Rank the IEM's you've heard
Aug 31, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #2,476 of 5,126
Always interesting to read all the different perspectives :) If you wind up selling your Atlas, let me know...I may be interested.
As for perspectives. I think I had a realization lately that I just don't value some things as high as others. I can recognize when some things are better, but its really all about what I actually want to stick in my ears and listen to most. It seems like some of that gets lost in the crazy quest for more and more headphones/iems.

And I will certainly let you know if I do make that decision to sell the atlas. Im just getting to a point where I have noticed that my choices in what headphones to listen to lately are either my current favorite high end (obviously nio right now), or I go to much much cheaper IEMs that have a specific purpose. Specifically the er2xr when I need isolation, like when mowing the lawn or my aftershokz aeropex. The aeropex would be firmly at the bottom of the list in terms of sound quality, but they are bluetooth, sound fine for podcasts, and offer 0 isolation whatsoever as they are bone conduction, which is perfect for working out outdoors when I need to be aware of my surroundings. And thats kind of all I find myself using lately.

The point of all that being that I just havent actually listened to my atlas in such a long time, except for doing comparisons to more recent stuff. So I just have a hard time justifying keeping it when I dont use it, especially since they definitely still have some value. Kind of also why I am considering selling the z1r. As good as it is, for my uses (and for the fit) I cant really see myself reaching for it much if at all over the nio, even though I do think it still bests it in a number of ways. Basically I kind of feel like I really should just sell off the whole middle of my list there.

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #2,477 of 5,126
As for perspectives. I think I had a realization lately that I just don't value some things as high as others. I can recognize when some things are better, but its really all about what I actually want to stick in my ears and listen to most. It seems like some of that gets lost in the crazy quest for more and more headphones/iems.
That’s a very important point. It is quite an achievement when you discover what characteristics and qualities are most important to you, especially since there is no single product that is the best at everything, regardless of price. This is such a subjective hobby, and all that really matters is what you enjoy listening to most. I do find all of these lists very interesting, and never assume that something ranked #1 is necessarily definitively “better“ than something ranked #5.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #2,478 of 5,126
As for perspectives. I think I had a realization lately that I just don't value some things as high as others.

For sure I think this is inevitable in any human enterprise. For me it's all about how much I enjoy the overall experience of listening to an IEM. Some people obsess over various technical qualities but I've learned for myself that, say when talking about something like detail or resolution, that there is a point beyond which more doesn't necessarily result in a more enjoyable listening experience for me. I think for each IEM or piece of gear there is an objective list of characteristics (bass, treble, mids, speed, sound stage, detail, and so on) that is true about it but how these get ranked relative to one another is an entirely personal choice as we all value different things, have different sensitivities, and listen to different music, and so on. I would be surprised if you could find any two people in this whole thread whose top 5 is identical.

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #2,479 of 5,126
Alright, guess its time for my updated list, I am going to drop off a bunch of other stuff that I only briefly heard or havent heard in quite a long time and cant really recall any details about... So here goes.

1. 64 Audio Nio
2. Sony IER-Z1R
3. 64 Audio Trio
4. Campfire Atlas
5. Campfire Solaris 2020
6. Campfire Andromeda Gold
7. Empire Ears Valkyrie
8. Custom Art Fibae 4
9. Periodic Audio Carbon
10. Final Audio E5000
11. Etymotic ER2XR

Some comments here. I ranked the Nio number 1. Its not strictly "better' than the z1r or the trio, in fact I would likely say both the z1r and trio are actually better in a number of ways that I think are important to a lot of us here on these forums. Both the z1r and trio come across as more detailed, and both are a little more towards the more balanced signature that I think a lot of people here like. Bass on both the trio and z1r are a bit tighter and higher quality, while it can come across as a little loose on the nio. But with all of that, I just enjoy the nio more and I think it just hits my personal preferences a little better than either. Its an IEM I have had for 2 months now and I am still excited to use them every day, which is something that usually fades away quicker than this. The z1r is close behind, but the mids are not as full and lush as on the nio, and the fit is atrocious (even with custom tips) so as good as it may sound thats a big factor for me... Still deciding whether to sell it.

