flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 15, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #6,901 of 39,414
I know many are curious about Oriolus and various other Japan exclusive models, I’ll be heading to Portafes tomorrow and will be sure to report back with interesting findings. However, at present I would like to take some time to introduce a new player within the upper echelons of audio. Those who attended the November Autumn audio show in Japan may already be familiar but they’ve kept pretty exclusive to Japan this year, in fact, their models are hard to find even there.

I recently had an opportunity to sit down with Mr. Yu who masterminded Oriolus. He introduced a new direction he’s taking with his designs under a new alias, Hyla (Hira in Japan) which will be joining Oriolus and PW Audio under his supervision. Using his experiences at Oriolus, Yu hopes to further refine his designs with Hyla, which comes off as more experimental and potentially geared more towards an international audience whatever that may entail. At present, Hyla offer two models, the CE-5 which is quite reminiscent of the Oriolus MKII but revised based on feedback for that model in addition to a higher-end model dubbed the Nerva X or LA-1 based upon the Mellianus.

CE-5:

The CE-5 is the more experimental of the two as its quad-driver setup comprises not only of a hybrid single dynamic + dual BA but an additional piezoelectric tweeter. I have seen some models from 1More and Radius using a similar type of driver but Hyla’s execution is a bit different, I will confirm in more detail when I get my hands on some English material. Other changes include a longer nozzle and retuned sound though it carries a similar RRP to the MKII, hovering around $1k USD. Of note, my tester unit lacked a PW cable instead implementing a more standard CIEM-style unit.

tfeRAOn.jpg

I was lucky to get a nice day of listening in while catching a quiet train up to Fuji, but I’ve still only spent a day with the CE-5 so take these impressions with a grain of salt. At the very least, I can confirm this is an interesting earphone that pursues an engaging v-shaped signature. Of course, beyond personal preference, it's the execution that counts, and the CE-5 is certainly a resolving earphone though I will need to AB more to provide more absolute statements. Onto the more subjective, the CE-5 has great bass extension and a quite a lot of emphasis relative to most earphones around this price. That said, bass is well controlled with defined, visceral rumble. Mid-bass seems a little bloomy on first impression but the earphone doesn’t sound remotely flabby or loose. Mids are slightly bright and sit slightly behind in the mix. They are naturally voiced and quite transparent, especially within the upper midrange where lower mids are a little warm. Clarity is also enhanced and background details are very well-resolved despite not bearing the brightest, airiest tuning. Highs are also well-extended but focus lies within the lower-treble making them aggressive and energetic over airy and delicate. They construct a large stage and their smoother middle/upper treble grants them with a clean presentation and darker background despite their more energetic midrange and lower-treble. So far I’m really enjoying the CE-5, it has a tastefully engaging signature that doesn’t compromise balance too much and it nails the technicalities. The longer nozzle also makes this an incredibly isolating earphone and they were perfectly comfortable during my first day of use.

Nerva-X:

Using the Mellianus as a foundation, the Verva employs a similar 10BA driver setup and the same design but Yu has implemented sterling silver housings as opposed to plastic and the internal chambers have been redesigned, I can't confirm any driver changes at present. The unit I tested was also attached to a new copper PW cable that exceeded $2300 IEM in price so unfortunately, I can’t comment on either the Mellianus or the stock Nerva X, but it does look like this model brings some very welcome improvements for the same asking price. As aforementioned, take these first impressions with a grain of salt.

u2R9FHC.jpg

The Nerva is immediately more balanced than the CE-5, it lacks the treble aggression and is rather a little darker and smoother with a U to gentle L-shaped sound. But despite its lesser treble energy, it is immensely detailed and very well extended if still not particularly airy, especially compared to earphones like the Andro and Katana. What surprised me most was the Nerva’s bass, they have awesome extension and not just for a BA earphone. In fact, a few listeners at the table mistook them for a hybrid; had I not been told by Mr. Yu, I would have completely believed that the thump, slam and impact of the Nerva's bass were created by a dynamic driver too. As for the qualities of that bass, like the CE-5, it is full yet tight, physical yet defined. However, the Nerva has greater articulation than the CE-5; though it is similarly impactful, it is a quicker more detailed earphone as it should be considering the price increase. The Nerva also had a really nice stage and a natural, impressively linear midrange from memory. For my tastes, the Nerva is the earphones I would listen to every day where the CE-5 is geared more towards instant gratification. That said, both are still balanced and technical enough to excel with analytical listening and neither falter under scrutiny as a lot of earphones with these styles of tuning tend to.

