flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 3, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #5,823 of 39,414
Nov 3, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #5,824 of 39,414
(does anyone know what the difference between Galaxy v1 and v2 is?0

They share the same DNA in terms of their signature and presentation. But V2 is slightly different due to the acoustic differences between the shells of V1 and V2.

V1 follows a slight U shaped signature due to the bass and treble being more prominent in the presentation. Bass has a focus on the subbass and doesn't provide sufficient warmth to the presentation. The mids are thin and slightly laid back with a bright tone due to its brighter upper midrange. It is a very analytical midrange. It's treble is again bright and with a wrong source, it would be quite harsh.

The V2 has a slightly better balance in the tuning with a touch more wamrth from the mid-bass, and the treble being less bright. Midrange is also not as delicate on the V1. But it still has a U shaped signature.

The main difference is in the stage and airiness. V2 is a bit more spacious in its presentation and has more air too. Other aspects such as separation and layering and imaging are all the same.

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #5,825 of 39,414
Thanks, @EagleWings! Deciding whether to go for it (v1)...

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #5,826 of 39,414
I was wondering if someone could answer a question please. I recently returned to the hobby and am currently using Vsonic GR07s & KZ ZS5s with an AK380, and plan to upgrade to a TOTL IEM before the end of the year. I listen mostly to rock, vocal & electronica in Hires & DSD and love the speed of BAs but also the bottom-end thump of DDs, but am not a fan of the incoherency of hybrids. I'd much prefer a universal IEM for less hassle and easier re-sale, and have narrow ear canals which suit small-sized Spinfits and Complys.

The Andromeda is top of my list as the price is (relatively) affordable, form factor is the same as the ZS5s which fit me well and they are apparently very resolving which is a big tick for me. The question (sorry about the preamble) is there any particular reason why the Andromeda hasn't made flinkenick's list while the Vega has? They're priced similarly, and although I've considered the Vega also have been a little put off by comments to the effect that the bass can be overpowering, and generally prefer the 'hyper detail' sound signature of BAs compared with DDs.

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #5,827 of 39,414
I was wondering if someone could answer a question please. I recently returned to the hobby and am currently using Vsonic GR07s & KZ ZS5s with an AK380, and plan to upgrade to a TOTL IEM before the end of the year. I listen mostly to rock, vocal & electronica in Hires & DSD and love the speed of BAs but also the bottom-end thump of DDs, but am not a fan of the incoherency of hybrids. I'd much prefer a universal IEM for less hassle and easier re-sale, and have narrow ear canals which suit small-sized Spinfits and Complys.

The Andromeda is top of my list as the price is (relatively) affordable, form factor is the same as the ZS5s which fit me well and they are apparently very resolving which is a big tick for me. The question (sorry about the preamble) is there any particular reason why the Andromeda hasn't made flinkenick's list while the Vega has? They're priced similarly, and although I've considered the Vega also have been a little put off by comments to the effect that the bass can be overpowering, and generally prefer the 'hyper detail' sound signature of BAs compared with DDs.

I believe it's merely because Campfire have called the Vega their flagship. The Andromeda is a different-sounding IEM AFAIK, so there should be no concern as to whether or not it's inferior to the Vega.

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #5,828 of 39,414

I think Andromeda is a fine choice for you. The main reasons for including Vega was that it was a diversity pick as a dynamic driver, and was getting a lot of attention at the time as the newer flagship.

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #5,829 of 39,414

If you're using AK380 as source, I'd recommend trying out the Dream. It fits well to small ears, and it also has a few production supply (Vega also, but I think the Dream is less), thus very good resale value. I got mine used and someone recently was offering to buy it higher than the price I paid. Excellent for electronic music. And also plays acoustic music rather well. The midrange/vocal positioning could be a little less forward (for my taste) though. I haven't tried it for rock music, but using a bright source (not AK380), high drum-snares and cymbals could be a bit harsh sometimes. However, I think you'll like the sound, and execution of its bass. It's a speed-monster; tight, quick, and powerful (that's what she said :D). It has the power of a DD, and speed of a BA. Technicalities are also great with the Dream. It has a good separation ability, resolution/details, and a big soundstage.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #5,830 of 39,414
The question (sorry about the preamble) is there any particular reason why the Andromeda hasn't made flinkenick's list while the Vega has? They're priced similarly...

Good question. In my opinion Andromeda would be much much better option for this chart than Vega, I think generaly most people like more truth balanced sound and according to many satisfied Andro customers Campfire definitely did it with them. But everyone have own ears preferences, from impressions as you can see a lot of people think Andro can compete with anything on CIEM market and you can see also a lot of opinions where not...But in my opinion anything over $1K is bloody hell expensive (sure not everyone will agree, many have 2-3 totl models and still do not have enough :D). If I would own IEM for $2K-$3K I would ask myself every day if it was worth for only sound.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #5,831 of 39,414
I think Andromeda is a fine choice for you. The main reasons for including Vega was that it was a diversity pick as a dynamic driver, and was getting a lot of attention at the time as the newer flagship.
Thank you for clearing that up flinkenick. Out of curiosity if I asked you to weigh the Andromeda against the TOTL IEMs on your list where do you think it might end up? I was surprised it wasn't included since my impression was it has been a huge hit since being released and frequently referenced as the current IEM to beat on another headphone audio forum.