Some other things to note, I put the Atlas above the solaris and andromeda gold. I also dont think its again "better" than the other two, but I just enjoy it more. I also still have the atlas (though maybe not for long) and have already sold the solaris and andromeda if that says anything.

I miss my Atlas dearly haha probably my biggest sale regret. Certainly not the most technically proficient but such a large and engaging sound.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #2,480 of 5,126
Atlas was good, I miss mine too. Had a large and grand sound to it and the sub-bass was super fun. Wish it wasn’t so heavy for my ears and weighed the same as the Comet.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2,481 of 5,126
August 2019 update!
Once again, this is more or less an arbitrary "would I rather have X or Y" list that I almost certainly would not be able to recreate off memory. It only includes IEMs that I've tried (fairly) recently, since it wouldn't be fair to judge IEMs that I haven't listened to in months now, would it?

Jomo Flamenco
Vision Ears Erklonig
Hidition Viento-Reference (CIEM: Mine)
Sony IER-Z1R
QDC Anole VX

Jomo Trinity SS
Empire Ears Legend X
Vision Ears VE8
Jomo Samba (CIEM: Mine)
Shure KSE1200

64audio U12t
64audio U18t
QDC Gemini
Oriolus Percivali
Campfire Audio Andromeda (Mine)

Empire Ears Zeus XR/Effect Audio Arthur
64audio Tia Trio
Hyla CE-5 (Mine)
Hyla TE-5T
Hyla TE-5B

Noble Khan
Vision Ears Elysium
Sony MDR-EX1000 (Mine)
Lime Ears Aether R
Custom Art FIBAE7

Lime Ears Aether
Empire Ears Phantom
Custom Art Harmony 8.2 (Mine)
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Campfire Audio Solaris

Empire Ears Spartan IV/Effect Audio Merlin
Lime Ears Model X
Sony MDR-EX800ST (Sold)
Meze Rai Penta
Wavaya Quadra

Empire Ears Wraith
AAW ASH
Rhapsodio Solar (Sold)
Empire Ears Vantage
Wavaya Octa

Noble K10 Encore
AAW Canary
Custom Art FIBAE6
Noble Katana
Empire Ears Bravado

AAW New AXH
Wavaya Tria
Custom Art FIBAE4
Custom Art FIBAE Black
Wavaya Penta

Lots of budget-y stuff (Final E-series, IEMs like that)

The failures:
Campfire Audio Polaris 2
Astrotec Delphinus 5
Shozy Pola
Campfire Audio IO

That's one long list. What's your take on the mason v3+?!

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #2,482 of 5,126
Update:

1. Empire Ears Odin
2. 64 Audio U12T
3. Sony Z1R
4. 64 Audio Tia Trio
5. Hidition Viento-B
6. Unique Melody MEST
7. Campfire Andromeda MW10
8. Shure KSE1200
9. Audeze LCDi4
10. QDC Anole VX

Slight shake up. Moving 2020 off the list because Tia Trio wandered its way in. Moved Shure KSE1200 to #8 (from #5 - more on this later) and bumped up UM MEST and MW10 one rank each.

Now onto the Trio:

- if there was an IEM that combined technicalities and tonality without overly sacrificing too much, I think the Trio would be it. Odin - treble is a tad pulled back, U12T - no DD bass, Z1R - lower mids are lacking, Viento - no DD bass. One would think the Trio is a hard V-shape looking at the graphs, but oddly enough, I found my vocals not recessed at all and in the center of the presentation. Female vocals particularly have an extra boost to them which compliments the aggressive (yet precise) sub-bass very well. Male vocals has excellent texture to them as well. I find the full vocal register presented well with no holes in it which is really nice if you like vocals (usually either lower mids or upper mids are pulled back).
- DD bass - really no replacement for it. BA bass wise I think the U12T takes it as far as it goes, but for proper air, slam and dynamics - you just need a DD bass and the Trio gives gobs of it while being precise and not smearing like the LX or Hero. Reminds me of Odin in some ways, but I think Odin does bass better (better texture, more definition, reaches a little deeper).
- TIA highs - really the best treble out there in terms of definition, extension and tone. You can fight me on this one.
- mids - like I mentioned before, I don't find them lacking at all and well presented. There's no lower mids suck out or excessively boosted upper mids which are my usual gripes. Transients are good (probably added by the upper mids boost). Everyone overall just sounds sharp and defined.
- non-tangibles: I find the Trio has a very romantic and warm-ish sound to them. They're very easy to listen to and immerse yourself in. I find myself having longer than usual listening sessions compared to other IEMs because I'm so engaged in the music. Probably added by the light weight of the units and the internal APEX as well.

