flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 8, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #6,706 of 39,414
Well flinkenick did mention that frequencies are relative should be compared to its surrounding frequencies, so using Inner Fidelity's graph.. If the audeze EQ has a +15 rise in the 2-3 khz region, and the raw measurement of the iSine20 shows a -5 dB regression at 2.5khz relative to it's 1.5khz peak, I would imagine what this EQ does -- even if it does NOT directly alter the 1.5khz bump, this increase to the 2-3khz region would indeed remove the 1.5khz peak and shift it towards the 2-3khz area. So sure, the EQ doesn't "lower" the 1.5khz region, but by increasing the depression after the 1.5khz region it more or less gives the same effect ...

One side is saying the 1.5khz peak is bad, the other is saying 1.5khz has nothing to do with it sounding bad, blah blah bla

If you want to compare frequencies relatively, then applying the EQ will make 2-3khz the peak of the graph. Audeze's EQ will remove that 1.5khz peak, regardless of whether they altered the 1.5khz frequency or not.

So saying "audeze's EQ doesn't even change the 1.5khz region" should not really be used as evidence of whether the 1.5khz is the issue or not.

I think Nic is more concerned that Crin and co suggest that a certain spike in a particular frequency range has an absolute effect on the sound when, like anything, that is not the case. It could have that effect in this instance, but it is misleading to say that X produces Y effect because that's how it is, that's what others say. Everything in audio is relative and almost every frequency range interacts with each other. It isn't that measurement gear is inaccurate or Crin's interpretation is incorrect.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #6,707 of 39,414
Hey everybody, I've been following this thread for some time, but never posted. For somebody who has the VEGA, what dap would you guys recommend around 1k? I was considering AK 120ii, ibasso dx200, or the opus #2. I know VEGA needs some power to really reach its full potential and I don't have the capacity to test out various daps myself. I'm open to other suggestions as well, thanks!

Dec 8, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #6,708 of 39,414
Hey everybody, I've been following this thread for some time, but never posted. For somebody who has the VEGA, what dap would you guys recommend around 1k? I was considering AK 120ii, ibasso dx200, or the opus #2. I know VEGA needs some power to really reach its full potential and I don't have the capacity to test out various daps myself. I'm open to other suggestions as well, thanks!

Based on the power requirements, I'd lean towards the DX200. But honestly, the Opus#2 should be fine.

Dec 8, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #6,709 of 39,414
I've only heard Vega with Mojo and DX200. DX200 with Amp 3 was amazing.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #6,710 of 39,414
Wow thanks for the quick responses and suggestions guys, guess it's down to the ibasso dx200 and opus #2 then. I was worried about the ibasso being glitchy because I have heard mixed things on whether or not they really fixed most things that were wrong with the interface, but I've also heard the soundstage is truly outstanding. I've also never heard anything except positives with the Opus #2 as well and wondered about the interfaces, soundstage and resolution between the 2. Also Pinky I think your reviews are great man, very detailed as well. They are very informative and a great read!

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #6,711 of 39,414
Wow thanks for the quick responses and suggestions guys, guess it's down to the ibasso dx200 and opus #2 then. I was worried about the ibasso being glitchy because I have heard mixed things on whether or not they really fixed most things that were wrong with the interface, but I've also heard the soundstage is truly outstanding. I've also never heard anything except positives with the Opus #2 as well and wondered about the interfaces, soundstage and resolution between the 2. Also Pinky I think your reviews are great man, very detailed as well. They are very informative and a great read!

Thanks Bahl!

It's interesting timing that you ask about these DAPs. iBasso just shipped the DX200 to me. I should receive it early next week. Unfortunately for you, it will be some time after that before I feel comfortable making a recommendation or going into definitive comparisons between it and my Opus#2.

You may not want to wait that long before making your purchase. :wink:

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #6,712 of 39,414
Thanks Bahl!

It's interesting timing that you ask about these DAPs. iBasso just shipped the DX200 to me. I should receive it early next week. Unfortunately for you, it will be some time after that before I feel comfortable making a recommendation or going into definitive comparisons between it and my Opus#2.

You may not want to wait that long before making your purchase. :wink:
Pinky I seriously recommend you try one of the extra Amp modules with it, it transforms it by no small degree (saying this blindly as I don't if they did ship any modules to you :L3000:). I thought Amp 1 was technically great but a bit dry.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #6,713 of 39,414
Pinky I seriously recommend you try one of the extra Amp modules with it, it transforms it by no small degree (saying this blindly as I don't if they did ship any modules to you :L3000:). I thought Amp 1 was technically great but a bit dry.

I'm not sure if they're sending any or not. I guess I'll find out next week. :D

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #6,714 of 39,414
Hey Pinky I can't even imagine how long it must take to go through your analysis and write the reviews. I guess now you have some "homework" to do then, but I'm jealous lol. I've just heard overwhelmingly positive things from the ibasso and Vega pairing in particular, so that's why I wanted to get more feedback about that dap because of the troublesome UI that I heard some grumblings about, but I'm hopeful that those issues are in the past. I look forward to the read though whenever that occurs and really look forward to seeing your opinion in regards to that comparison in particular. Should be fun!

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #6,715 of 39,414
Looking through 447 pages of replies is a bit of a grueling task, so I'm just going ask straight up:

Where's the andromeda review? It's considered a flagship for their BA line and basically the HD800/Yggdrasil of IEMs (as in, a flagship considered good for the money)

The Andromeda isn't in the shoot-out. The Vega is the flagship of their overall line and that IEM was the one selected for the shoot-out. Nic also selected it to add variety to the driver configurations.

