Rank the IEM's you've heard
Apr 30, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #4,006 of 5,126
I don't hear the Z1R as v-shaped, but that's more due to my hearing profile and sensitivities. I agree it's not as uber detailed as the summit-fi BA/EST flagships, but that's not necessarily a negative either. It also costs 2-3x less, so there's that.

The one thing that is certain is that the fit is hit and miss for many, which I think is mostly what sullies the Z1Rs reputation. I feel sorry for all those poor sods who can't fit them, I really do! 😅
Personally I do think Z1R is mild "v-shaped". For most of cases the vocals are living up to expectation considering its price (not summit-fi of course) but it hugely depends on tracks. Under certain circumstances the vocals can be so recessed that you need to touch the EQ a little bit. It's still one of my favorite IEM because of the unparalleled bass quality.:)

The fit isn't an issue for me when I am sitting. However, the moment I lay down, all the weight of this heavy boy falls on the very edge that's in contact with my antihelix. Oh dear that's absolutely painful!:sweat_smile:

Apr 30, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #4,007 of 5,126
Personally I do think Z1R is mild "v-shaped". For most of cases the vocals are living up to expectation considering its price (not summit-fi of course) but it hugely depends on tracks. Under certain circumstances the vocals can be so recessed that you need to touch the EQ a little bit. It's still one of my favorite IEM because of the unparalleled bass quality.:)

The fit isn't an issue for me when I am sitting. However, the moment I lay down, all the weight of this heavy boy falls on the very edge that's in contact with my antihelix. Oh dear that's absolutely painful!:sweat_smile:
Like you say it depends on the type of vocals. I only really listen to female vocals, and the slight upper mid bump helps bring them level. Source is important; I only pair them with the WM1Z now, which brings vocals forward and renders them with incredible detail. As for walking around with them - definitely not! These are sit down and listen IEMs for sure.

Apr 30, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #4,008 of 5,126
Like you say it depends on the type of vocals. I only really listen to female vocals, and the slight upper mid bump helps bring them level. Source is important; I only pair them with the WM1Z now, which brings vocals forward and renders them with incredible detail. As for walking around with them - definitely not! These are sit down and listen IEMs for sure.
Totally agree that source is important. I am pairing my Z1R with LPGT Ti right now, which gives me more clarity and better staging but sacrifice a little bit on the vocals compared to my previous "warmer" Shanling M8.

Apr 30, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #4,009 of 5,126
Totally agree that source is important. I am pairing my Z1R with LPGT Ti right now, which gives me more clarity and better staging but sacrifice a little bit on the vocals compared to my previous "warmer" Shanling M8.
Indeed. Also the M8 has a v-shaped tuning itself, so will invariably push the Z1R towards that tuning.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #4,010 of 5,126
I used to daily drive the Z1R lol

Thankfully with my ears, they never really fall and never did I notice the weight. They just sit nicely on my concha.

I really wanna get one again soon. I miss it lots!

May 2, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #4,011 of 5,126
The ones I own.

RAPTGO HOOK-X Universal IEM rated A
TINHIFI P1 MAX Giant Panda Universal IEM rated A
Sony IER-Z1R Universal IEM rated A
TRN Bax Universal IEM rated A
EarSonics ONYX Universal IEM rated A
DUNU SA6 Universal IEM rated A

Noble Audio Encore Universal IEM rated B+

DUNU Zen Universal IEM rated B
qdc Anole V3 Universal IEM rated B
Sony XBA-N3 Universal IEM rated B
Sony XBA-Z5 Universal IEM rated B

Tipsy TTROMSO PineStone Sea Universal IEM rated B
Sony XBA-100 Universal IEM rated C
TINHIFI T1S Universal IEM rated C
See Audio Yumi Universal IEM rated C
KB EAR Lark Universal IEM rated C
THIEAUDIO Legacy 4 Universal IEM rated C
BQEYZ BQ3 Universal IEM rated C
Fearless Audio S6Rui Universal IEM rated C
BQEYZ Spring 2 Universal IEM rated C
BGVP DM6 Universal IEM rated C
Tripowin Lea Universal IEM rated C
Tripowin TC-01 Universal IEM rated C
BLON BL-01 Universal IEM rated C
Magaosi K5 Universal IEM rated C

TINHiFi T5 Universal IEM rated F

Next:
Rose QT-9 MK2S, Hidizs Mermaid MM2, THIEAUDIO Elixir, ECCI YST-02, Tansio Mirai Sands, Reecho SG-01 OVA, TRN TA1 MAX, CCA CRA+

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #4,012 of 5,126
My latest ranking experiment...ranked purely in terms of my own personal enjoyment.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 11.27.44 AM.png

May 8, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #4,013 of 5,126
Figured I'd rank these while I still have most of them, as I'll be getting rid of about 2 -3 more or so. Ranking just what I own, with one exception being the Phonix which was sold 2 days ago to a colleague of mine.