A5Ni6DP.jpg

So that’s the basic rundown, apologies for rambling and noisy photos, I can’t imagine how long tomorrow’s report will be! I’ve always been curious about Oriolus and PW so having the opportunity to try Mr. Yu’s latest creations was not only a great experience but a great honour. Yu definitely isn't shooting for anything “reference” with Hyla, rather, these are immensely engaging earphones built atop solid ergonomics and technical performance. I think the CE-5 will please a great many during tomorrow's show but the Nerva will shine over more extended listening.

Great impressions man! Based on how much you can write off of relatively short listening sessions, the Empire booth’s gonna be a whole lot of fun. :wink:

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #6,902 of 39,414
Thanks for sharing that Ryan, really interesting! The Nerva sound amazing, no doubt in part due to the cable. Just pains my heart to see such prices. Ouch! But curious to see how Hyla will develop in the coming time. And of course learn more about that PW cable, as it is always nice to have something new to drool over. :D

No worries, I don't get a heap of exposure in Australia, so I went to e-earphone beforehand and tested every iem in the shootout (can confirm that Nic has a tremendously good ear!). Honestly, if the Hyla stuff had not been good, I would've been crushed. Luckily, that wasn't the case, price is a bit... eh, but these iems are all made from unobtanium for me anyway.

Great impressions man! Based on how much you can write off of relatively short listening sessions, the Empire booth’s gonna be a whole lot of fun. :wink:

I was lucky enough to get a CE-5 for review so I've had a solid 10hrs with it already (new toy haha). The Nerva listen was more brief, I can't go into much more detail. And the rest is just ramble :laughing:

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #6,903 of 39,414
So much to look forward to!
No worries, I don't get a heap of exposure in Australia, so I went to e-earphone beforehand and tested every iem in the shootout (can confirm that Nic has a tremendously good ear!). Honestly, if the Hyla stuff had not been good, I would've been crushed. Luckily, that wasn't the case, price is a bit... eh, but these iems are all made from unobtanium for me anyway.
That must have been a lot of fun to do (and a lot of work!), which did you prefer?
I was lucky enough to get a CE-5 for review so I've had a solid 10hrs with it already (new toy haha). The Nerva listen was more brief, I can't go into much more detail. And the rest is just ramble :laughing:
But we enjoy reading it, so looking forward to your rambles about PortaFest! :D

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #6,904 of 39,414
So much to look forward to!

That must have been a lot of fun to do (and a lot of work!), which did you prefer?

But we enjoy reading it, so looking forward to your rambles about PortaFest! :D

Tough call from such a brief listen, I was personally a fan of the UE18+ but it was pretty loud and I can't take a lot of high-frequencies at higher volumes, they also didn't have a handful of models on display. Gotta say too, the prices in Japan are insane, I love how established their second-hand market, it helps promote the proliferation of the hobby. I will buy a bunch of outstanding models that may be harder to get in the West, will make for interesting if not popular reviews.

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #6,905 of 39,414
Tough call from such a brief listen, I was personally a fan of the UE18+ but it was pretty loud and I can't take a lot of high-frequencies at higher volumes, they also didn't have a handful of models on display. Gotta say too, the prices in Japan are insane, I love how established their second-hand market, it helps promote the proliferation of the hobby. I will buy a bunch of outstanding models that may be harder to get in the West, will make for interesting if not popular reviews.
I have only heard a few, but I also really loved the UE18+ when I got a chance to demo them. So smooth and warm with wonderful vocals. :ksc75smile:

Looking forward to see what models you will end up with!