Went to demo Fit ear 334 and 335. I would say Fit ear 334 is not really for everyone. 334's female vocal has a very large body and upfront. But all the background instrument is hidden away. You might be able to get away with acoustic tracks, but not with pop / classical. The 334 is all about vocal, the size of the vocal is so strange that I felt very weird as it is very different from most TOTL I have recently listened to (Zeus, VE8, U18, fourte, andromeda, gemini. I would describe the vocals on the 334 is like a foam soaked in water. The vocal size and body are larger on the 334 but it also loses its density. The enlarged vocals just sounded a bit weird to me, it is magnified and brought specially up front. The 334 will then filter out the detail of the background instruments to allow you to all in and focus on the vocals. There is no treble spike at all. It has a very fast treble roll off just like the SE535 and SE846. On lower volume, you literally can't hear any highs / treble/ cymbals. For treble sensitive people, it might be a good pick as both 334 and 335 have a very fast treble roll off. The 334 is all about its "special" vocal, but it is definitely not for everybody. And it is not my cup of tea. The 334 just reminds me about the glory days of SE535 and SE846.

If you are between 334 or 335. 335 is definitely the safer pick as it is a much all rounder compared to 334.

Thanks for your impressions, man! I've personally tried the 334 and I agree with your impressions. Back when I visited Japan a few months ago, I tried the Titan and I was pretty disappointed by its dark and unresolving sound. Hopefully they'll come up with something better at PortaFest, though.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #6,716 of 39,414
The Andromeda isn't in the shoot-out. The Vega is the flagship of their overall line and that IEM was the one selected for the shoot-out. Nic also selected it to add variety to the driver configurations.

Thanks for your impressions, man! I've personally tried the 334 and I agree with your impressions. Back when I visited Japan a few months ago, I tried the Titan and I was pretty disappointed by its dark and unresolving sound. Hopefully they'll come up with something better at PortaFest, though.

Does price truly indicate flagship? Feels like most of the people I've spoken to believe that the Andromeda is "better"?

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #6,717 of 39,414
Does price truly indicate flagship? Feels like most of the people I've spoken to believe that the Andromeda is "better"?

You visit the right thread on Head-Fi, and you could say the exact opposite. It comes down to preference. They are both TOTL IEMs.

For Nic, if you check some of his early posts in this thread, he chose Vega over Andro because he wanted another single-driver dynamic IEM in his list. There just aren't very many of those around, and he wanted to see that segment represented well.

Obviously, he wasn't going to put two Campfire IEMs on the list. You go down that road, and this shootout could have bloated to unimaginable proportions.

Also, I think I remember another of Nics posts where he states he heard Andromeda, and didn't feel it competed on the same level as the other IEMs he included in this very lofty list. I may have that wrong, so take that with a grain of salt.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #6,718 of 39,414

Well, the Vega is Campfire Audio's flagship by their own admission. It's their latest and priciest IEM that employs their most innovative technologies. I think it's fair to say the Vega is CA's premiere product. Now, whether or not it's the best-sounding will of course depend on personal preference. For example, I prefer the JH13v2 and the JH Lola to the Layla, I like the tonality of the AK70 more than I do the AK380, and I prefer the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open than either of the Ether's, but that doesn't change the fact that the latter models are their respective companies' flagships. Nic picked the Vega - other than, again, for driver variety - because it is Campfire Audio's flagship through-and-through. The only other non-TOTLs on the list are the Jomo Samba, the Rhapsodio Galaxy v2 (though it can be argued that it is Rhapsodio's flagship dynamic IEM) and the Earsonics S-EM9, simply because their successors had not been released at the time of the list's conception. If you'd like Nic to review the Andromeda, then you could ask him to; it's already far too late to ask him to add it to the list.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #6,719 of 39,414
I refuse to call anything with fewer than 5 bass drivers, 2 mid drivers, and 3 tweeters a flagship.

Five-Masted%20Schooner.jpg

Dec 9, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #6,720 of 39,414
Try also the WM1A for the Vega. The 1A has a powerful bass, and smooth treble which IMO could help maximize the potential of Vega's. Long battery, and simple quick UI. The Opus#2 I find has less driving power, although it sounds good for my easy-to-drive Prelude BA IEM. It sounds less bassy than the 1A, but the stage is wider, and more transparent + sound clearer. The DX200 with default amp to me doesn't really sound much better than DP-X1 which is a level below Opus#2, and the UI lags severely when I tried (it eventually hangs after a few minutes). The new amp module and FW update could improve/fix this though.

Well, the Vega is Campfire Audio's flagship by their own admission. It's their latest and priciest IEM that employs their most innovative technologies. I think it's fair to say the Vega is CA's premiere product. Now, whether or not it's the best-sounding will of course depend on personal preference. For example, I prefer the JH13v2 and the JH Lola to the Layla, I like the tonality of the AK70 more than I do the AK380, and I prefer the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open than either of the Ether's, but that doesn't change the fact that the latter models are their respective companies' flagships. Nic picked the Vega - other than, again, for driver variety - because it is Campfire Audio's flagship through-and-through. The only other non-TOTLs on the list are the Jomo Samba, the Rhapsodio Galaxy v2 (though it can be argued that it is Rhapsodio's flagship dynamic IEM) and the Earsonics S-EM9, simply because their successors had not been released at the time of the list's conception. If you'd like Nic to review the Andromeda, then you could ask him to; it's already far too late to ask him to add it to the list.
Speaking of Aeon Flow, I recently tried it and compare with RS2e. :)

P_20171207_201117.jpg

Here is my brief impression of them: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/page-2463#post-13899991

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back