Shure KSE1200 bump down:

- after listening the Trio, I've realized how important tonality is to musical enjoyment. While the KSE1200 is very proficient technically, it's hard to have long listens w/ it because of its intense and sterile sound.

Hoping to demo the Nio soon and update the list again. So many good TOTLs and near TOTL out there right now.

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #2,483 of 5,126

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #2,484 of 5,126
Update:

1. Empire Ears Odin
2. 64 Audio U12T
3. Sony Z1R
4. 64 Audio Tia Trio
5. Hidition Viento-B
6. Unique Melody MEST
7. Campfire Andromeda MW10
8. Shure KSE1200
9. Audeze LCDi4
10. QDC Anole VX

Slight shake up. Moving 2020 off the list because Tia Trio wandered its way in. Moved Shure KSE1200 to #8 (from #5 - more on this later) and bumped up UM MEST and MW10 one rank each.

Now onto the Trio:

- if there was an IEM that combined technicalities and tonality without overly sacrificing too much, I think the Trio would be it. Odin - treble is a tad pulled back, U12T - no DD bass, Z1R - lower mids are lacking, Viento - no DD bass. One would think the Trio is a hard V-shape looking at the graphs, but oddly enough, I found my vocals not recessed at all and in the center of the presentation. Female vocals particularly have an extra boost to them which compliments the aggressive (yet precise) sub-bass very well. Male vocals has excellent texture to them as well. I find the full vocal register presented well with no holes in it which is really nice if you like vocals (usually either lower mids or upper mids are pulled back).
- DD bass - really no replacement for it. BA bass wise I think the U12T takes it as far as it goes, but for proper air, slam and dynamics - you just need a DD bass and the Trio gives gobs of it while being precise and not smearing like the LX or Hero. Reminds me of Odin in some ways, but I think Odin does bass better (better texture, more definition, reaches a little deeper).
- TIA highs - really the best treble out there in terms of definition, extension and tone. You can fight me on this one.
- mids - like I mentioned before, I don't find them lacking at all and well presented. There's no lower mids suck out or excessively boosted upper mids which are my usual gripes. Transients are good (probably added by the upper mids boost). Everyone overall just sounds sharp and defined.
- non-tangibles: I find the Trio has a very romantic and warm-ish sound to them. They're very easy to listen to and immerse yourself in. I find myself having longer than usual listening sessions compared to other IEMs because I'm so engaged in the music. Probably added by the light weight of the units and the internal APEX as well.

Shure KSE1200 bump down:

- after listening the Trio, I've realized how important tonality is to musical enjoyment. While the KSE1200 is very proficient technically, it's hard to have long listens w/ it because of its intense and sterile sound.

Hoping to demo the Nio soon and update the list again. So many good TOTLs and near TOTL out there right now.
Thanks for update. What’s your fav aspect of the Odin? I’m trying to talk myself into getting them!

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #2,485 of 5,126
Got an updated list too :)

1. VE Erlkonig
2. Sony IER-Z1R / EE Legend X SE / 64 Audio Tia Fourte Noir (I really can't decide between these 3. I like them all for different things. LX SE has my fav bass, Z1R fav treble, and the Noir kinda does everything well but not my absolute favourite at anything)
3. 64 Audio U12t
4. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020
5. qdc Anole VX
6. 64 Audio Nio
7. Sony IER-M9
8. EE Legend X
9. Campfire Audio Andromeda S
10. Sony EX1000

Final list update for a while!