Dec 15, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #6,906 of 39,414

The UE18+ to me is best loud. I guess it comes from how laid-back it presents its treble. I ended up labelling it too dangerous to own. :D

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #6,907 of 39,414
Hey guys! A few days ago, @piotrus-g of Custom Art sent me his most recent release: The Custom Art FIBAE 3. I've only been able to listen to it for a couple hours, but considering how much I've already written about it below, you can probably tell how much I immediately loved this IEM. Let's start with the fit and finish.

F3Actual.jpg

The design consists of a custom transparent turquoise shell, silver mirror foil faceplates, and a cut-out F3 logo that I designed in Photoshop. I personally think it's one of the most beautiful IEMs in my collection and one of the best-fitting as well. The FIBAE 3 is the third (fourth, if you count my H8.2's full reshell) pair of IEMs produced from my single set of impressions and they're the most comfortable of them all. It's great to see Piotr and his team continue to improve their processes as well as their finishing; Custom Art is really coming into form as far as cosmetics are concerned.

Sonically, the FIBAE 3’s most immediate merit is its outstanding transparency. This may sound like an exaggeration, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard this much information at once from an IEM before. Of course, I’ve had the luxury of hearing IEMs like the Tia Fourte, the U18t and the Zeus-R in my lifetime, but the FIBAE 3 - regardless of its driver configuration or price - proves mighty competition. However, there were compromises made for this achievement, most prominent of which is a slightly brighter tone. This isn’t the most natural-sounding monitor, but that’s not to say it isn’t musical or rich either. @flinkenick wrote something in his Samba review along the lines of, “There’s beauty in precision, and musicality in purity.” The FIBAE 3 executes its top-end lift to near-perfection; with elegance, smoothness and linearity in spades.

Piotr has also been mindful when balancing the FIBAE 3’s treble with the rest of its spectrum. Unlike IEMs like the Samba or the U18t that place emphases on their extremes, the FIBAE 3 pulls a surprising amount of focus onto vocals. Singers - much like the instruments around them - float on thin air, and yet they sing with a palpable strength. It won’t compete anywhere near the Zeus in terms of raw vocal prowess, but it does trade a blow or two in presence and resolution. Its bass impresses too, in quantity especially. Although compromises were made with regards to its tone and warmth, its extension and impact are nothing to scoff at. Sub-bass especially impresses with both a skull-shaking presence and a disciplined authority. Jazz and EDM tracks are equally fun to listen to, and that’s not often said when discussing reference-tuned IEMs.

Just like the FIBAE 2, the FIBAE 3 showcases incredible left-right separation. Part of the reason why its signature works so well is due to its spatial resolution. Its transparency and cleanliness isn’t only fuelled by its leaner presentation; a well-organised stage as well as a black background are the FIBAE 3’s unsung heroes. Like I mentioned previously, vocalists and instruments alike are portrayed with stunning separation; airy, silky-smooth and defined to the very last dot.

Now, I’m afraid this is as much detail as I’ll go into, otherwise I won’t have any material left for the full THL review. :D But, it’s safe to say, the FIBAE 3 is one of the most impressive performance-per-dollar IEMs I’ve encountered in recent memory; this time, with a more reference-oriented tuning. Granted, it’s a title I've given to almost every IEM I’ve reviewed thus far, but it’s a testament to how well the budget market thrives even with the ever-escalating driver wars taking place just beside. With the FIBAE 3, Piotr has in his hands one of the most successful product lines this industry has ever seen, and here’s to hoping for more great releases from Custom Art and beyond.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #6,908 of 39,414
Hey guys! A few days ago, @piotrus-g of Custom Art sent me his most recent release: The Custom Art FIBAE 3. I've only been able to listen to it for a couple hours, but considering how much I've already written about it below, you can probably tell how much I immediately loved this IEM. Let's start with the fit and finish.