1. Xenon 6, Odin
  2. Phonix
  3. Indigo
  4. Z1R
  5. EXT
  6. IE 900

Some background stats:

- The IEM that has fallen in ranking the most since owning it has been EXT. EXT used to be tied with Odin at #1 for quite some time after buying it last year in November, but XE6 has pretty much killed it off.
- The IEM that has risen in ranking the most since owning it has been Indigo.
- An IEM that I don't own that could shake up the #1 spot is the Aroma Jewel, which would supplant Odin. The Jewel is my favorite IEM I've heard so far this year.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #4,014 of 5,126
Figured I'd rank these while I still have most of them, as I'll be getting rid of about 2 -3 more or so. Ranking just what I own, with one exception being the Phonix which was sold 2 days ago to a colleague of mine.

1. Xenon 6, Odin
  2. Phonix
  3. Indigo
  4. Z1R
  5. EXT
  6. IE 900

Some background stats:

- The IEM that has fallen in ranking the most since owning it has been EXT. EXT used to be tied with Odin at #1 for quite some time after buying it last year in November, but XE6 has pretty much killed it off.
- An IEM that I don't own that could shake up the #1 spot is the Aroma Jewel, which would supplant Odin. Favorite IEM I've heard so far this year.

It was the reverse for me I had the Fir tour kit when my EXT arrived in the mail and once that happened I didn't go back to any of the Firs...though I had a torrid affair with the Xe6 for about a week. I'm looking forward to hearing it again with fresh ears once I get the tour kit back towards the end of summer. Odin is a great IEM but I find the level of detail almost overwhelming. YMMV etc. etc.

May 8, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #4,016 of 5,126
Whoa. Duo and Isabellae above u12t?

What are your quick thoughts?

I tend towards DDs, warmth, musicality and mids-- the Duo is all these things whereas the u12t is drier, a lot more technical with a more detailed but less technical sounding midrange. Choose your poison.

May 9, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #4,017 of 5,126

1. Xenon 6, Odin
  2. Phonix
  3. Indigo
  4. Z1R
  5. EXT
  6. IE 900

Some background stats:

- An IEM that I don't own that could shake up the #1 spot is the Aroma Jewel, which would supplant Odin. The Jewel is my favorite IEM I've heard so far this year.
What's about the Indigo makes you like it more over time?

May 11, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #4,018 of 5,126
What's about the Indigo makes you like it more over time?

The balanced / W-shaped tuning on Indigo is something that I ended up favoring for the portion of my music library that isn't electronic music. Around the time I got Indigo, I was using EXT for a lot of that kind of music (non-electronic) in my library but the U-shaped signature of EXT got annoying over time. I'd rather have the midrange, especially vocals, to be more forward than how EXT presents it. Having a recessed midrange in the form of a V or U-shaped signature is fine for the portion of my library that is electronic music though, which is pretty much all I use EXT for these days when I take a break from XE6. Also, I find Indigo's technicalities to be better than EXT in some areas, such as separation, layering, and imaging.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #4,019 of 5,126
New rank list w/ 2 more adds (Will update when I get a DUNU Vernus I was lucky enough to grab.)

* = Worth MSRP
** = Amazing Value

A+:

Tripowin X HBB Olina** (W/ Double Filter Mod or EQ)

A:

Moondrop Starfield*

A-:

DUNU EST 112
Drop + JVC HA-FDX1*

B+:

Seeaudio Bravery

B:

Thieaudio Legacy 4*
Softears Volume (W/ filter mod or EQ.)
Tripowin X HBB Mele*
BLON BL-03*

B-:

Fiio FD5
Tin T2*
Final Audio E1000*
Ibasso IT00

C+:

Kbear Diamond
LZ Z05A
Klipsch X11

C:

EchoBox Finder X1
Meze Rai Solo
Sfr D.T.6.

D:

Fiio FA7
Jade Audio EA3
NuForce HEM Dynamic

Rank list drops:

Thieaudio Legacy 4 (From B+ to B): Outclassed by the FDX1, poor soundstage. I'd only get an L4 over the FDX1 because the FDX1's fit can be a bit annoying.
Seeaudio Bravery: (From A- to B+): Mediocre technical performance, treble can be a bit zingy.
Fiio FD5 (From B to B-): The mids on these are not great and are a bit wonky, bass is a bit bloaty.
Meze Rai Solo (From B- to C): Very odd v-shape tuning that generally doesn't work, can sound telephonic at times, probably because the Solo has a hole on the upper mids with very weak treble extension sprinkled on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back