flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 11, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #6,826 of 39,411
In the spirit of the holiday season, all 12+ driver headphones shall henceforth be known as Turducken.
But it's not really a driver within a driver within an even bigger driver. :joy:

Dec 11, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #6,828 of 39,411
Whoops, seems like not the best time to be checking this thread out..
Yeah man, Samba II, Mellianus, Oriolus Reborn, Infinity and of course the UE5 Pro Holiday Edition... So much temptation! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 11, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #6,829 of 39,411
Yeah man, Samba II, Mellianus, Oriolus Reborn, Infinity and of course the UE5 Pro Holiday Edition... So much temptation! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
So much indeed. I have to take a break from Head-fi for a while. See you tomorrow. :)

Dec 11, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #6,830 of 39,411
So much indeed. I have to take a break from Head-fi for a while. See you tomorrow. :)
And tomorrow...
"Hiya all, I'm back! What's new?"
doggiecart.gif

Dec 11, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #6,832 of 39,411
I am really ogling the Mellianus, but it is difficult to get a demo, don't know who to contact in China.

I needed to go to HK for demo and was only in luck, because their unit arrived on friday.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 11, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #6,833 of 39,411
I am really ogling the Mellianus, but it is difficult to get a demo, don't know who to contact in China.

On the good news, UM will send me a demo of the Mason V3 when I am back in China!

Read the Mason V3 review on Headfonics a few days ago and it looks like they sound pretty impressive with the copper cable. Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Dec 11, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #6,834 of 39,411
Damn, here i was looking at some budget cables...
BTW, any tips on cables that will have the best synergy with the VE8 (i just ordered the standard cable and that cable will of course be kept unused).
I was looking that some of the plussound cables and i am a bit intrigued by the T-metal wire.. But as always, to many options.. And it also need to work on the move.
I don't' want to spend an arm and a leg... But a nice looking cable is always good for the soul :)

That is an amazing pair and I hope you get them soon! In the meantime you can check out SilverFi cables, Effect Audio Lionheart 8-wire or Horus, or PW Audio. Just to stay in the Nickensian spirit, hehe! :D

Appearances can be deceptive...

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #6,835 of 39,411
BTW, any tips on cables that will have the best synergy with the VE8 (i just ordered the standard cable and that cable will of course be kept unused).
I was looking that some of the plussound cables and i am a bit intrigued by the T-metal wire.. But as always, to many options.. And it also need to work on the move.
I don't' want to spend an arm and a leg... But a nice looking cable is always good for the soul :)

I personally haven't tried this combination, but I feel like the EA Thor Silver II would make a great pairing with the VE8. It'll retain the VE8's awesome upper-bass and add some air up top too. I'd also recommend the Lionheart - because I think it'll improve the VE8's vocal presentation - but that one's a bit pricier than the Thor.

Dec 11, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #6,836 of 39,411
I personally haven't tried this combination, but I feel like the EA Thor Silver II would make a great pairing with the VE8. It'll retain the VE8's awesome upper-bass and add some air up top too. I'd also recommend the Lionheart - because I think it'll improve the VE8's vocal presentation - but that one's a bit pricier than the Thor.
I personally really liked the lionheart with the demos

Dec 11, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #6,837 of 39,411
From what I understand Lionheart is a very good pairing, as suggested before.

I am quite interested in PlusSound's T-metal myself, but have not yet heard any of their cables. Ergonomically I think their X-series looks like it would be really good.

Then of course there are the entry-level candidates like No.5, Ares II, Zen and the new Eos, but I have no idea which would pair best.

Dec 11, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #6,838 of 39,411
From what I understand Lionheart is a very good pairing, as suggested before.

I am quite interested in PlusSound's T-metal myself, but have not yet heard any of their cables. Ergonomically I think their X-series looks like it would be really good.

Then of course there are the entry-level candidates like No.5, Ares II, Zen and the new Eos, but I have no idea which would pair best.

I haven’t tried their latest T-Metal cables, but I do have an Exo (standard 4-wire) variant of their old Tri-Metal wire. I’d say it doesn’t really have a character besides a more forward and rich midrange, and a slight lift in the treble. It’s most obvious characteristic would probably be its staging. It has a tall stage with energetic vocals.

I personally wouldn’t pair the Eos and the Ares II with the VE8. I’m afraid they would take away from the VE8’s visceral upper-bass and mess up the brilliantly balanced treble. But, with that said, I haven’t personally tried out the pairing yet. If only I had my own personal unit to compare... :p

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #6,839 of 39,411
Eh, tbh, you can say it however you like, but you did lose it back there, and I think neither myself, nor crin, enjoyed that particularly. I was just suggesting you might consider alternatives to venting rather than thru internet words. In the spirit of cooperation, I just wanna say that I've personally taken time off Head-Fi, didn't think it was bad advice. But hey, if you gotta be on HF, you gotta be on HF. Such is our addiction. :wink:
Oh don't get me wrong, I know perfectly well I can be an a-hole when I get heated. I try to fight my Head-Fi addiction as good as I can, but there's always recurring stuff that requires me here. I am however seriously going to consider spending less time listening to iems after all the tinnitus talk :D Hope this discussion isn't the reason for your absence on the thread or Head-Fi.

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #6,840 of 39,411
I'm listening music with the VE8 since this morning and that's a very addictive sound! Compared to EM10 it's a less congested sound and a different sense of musicality, compared to the SE5U it's much more engaging!

Thank you Nic, Subguy812 and Mimouille to help me in my choice :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back