The design consists of a custom transparent turquoise shell, silver mirror foil faceplates, and a cut-out F3 logo that I designed in Photoshop. I personally think it's one of the most beautiful IEMs in my collection and the best fitting too. The FIBAE 3 is the third (fourth, if you count my H8.2's full reshell) pair of IEMs produced from my single set of impressions and they're the most comfortable of them all too. It's great to see Piotr and his team continue to improve their processes as well as their finishing; Custom Art is really coming into form as far as cosmetics are concerned.

Sonically, the FIBAE 3’s most immediate merit is its outstanding transparency. This may sound like an exaggeration, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard this much information at once from an IEM before. Of course, I’ve had the luxury of hearing IEMs like the Tia Fourte, the U18t and the Zeus-R in my lifetime, but the FIBAE 3 - regardless of its driver configuration or price - proves mighty competition. However, there were compromises made for this achievement, most prominent of which is a slightly brighter tone. This isn’t the most natural-sounding monitor, but that’s not to say it isn’t musical or rich either. @flinkenick wrote something in his Samba review along the lines of, “There’s beauty in precision, and musicality in purity.” The FIBAE 3 executes its top-end lift to near-perfection; with elegance, smoothness and linearity in spades.

Piotr has also been mindful when balancing the FIBAE 3’s treble with the rest of its spectrum. Unlike IEMs like the Samba or the U18t that place emphases on their extremes, the FIBAE 3 pulls a surprising amount of focus onto vocals. Singers - much like the instruments around them - float on thin air, and yet they sing with a palpable strength. It won’t compete anywhere near the Zeus in terms of raw vocal prowess, but it does trade a blow or two in presence and resolution. Its bass impresses too, in quantity especially. Although compromises were made with regards to its tone and warmth, its extension and impact are nothing to scoff at. Sub-bass especially impresses with both a skull-shaking presence and a disciplined authority. Jazz and EDM tracks are equally fun to listen to, and that’s not often said when discussing reference-tuned IEMs.

Just like the FIBAE 2, the FIBAE 3 showcases incredible left-right separation. Part of the reason why its signature works so well is due to its spatial resolution. Its transparency and cleanliness isn’t only fuelled by its leaner presentation; a well-organised stage as well as a black background are the FIBAE 3’s unsung heroes. Like I mentioned previously, vocalists and instruments alike are portrayed with stunning separation; airy, silky-smooth and defined to the very last dot.

Now, I’m afraid this is as much detail as I’ll go into, otherwise I won’t have any material left for the full THL review. :D But, it’s safe to say, the FIBAE 3 is one of the most impressive performance-per-dollar IEMs I’ve encountered in recent memory; this time, with a more reference-oriented tuning. Granted, it’s a title I've given to almost every IEM I’ve reviewed thus far, but it’s a testament to how well the budget market thrives even with the ever-escalating driver wars taking place just beside. With the FIBAE 3, Piotr has in his hands one of the most successful product lines this industry has ever seen, and here’s to hoping for more great releases from Custom Art and beyond.
Sounds awesome, but like Piotr predicted, probably not quite a suitable signature for me. Nevertheless, I will see about bothering Gisele for a demo once she has them. As always, my curiosity to hear for myself is great. :D

Loving the design as well, it is amazing and very "you"!

Fingers crossed for the next FIBAE release, as I would really like to review some more Custom Art IEMs. (Yeah, happily admit to being a bit of a fanboy. :p)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #6,909 of 39,414

The design consists of a custom transparent turquoise shell, silver mirror foil faceplates, and a cut-out F3 logo that I designed in Photoshop. I personally think it's one of the most beautiful IEMs in my collection and the best fitting too. The FIBAE 3 is the third (fourth, if you count my H8.2's full reshell) pair of IEMs produced from my single set of impressions and they're the most comfortable of them all too. It's great to see Piotr and his team continue to improve their processes as well as their finishing; Custom Art is really coming into form as far as cosmetics are concerned.

