flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 19, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #6,076 of 39,414
Beat me to it. :wink:

Several manufacturers (like Jomo for example) recommend using one, but a friend of mine once broke his CIEM incorrectly using a dry box. Apparently, he inserted his CIEM upside down, and the acrylic/sound tube deformed somehow in the box. It led to major channel imbalance.
Dryer is better for eject excesive moisture from sound tube, damper and driver. But for UV light, i can not guarantee. At hearing aid UV light sterilizing but CIEM it may cause deformotion. Because UV light changes polimers moleculer structure so a fast aging occur.

edit: I can say that for your prelude.
*secondary info, havnt tested myself
i was told by a manufacturer that its safe to use, but keep in mind clear/white acrylic yellows when exposed to sun often,
not sure if caused by UV

interested to know also, have been considering hearing aid driers as well
Thank you for your answers. :thumbsup:

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #6,077 of 39,414
I also thought this was the case first with the AK380 since the effects are really subtle, but apparently it was implemented this way on purpose for engineers; the EQ only affects very specific frequencies without changing the tone or other frequencies. As a result, you kinda have to know a priori what you're listening for. Unless you're referring to a specific issue with your own unit of course.
Had a quick check and it is indeed very subtle, but does work. If I pull back the 60, 120 and 250 bands I can quite clearly hear the impact of the tympani and cello being reduced, but it is indeed subtle enough that you need to know what to listen for. Good to know because I might like to work out a setting for classical music, as I have felt my Ei.3 bring the bass section more forward than I would like it to be.
Have you not considered selling it and go for the (upgraded) AK70 MkII instead?

I've recently even considered the MkII myself, as I do like the design (in pics), it seems very portable, should have great sq (according to @Deezel177) and has balanced out as a bonus.
At first I didn't think of it as a serious option, because I thought it would not be able to hold (data wise) my music library. But now I've read that it also should work with the new 400GB micro sd cards, it might be an interesting option for later on :thinking:
I would very much like the AK70 MkII, but it is not the best option for spending the puppy-credit I have been carefully building up. :wink: IEMs are my top priority right now, as I am starting to more clearly notice the shortcomings of my Ei.3 for classical music. Plus, if I upgrade my DAP, I will likely go for a Sony like the WM1A or ZX300 and get an adapter for 2.5mm to 4.4mm balanced. I need the battery life! :D

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #6,078 of 39,414
In the meantime I've been listening this morning (again) with the qdc Gemini (switch down, out of LPG)
20171028_113845.jpg

After this weekend I will send it back, but I had a great time listening with it over the past weeks and from the ones I've heard so far, the Gemini is absolutely one of my personal favorites.
It really doesn't seem to do anything wrong (amazing all-rounder) and it will certainly be missed :ksc75smile:

Oh, and I also really like the cable that came with it :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #6,079 of 39,414
In the meantime I've been listening this morning (again) with the qdc Gemini (switch down, out of LPG)

After this weekend I will send it back, but I had a great time listening with it over the past weeks and from the ones I've heard so far, the Gemini is absolutely one of my personal favorites.
It really doesn't seem to do anything wrong and will be missed :ksc75smile:

Let's hope your Spartan and Prelude come soon to distract you before you have to explain to your kids that "Sinterklaas" is only going to give them an empty cardboard box from China. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Could still be fun though...
trans-1-5.gif

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #6,080 of 39,414

It really doesn't seem to do anything wrong (amazing all-rounder) and it will certainly be missed :ksc75smile:

Ohhh QDC so damn fine... Can't wait for my Gemini to arrive.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #6,081 of 39,414
The Encore and Katana have given me some food for thought. I wish I would have demoed them back-to-back with the VE6. All three have a somewhat brighter treble, but with the Encore and Katana it sounded to me like it was caused by a peak, whereas the VE6 came across more natural. Not sure if that is actually the case because I did not have that much time with them and especially the Noble demo was in show floor conditions. How would you characterise the treble of the Encore compared to the VE6?

Encore's treble seems to extend very far. It has a little more bite and crunch than the VE6, but is not prone to sibilance.

It's hard to say which I like more, VE6 or Encore. The treble sounds more ethereal on VE, and layering is enhanced. But Encore has the wider soundstage and deeper bass.

VE6 sounds thinner, sort of floaty and eccentric. Encore is tighter, more controlled, with weightier notes.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #6,082 of 39,414
Let's hope your Spartan and Prelude come soon to distract you before you have to explain to your kids that "Sinterklaas" is only going to give them an empty cardboard box from China. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Could still be fun though...
trans-1-5.gif
Thanks for your advise...my kids are so happy right now :grin:
20171119_174308.jpg
Btw, inside the Transmogrifier MkII you have an impressive soundstage depth.
Resolution could be slightly better though...

