Ranking The Stars - flinkenick's 2017 IEM Flagship Shootout (introduction and reviews on page 1)

First

Back
434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443
445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454
Next

Last
  1. Jackpot77
    Thanks for clarifying. Was just wondering if AAW had a "house sound", like manufacturers like EE (and Aurisonics back in the day), as I'd definitely try more of their offerings if this we the case. Feel a little guilty sullying all the high end measurement debate with some discussion over a SGD$299 iem, though... :wink:

That's one thing I genuinely love about this thread - the crossover between high end impressions, anecdotes, puppy GIFs / other dubious memes and hard sound science. Not to mention the occasional rickroll.

ezekiel77, Wyville and flinkenick like this.
  2. Mimouille
    Actually I might enjoy the Q more than I did the ten times more expensive AAW900...

Talking expensive and Aurisonics, anybody tries the Fender stuff. I was left unimpressed by the FXA7 (or was it the 6?) in Tokyo, plus the build was crap, and the FXA9 is not getting any special press. The FXA11 in the other hand, while only available in HK and super expensive (1.7k$), is getting interesting feedback. Thoughts?

Deezel177 likes this.
  3. fuhransahis
    I think it looks pretty.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Mimouille likes this.
  4. Raketen
    Talking about the Q and Aurisonics... all I want from Fender are some Rockets with tweaked ergonomics (in a q-jays shape would be perfect).

tim0chan likes this.
  5. Mimouille
    Do the rockets sound that good?

6. Raketen
    IDK how the Q sounds, just reminded me of Rockets because the smaller size.

It isn't my favorite IEM ever or anything & its sound isn't really my preference, but I view it as one of the most all-around competent IEMs I have used and consider it something of a benchmark/baseline by which to judge others, in terms of both form/build/utility and sound quality- a balanced 'neutralish-warmish' signature with a coherent presentation and mostly pleasant tone suitable for all music.

One of very few IEMs I have ever felt comfortable recommending without adding a bunch of conditionals (and how many IEMs have included a 5 year warranty? though being bought & discontinued by Fender probably complicates that.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. ezekiel77
    Well, no wonder the LCDi4 didn't impress my pal much, he was most likely auditioning it in stock mode without the Cypher cable or EQ settings.

flinkenick likes this.
  8. Jackpot77
    As @Raketen says, they aren't knock you down impressive, but as an almost "n" shaped tuning, they are nicely balanced, very good with vocals (like all the earlier Aurisonics ASG era gear) and just sound really nice to listen to on pretty much everything. Ergonomics of the cable could be a pain, but they are so small they can be worn for hours one you get the hang of it.

If memory serves, they were/are a favourite of @shotgunshane as well, which is usually a good indicator of quality if you are looking for a more neutral tuning.

Aurisonics were my first proper foray into decent audiophile sound after the gateway drug of the Flare Audio R2A kickstarter, and I truly loved the sound of the 1Plus, ASG 2.5 and Rockets. While Flare seem to have kicked on (the new Flares Pro are superb for the price, and only a little bigger than the Q), Aurisonics seem to have wandered away from the sound that made their name, and the last few series have been eminently forgettable. Would like to hear the FXA11 at some point if it's a return to former glories, but living in the UK I suspect that isn't likely, even with Fender's official distribution. Shame.

Edit: multiple typos removed. Damn autocorrect!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Mimouille likes this.
  9. Decreate
    Love the i4 and am currently using them with the 1960 4 wire, found that it gave me a better base sound from which to EQ.

flinkenick likes this.
  10. ustinj
    Nice! how are you doing your EQ?

11. saltyrabbit314
    Crinacle, you have demonstrated masterful knowledge of in ear monitors time and time again. i'm glad you are helping us all understand why the LCD-i4 sounds so abnormal and unnatural... I eq'd the 1.5khz peak down and it really sounds a lot better. I was ready to return it, as I tried following flinnkenick's EQ and it simply didn't cut it for me. but once i knew what to do from you crin, I just knew i had to keep it... amazing sound from a flagship here. I think you should apply for a writing job at theheadphonelist.com, i really enjoy your comparisons and when you talk about bass being a rapier and sledgehammer, and vocals being the manager of the rockstar bass, it makes me tingle inside -- i truly feel as if i can imagine the sound of the IEM when you say these things.

12. ranfan
    That's sweet of you saltyrabbit! :) By the way, are you going to CanJam again next year?

13. ustinj
    Definitely feel massive sarcasm under the surface here..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    fuhransahis and Deezel177 like this.
  14. saltyrabbit314
    Hi Ranfan! I do plan to go to CanJam next year, but it still depends on my schedule.

ranfan likes this.
  15. Mimouille
    Saltyrabbit is salty.

giphy.gif

First

Back
434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443
445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454
Next

Last