Great write Deezel. I really enjoyed reading your impression, as well as @ryanjsoo recent early trip. Looking forward to see more! :) A lot of good earphones are coming soon it seems. I need to hold on to my wallet more tightly, hehe. Good thing we have CanJam coming too next year, I hope we can meet again and try some gears together. With Porta Fest commencing, I'm sure there'll be many interesting new products.

As for Custom Art, the FIBAE 3 looks like an interesting IEM with a suitable tuning for my preference. Do you think that the bass is alike Warbler Prelude? Not too big, but enough. And what do you think of FIBAE 3 compared to Avara AV2?

Thank you for your kind share. :) Best of luck with the review, and safe trip up ahead!

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #6,910 of 39,414

this looks amazing , and according to this very interesting post by @piotrus-g (where he tells the story behind fibae 3) the price is only 420 euros

i am very intrigued

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/customart-fibae-impressions-thread.854355/page-21#post-13864926

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #6,911 of 39,414
Great write Deezel. I really enjoyed reading your impression, as well as @ryanjsoo recent early trip. Looking forward to see more! :) A lot of good earphones are coming soon it seems. I need to hold on to my wallet more tightly, hehe. Good thing we have CanJam coming too next year, I hope we can meet again and try some gears together. With Porta Fest commencing, I'm sure there'll be many interesting new products.

As for Custom Art, the FIBAE 3 looks like an interesting IEM with a suitable tuning for my preference. Do you think that the bass is alike Warbler Prelude? Not too big, but enough. And what do you think of FIBAE 3 compared to Avara AV2?

Thank you for your kind share. :) Best of luck with the review, and safe trip up ahead!

Thank you! :D I'd say the F3 and the Prelude have very different implementations of bass. The F3 has a more physical, visceral and sub-bass-oriented low-end. Most of its impact comes from the sub, with a leanness and a dryness in its mid-and-upper-bass as a result of its upper-treble lift. On the other hand, the Prelude has a warmer, more analog and more melodic bass. The Prelude's low-end presentation is more natural, more rounded and jab-y, while the F3 succeeds through rumble. If I may use an analogy, I'd akin the F3's bass to ice-cream on a wafer; it's chilly and light, but the wafer adds a crisp texture that undercuts the sweetness of the gelato. The Warbler's bass is more like a breakfast pancake with maple syrup; it's softer, warmer, and the ingredients feel more organic and real. The former is something you'd order at a restaurant with no real emotional connection to the dish other than trivial pleasure, while the latter is something that feels more homemade and humane. It's 3.45 AM here in Indonesia, forgive my incoherence. :p

The AV2 has an entirely different presentation compared to the FIBAE 3. For starters, the AV2 has a larger, meatier and more intimate vocal presentation due to its heftier lower midrange. Although they share a similarly black background, the AV2 releases notes with greater thickness and weight, while the FIBAE 3 is airier and wispier by comparison. The FIBAE 3 beats the AV2 in overall transparency, but the AV2 still has the slight edge in vocal transparency. Though, when you consider the ability to resolve the entire ensemble, the FIBAE 3 takes the cake. The AV2's bass is also darker in tone than the FIBAE 3's, with a more linear balance between the sub-bass and the mid-bass. The FIBAE 3's bass tone is more natural and its layering is superior, but it's similarly dry in texture. The FIBAE 3 also has a wide treble lift, while the AV2's top-end rise slowly begins from the lower-treble. As a result, the AV2 lacks the FIBAE 3's immediate depth and cleanliness, but its tone is more rounded and natural as a result. Finally - before I do any further comparisons, that is - the FIBAE 3 trumps the AV2's stage organisation by a country mile; presenting instruments with more realistic proportions, more precise imaging and better-defined borders.

this looks amazing , how does it fare say to Katana ?

also what's the price ?

I haven't heard the Katana in months, so I can't really compare the two from memory. But, I will be stopping by Jaben Indonesia on Tuesday, so I should be able to compare the two by then. As far as my memory tells me, the FIBAE 3 is instantly more musical and charming than the Katana IMO.