Attachments

• 20171119_171242.jpg
    20171119_171242.jpg
    935.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #6,083 of 39,414
Encore's treble seems to extend very far. It has a little more bite and crunch than the VE6, but is not prone to sibilance.

It's hard to say which I like more, VE6 or Encore. The treble sounds more ethereal on VE, and layering is enhanced. But Encore has the wider soundstage and deeper bass.

VE6 sounds thinner, sort of floaty and eccentric. Encore is tighter, more controlled, with weightier notes.
Thanks Pinky, very interesting! I think I was a little sensitive to the bite of the Encore, although I indeed did not hear any sibilance.
Thanks for your advise...my kids are so happy right now :grin:

Btw, inside the Transmogrifier MkII you have an impressive soundstage depth.
Resolution could be slightly better though...
Wow, that is really cool! :hushed: Lucky kids!

I have more advice if you like. Do you have a garden? Lots of fun can be had with just a shovel! :D
ch851219_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

Nov 19, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #6,084 of 39,414
Thanks Pinky, very interesting! I think I was a little sensitive to the bite of the Encore, although I indeed did not hear any sibilance.

I understand. Both Encore and Fourté are not suited for those who are easily irritated by treble brightness.

I'm fairly tolerant, but even I have my limits. The RE800 is proof of that. :wink:

Nov 19, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #6,085 of 39,414
I understand. Both Encore and Fourté are not suited for those who are easily irritated by treble brightness.

I'm fairly tolerant, but even I have my limits. The RE800 is proof of that. :wink:
Haha, I remember that review! Which, to be honest, I actually thought you did very well considering. Did you ever get that chance at the RE2000? :D

Nov 19, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #6,086 of 39,414

The older I get, I think the more attracted I'm becoming to brighter sounding iems, possibly because I'm losing some hearing at the upper part of the spectrum.

Nov 19, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #6,087 of 39,414
Haha, I remember that review! Which, to be honest, I actually thought you did very well considering. Did you ever get that chance at the RE2000? :D

Nope. HiFiMAN seemingly wants nothing to do with me. Possibly all of THL, as well.

Or maybe I'm misinterpreting my current standing with them and the silence emitting from their end. :D

Nov 19, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #6,088 of 39,414
Nope. HiFiMAN seemingly wants nothing to do with me. Possibly all of THL, as well.

Or maybe I'm misinterpreting my current standing with them and the silence emitting from their end. :D

Shame. It's always better when manufacturers are willing to stand behind their products despite negative reviews, rather than just cutting off the reviewers if they don't give then a glowing writeup. It's understandable in some respects as they do have a business to run, but I'd much rather read a less than gushing review on something from someone whose opinion I respected (and whose preferences and listening bias I understood) and pick the pieces out of it myself to decide if it was for me, rather than a series of 5* pieces from different writers each time, with no scope for comparisons or understanding of what they like or don't.

Actually going through something similar with the AQ Nightowl at the moment while trying to write up a review - I bought them recently as the Nighthawk are hands down my favourite all time over-ear, so was expecting a similar experience. After spending a free weeks with them, I can tell that the Nightowl are objectively a "better" headphone in a few areas and have been pretty much universally acclaimed on here, but for whatever reason, they just don't do it for me compared to the 'Hawks, so my review and rating will reflect that. I'd rather try and explain what I think is missing and my reasons/bias than give an impression through someone else's ears, so to speak.

Hope they send you guys the RE2000 at some point, though - the 800 review was a very entertaining read, so looking forward to the next installment! :wink:

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #6,089 of 39,414
I have been shunned by Cayin and after many attempts to communicate with them. I was kind and let them know I would be happy to revisit after a firmware update. I have learned mid tier is the trickiest to review.

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #6,090 of 39,414
Shame. It's always better when manufacturers are willing to stand behind their products despite negative reviews, rather than just cutting off the reviewers if they don't give then a glowing writeup. It's understandable in some respects as they do have a business to run, but I'd much rather read a less than gushing review on something from someone whose opinion I respected (and whose preferences and listening bias I understood) and pick the pieces out of it myself to decide if it was for me, rather than a series of 5* pieces from different writers each time, with no scope for comparisons or understanding of what they like or don't.

Actually going through something similar with the AQ Nightowl at the moment while trying to write up a review - I bought them recently as the Nighthawk are hands down my favourite all time over-ear, so was expecting a similar experience. After spending a free weeks with them, I can tell that the Nightowl are objectively a "better" headphone in a few areas and have been pretty much universally acclaimed on here, but for whatever reason, they just don't do it for me compared to the 'Hawks, so my review and rating will reflect that. I'd rather try and explain what I think is missing and my reasons/bias than give an impression through someone else's ears, so to speak.

Hope they send you guys the RE2000 at some point, though - the 800 review was a very entertaining read, so looking forward to the next installment! :wink:

I look forward to your review.

I have very little experience with the Nighthawk, listened to it only briefly, but I do love my NightOwls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back