flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 18, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #7,262 of 39,414
I received my CE-05. My first impression is very positive.

Congrats! I would love to hear some impressions on this, I was looking at this as a step up to my Oriolus MK2. I got a Zombie today with 80 hours on it, it's a lovely IEM but right now it's overly bassy and quite distracting from everything else, early days though and hoping the DD calms down a bit after more burn-in.

Jan 18, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #7,263 of 39,414
Congrats! I would love to hear some impressions on this, I was looking at this as a step up to my Oriolus MK2. I got a Zombie today with 80 hours on it, it's a lovely IEM but right now it's overly bassy and quite distracting from everything else, early days though and hoping the DD calms down a bit after more burn-in.

Sorry to hear it's not your cup of tea. They are bass-heavy IEMs, but they're also fairly V-shaped and I find the treble to be great. Which cable are you using with the Zombies? I know cables can only make subtle differences, but perhaps a brighter silver cable can inch things along toward your preferred sound signature.

-Collin-

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #7,264 of 39,414
Sorry to hear it's not your cup of tea. They are bass-heavy IEMs, but they're also fairly V-shaped and I find the treble to be great. Which cable are you using with the Zombies? I know cables can only make subtle differences, but perhaps a brighter silver cable can inch things along toward your preferred sound signature.

-Collin-

I like them, they are extremely musical and smooth with an incredible punchy sound...like an Oriolus on steriods. It's just that the bass is more on the boomy side at the moment more often than not. I know it can settle the more you burn it in though. I'm using it with an EA Lionheart cable and WM1Z. I just changed the FW on the DAP to 2.0 as it's not as dark as the previous FW, which has helped the overall signature.

Jan 18, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #7,265 of 39,414
InEar SD5
Wood shell
1f62c.png

26996464_1611852835564326_60736157_n.jpg

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #7,266 of 39,414
It is very good. As per usual with these customs as universals, fit and tips are of paramount importance, and I am not even sure I have the perfect fit. I am also not sure that the cable gimmick and bass port are necessary. I am finally not sure that you need 16 drivers. However the result is very pleasant, a bit fatiguing with my LPG, so I will try the WM1Z. I am waiting for the balanced cable. Once I have wrapped my head around their sound I will A/B with the SE5U mostly I guess. They are closer to the SE5U than to the VE8 for sure.
What do you think of the bass quantity? Might withdraw as nowhere else to demo the unit. Jomo Flamenco and QDC Gemini are in list for demo soon.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #7,268 of 39,414
So happy for you, man! Is that a universal or a full-fledged custom unit? Regardless, though, I can't wait to see your extended and thorough thoughts on the IEM you've been hounding (pun intended) for the past few months. I'd also like to compare your thoughts to mine, which may or may not be coming early next week. :wink:
Have you paired the VE5 with Lionheart at any point? The VE5 have a lovely somewhat brighter tone from what I am used to, which with the demo units is also very tip-dependent, but I had a little taste of the pairing with Lionheart (balanced) and that added bit of warmth makes the VE5 sooooo good! :D

sooo good.gif

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #7,269 of 39,414
Have you paired the VE5 with Lionheart at any point? The VE5 have a lovely somewhat brighter tone from what I am used to, which with the demo units is also very tip-dependent, but I had a little taste of the pairing with Lionheart (balanced) and that added bit of warmth makes the VE5 sooooo good! :D

Unfortunately not, my 8-wire Lionheart doesn't have the warmth that the 4-wire has. The Ares II+ would serve as a great substitute, though. By the way, if you have small-sized Final Audio tips, you can use them as "custom sleeves" for an 85-90% custom fit. It's a little cheat you could use if VE ever decides to make UIEMs and you're not ready to venture back into customs. :wink:

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #7,270 of 39,414
Unfortunately not, my 8-wire Lionheart doesn't have the warmth that the 4-wire has. The Ares II+ would serve as a great substitute, though. By the way, if you have small-sized Final Audio tips, you can use them as "custom sleeves" for an 85-90% custom fit. It's a little cheat you could use if VE ever decides to make UIEMs and you're not ready to venture back into customs. :wink:
That's a shame because the tonality is really good with the 4-wire. At least very much to my liking. :D

I have tried my Final tips, which was very comfortable, but I also noticed a small change in the bass response compared to the tips that VE sent along. The tips VE included had an ever so slight lift in bass and sounded a bit more natural to my ears. The difference was very small, but for the purpose of the review I wanted to stick with those tips.

I have the older demo units, btw. The ones I demoed at Gisele's were the new ones and felt similar to the UE demo units I have tried, including oval stems.

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #7,271 of 39,414
20180119 -_DSC5798-85 mm-ISO 1000-1-100 sec at f - 2,5 - 3654 x 2675-2.jpg

Finally! First listen in coming up.. Exiting!

Edit: First reflection, i thought my UE11pro had good bass. But this is just awesome, impact, definition, range...... almost too much of the good, need to adjust.. After the first minutes i get a real Z1R feeling with them.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #7,273 of 39,414

Edit: First reflection, i thought my UE11pro had good bass. But this is just awesome, impact, definition, range...... almost too much of the good, need to adjust.. After the first minutes i get a real Z1R feeling with them.

The VE8 is one of the most enjoyable, immersive and engaging IEMs I've ever heard. Congrats! :D

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #7,274 of 39,414

congrats!

I had the chance to audition these
but wasn't my cup of tea but one thing I noticed is how good the layering these have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back