional guidance. If you ever need someone to talk to, I am there for you.

Stunning Lau! Looking forward to your impressions. Last I checked you were leaning towards the trebly side of things, so I'll be curious to hear where these eventually land for you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back