The FIBAE 3 is listed on Custom Art's website at 525 Euros.

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #6,912 of 39,414
I haven't heard the Katana in months, so I can't really compare the two from memory. But, I will be stopping by Jaben Indonesia on Tuesday, so I should be able to compare the two by then. As far as my memory tells me, the FIBAE 3 is instantly more musical and charming than the Katana IMO.

i am really sold on getting it , even though i already have Zeus XR and NT6 (which are both amazing ciems)

actually i edited my initial post as Piotr mentions that the pre-sale price will be even lower until January at 420 euros

and if you say that it's more musical/charming than the 2000$ Katana , this says a lot about how good FIBAE 3 should be

well , where do i order FIBAE 3 ? :beyersmile:

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #6,913 of 39,414
i am really sold on getting it , even though i already have Zeus XR and NT6 (which are both amazing ciems)

actually i edited my initial post as Piotr mentions that the pre-sale price will be even lower until January at 420 euros

and if you say that it's more musical/charming than the 2000$ Katana , this says a lot about how good FIBAE 3 should be

well , where do i order FIBAE 3 ? :beyersmile:

I'd rather you wait until I compare it to the Katana before making any spending decisions. :D But - to be honest - even as an impulse buy, at that price, the FIBAE 3 poses an extremely impressive value. :p

Dec 15, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #6,914 of 39,414
Thank you! :D I'd say the F3 and the Prelude have very different implementations of bass. The F3 has a more physical, visceral and sub-bass-oriented low-end. Most of its impact comes from the sub, with a leanness and a dryness in its mid-and-upper-bass as a result of its upper-treble lift. On the other hand, the Prelude has a warmer, more analog and more melodic bass. The Prelude's low-end presentation is more natural, more rounded and jab-y, while the F3 succeeds through rumble. If I may use an analogy, I'd akin the F3's bass to ice-cream on a wafer; it's chilly and light, but the wafer adds a crisp texture that undercuts the sweetness of the gelato. The Warbler's bass is more like a breakfast pancake with maple syrup; it's softer, warmer, and the ingredients feel more organic and real. The former is something you'd order at a restaurant with no real emotional connection to the dish other than trivial pleasure, while the latter is something that feels more homemade and humane. It's 3.45 AM here in Indonesia, forgive my incoherence. :p

The AV2 has an entirely different presentation compared to the FIBAE 3. For starters, the AV2 has a larger, meatier and more intimate vocal presentation due to its heftier lower midrange. Although they share a similarly black background, the AV2 releases notes with greater thickness and weight, while the FIBAE 3 is airier and wispier by comparison. The FIBAE 3 beats the AV2 in overall transparency, but the AV2 still has the slight edge in vocal transparency. Though, when you consider the ability to resolve the entire ensemble, the FIBAE 3 takes the cake. The AV2's bass is also darker in tone than the FIBAE 3's, with a more linear balance between the sub-bass and the mid-bass. The FIBAE 3's bass tone is more natural and its layering is superior, but it's similarly dry in texture. The FIBAE 3 also has a wide treble lift, while the AV2's top-end rise slowly begins from the lower-treble. As a result, the AV2 lacks the FIBAE 3's immediate depth and cleanliness, but its tone is more rounded and natural as a result. Finally - before I do any further comparisons, that is - the FIBAE 3 trumps the AV2's stage organisation by a country mile; presenting instruments with more realistic proportions, more precise imaging and better-defined borders.

This is a wonderful comparison Deezel. Thanks, and I also appreciate that you're still up at 3:45 to answer. :) Based on your description, the F3 sounds somewhat like the Grado reference tuning IMO. Powerful sub-bass, enough mid-upper bass, lean/transparent midrange, upper-treble lift. Interesting tuning, and a lot of design to choose from. Man, this is hard to resist. Do you think Jaben sell the F3?

By the way, when you visit Jaben on Tuesday, come by Yudie's shop to try the RS2e. They have one used for sale there, I thought you might be interested to try.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #6,915 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back