It’s been an expensive couple of months for me in this hobby, but I feel pretty damn lucky to have owned/heard some amazing IEM’s, and I’m now at a place where I can sit back and enjoy my collection for a while and stop the constant chasing (famous last words but my bank account is now calling the shots). So with that said, here is how I would rank the IEM’s I’ve owned over the past 2 years of chasing the endgame dragon. New additions in bold:

1. MMR Thummim
2. Vision Ears Erlkönig LE
3. 64 Audio A18s
4. Empire Ears Legend X SE
5. Sony IER-Z1R
6. 64 Audio U12t
7. Empire Ears Odin
8. 64 Audio Tia Fourte Noir
9. 64 Audio Nio *not a new addition, but bumping it up the list after I discovered how much better they sound with wide bore tips.
10. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020/SE
11. QDC Anole VX
12. Sony IER-M9
13. Empire Ears Legend X
14. Campfire Audio Andromeda S
15. Sony XBA-Z5
16. Sony EX1000
17. FAudio Major
18. Sony XBA-N3
19. BLON BL-03
20. Sony EX800ST
21. Tin HiFi T4
22. Sony XB90EX
23. Sony XBA-4
24. Sony MH1C
25. Sony MH755
26. KZ ZSX

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #2,486 of 5,126
Final list update for a while!

It’s been an expensive couple of months for me in this hobby, but I feel pretty damn lucky to have owned/heard some amazing IEM’s, and I’m now at a place where I can sit back and enjoy my collection for a while and stop the constant chasing (famous last words but my bank account is now calling the shots). So with that said, here is how I would rank the IEM’s I’ve owned over the past 2 years of chasing the endgame dragon. New additions in bold:

1. MMR Thummim
2. Vision Ears Erlkönig LE
3. 64 Audio A18s
4. Empire Ears Legend X SE
5. Sony IER-Z1R
6. 64 Audio U12t
7. Empire Ears Odin
8. 64 Audio Tia Fourte Noir
9. 64 Audio Nio *not a new addition, but bumping it up the list after I discovered how much better they sound with wide bore tips.
10. Campfire Audio Solaris 2020/SE
11. QDC Anole VX
12. Sony IER-M9
13. Empire Ears Legend X
14. Campfire Audio Andromeda S
15. Sony XBA-Z5
16. Sony EX1000
17. FAudio Major
18. Sony XBA-N3
19. BLON BL-03
20. Sony EX800ST
21. Tin HiFi T4
22. Sony XB90EX
23. Sony XBA-4
24. Sony MH1C
25. Sony MH755
26. KZ ZSX

Wow, Odin so far down on the list... this should get some people worked up
:sweat_smile:

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #2,487 of 5,126
Wow, Odin so far down on the list... this should get some people worked up
:sweat_smile:

That's true but it's silly. If you get worked up over someone else's ranking then you're losing the battle of life. That said it's been long enough that we're starting to see some more balanced views of the Odin...and surprise surprise it turns out it doesn't walk on water. I don't agree with all of @Damz87 's placements but I admire and respect his consistency. Based on his and other trusted assessments I've read I'm starting to suspect that if I ever want to break into the $3K + realm and get something more than a sidegrade to what I have right now then the Thummim and Erlky are currently the best candidates for me. I'd have to sell a kidney to get there at the moment though.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #2,488 of 5,126
The Odin has folks worked up, then a list gets placed which gets those same folks worked up in another direction causing more posts and more exposure for the Odin..........getting more folks worked up ad infinitum.........well not really ad infinitum.........but a month or two :)

It’s always been that way here.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #2,490 of 5,126
Kinda reminds me of Solaris drama early on lmao.

I was never there for that but I definitely experienced the aftershocks. I was fortunate to have had a chance to demo Solaris for myself early on so I was able to form my own opinion right way rather than succumb to the words of those who were actively trying to hype it to the stratosphere or, conversely, meme it into the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back