If you're using AK380 as source, I'd recommend trying out the Dream. It's a simple universal which fits well to small ears, and it also has a few production supply (Vega also, but I think the Dream is less), thus very good resale value. I got mine used and someone recently was offering to buy it higher than the price I paid. Excellent for electronic music. And also plays acoustic music rather well. The midrange/vocal positioning could be a little less forward (for my taste) though. I haven't tried it for rock music, but using a bright source (not AK380), high drum-snares and cymbals could be a bit harsh sometimes. However, I think you'll like the sound, and execution of its bass. It's a speed-monster, tight, quick, and moreover very powerful. It has the power of a DD, and speed of a BA. Technicalities are also great with the Dream. It has a great separation ability, resolution/details, good transparency, and a big soundstage.
Ranfan my local specialty headphone store sells both Andromeda, Vega and The Dream so I'll certainly aim to demo them all at the same time. However the price difference between Andromeda & Dream is significant and after reading about it I'd been turned off by suggestions the AK380's internal amp isn't powerful enough to drive it optimally and that the add on AMP would be required. The form factors of Vega & Dream appear smaller than Andromeda though which may be a comfort factor in long listening sessions.

Good question. In my opinion Andromeda would be much much better option for this chart than Vega, I think generaly most people like more truth balanced sound and according to many satisfied Andro customers Campfire definitely did it with them. But everyone have own ears preferences, from impressions as you can see a lot of people think Andro can compete with anything on CIEM market and you can see also a lot of opinions where not...But in my opinion anything over $1K is bloody hell expensive (sure not everyone will agree, many have 2-3 totl models and still do not have enough :D). If I would own IEM for $2K-$3K I would ask myself every day if it was worth for only sound.
Knopi I would prefer a more balanced sound signature and am wary that despite my enjoyment of powerful sub-bass the thump of an IEM like the Vega may be fatiguing in long listening sessions. Paying a significant amount of money for earphones doesn't bother me so much as the fear of paying a large amount and being stuck with a pair that have significant shortcomings which are difficult to live with.

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #5,832 of 39,414
Thank you for clearing that up flinkenick. Out of curiosity if I asked you to weigh the Andromeda against the TOTL IEMs on your list where do you think it might end up? I was surprised it wasn't included since my impression was it has been a huge hit since being released and frequently referenced as the current IEM to beat on another headphone audio forum.

Ranfan my local specialty headphone store sells both Andromeda, Vega and The Dream so I'll certainly aim to demo them all at the same time. However the price difference between Andromeda & Dream is significant and after reading about it I'd been turned off by suggestions the AK380's internal amp isn't powerful enough to drive it optimally and that the add on AMP would be required. The form factors of Vega & Dream appear smaller than Andromeda though which may be a comfort factor in long listening sessions.

Knopi I would prefer a more balanced sound signature and am wary that despite my enjoyment of powerful sub-bass the thump of an IEM like the Vega may be fatiguing in long listening sessions. Paying a significant amount of money for earphones doesn't bother me so much as the fear of paying a large amount and being stuck with a pair that have significant shortcomings which are difficult to live with.

If you're looking for a balanced-sounding IEM at a decent price, the Andro is hard to beat. If you're willing to look at slightly pricier options, the 64Audio U/A6 and the Lime Ears Model X might be up your alley as well. I've only heard the latter in its close-to-production form, but both are great in terms of balance and versatility. :)

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #5,833 of 39,414

Fair warning though. I've owned Andromeda before, and the fit isn't really comparable with ZS5. I could tolerate the all-plastic build of the ZS5, but not the metal shell and sharp edges of Andro. It was the reason I sold it. Utterly fantastic sound though, pity about the fit. It doesn't bother some users though, so I recommend you try first if possible.

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #5,834 of 39,414
Try to use high gain. I used mine with it on DP-X1A and it sounded good enough (volume 100 out of 160). But yeah, it's understandably risky, and may not suit everyone. You could try the U10, which has a quicker, but leaner bass than U12, however it has been a long time since I listened. The Spartan is pretty good, but for more bass and less expensive price, there is the Cerberus. Alternatively, you could wait for the next Empire Ears release. I'm not very sure about the sound of their prototypes, but one of them I recall from last CanJam has a pretty good, quick bass.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #5,835 of 39,414
Fair warning though. I've owned Andromeda before, and the fit isn't really comparable with ZS5. I could tolerate the all-plastic build of the ZS5, but not the metal shell and sharp edges of Andro. It was the reason I sold it. Utterly fantastic sound though, pity about the fit. It doesn't bother some users though, so I recommend you try first if possible.

Any other IEMs that sound like the Androemda that you’d recommend? Budget being irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back