Rank the IEM's you've heard
Aug 24, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #2,026 of 5,061
August 2019 update!
Once again, this is more or less an arbitrary "would I rather have X or Y" list that I almost certainly would not be able to recreate off memory. It only includes IEMs that I've tried (fairly) recently, since it wouldn't be fair to judge IEMs that I haven't listened to in months now, would it?

Jomo Flamenco
Vision Ears Erklonig
Hidition Viento-Reference (CIEM: Mine)
Sony IER-Z1R
QDC Anole VX

Jomo Trinity SS
Empire Ears Legend X
Vision Ears VE8
Jomo Samba (CIEM: Mine)
Shure KSE1200

64audio U12t
64audio U18t
QDC Gemini
Oriolus Percivali
Campfire Audio Andromeda (Mine)

Empire Ears Zeus XR/Effect Audio Arthur
64audio Tia Trio
Hyla CE-5 (Mine)
Hyla TE-5T
Hyla TE-5B

Noble Khan
Vision Ears Elysium
Sony MDR-EX1000 (Mine)
Lime Ears Aether R
Custom Art FIBAE7

Lime Ears Aether
Empire Ears Phantom
Custom Art Harmony 8.2 (Mine)
Empire Ears Valkyrie
Campfire Audio Solaris

Empire Ears Spartan IV/Effect Audio Merlin
Lime Ears Model X
Sony MDR-EX800ST (Sold)
Meze Rai Penta
Wavaya Quadra

Empire Ears Wraith
AAW ASH
Rhapsodio Solar (Sold)
Empire Ears Vantage
Wavaya Octa

Noble K10 Encore
AAW Canary
Custom Art FIBAE6
Noble Katana
Empire Ears Bravado

AAW New AXH
Wavaya Tria
Custom Art FIBAE4
Custom Art FIBAE Black
Wavaya Penta

Lots of budget-y stuff (Final E-series, IEMs like that)

The failures:
Campfire Audio Polaris 2
Astrotec Delphinus 5
Shozy Pola
Campfire Audio IO

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #2,027 of 5,061
How can I put IEMs in a linear list when some have such wildly different uses?

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #2,028 of 5,061
I also find them pretty hard to rank - my top 5 are pretty much interchangeable and they keep rotating places depending on my music taste/general mood at the time

Aug 24, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #2,029 of 5,061

If you're at peace with the reality that the list will constantly change, it's really not that hard. It only becomes an exercise in futility if that list is supposed to stand the test of time.

I don't visit this thread often, but I find it helpful to look back once in a while and roughly place the IEMs I've tried recently in order of preference. Maybe it's because I live somewhere with several IEM stores, so I'm constantly exposed to (and have difficulty keeping up with) wave after wave of new products.

Aug 24, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #2,030 of 5,061
1) Campfire Solaris
2) Sony IER Z1R
3) Noble Kahn
4) Campfire Atlas
5) 64 Audio U12t
6) Campfire Andromeda
7) Empire Ears Phantom
8) Moondrop Kanas Pro
9) Campfire Comet
10) Shure
11) Sony MDRXB50AP (These were still surprisingly good for something I bought for $30 out of an airport vending machine)
12) Bose Soundsport In Ear Headphones

1) Campfire Solaris/Anole VX
2) Sony IER Z1R
3) Campfire Atlas
4) Campfire Andro Gold
5) 64 Audio U12t
6) Campfire Andromeda
7) Empire Ears Phantom
8) Noble Kahn

Gap

8) Moondrop Kanas Pro
9) Campfire Comet
10) Shure SE215
11) Sony MDRXB50AP (These were still surprisingly good for something I bought for $30 out of an airport vending machine)

Aug 25, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #2,031 of 5,061
2) Sony IER Z1R
3) Campfire Atlas
4) Campfire Andro Gold
5) 64 Audio U12t
6) Campfire Andromeda
7) Empire Ears Phantom
8) Noble Kahn

Gap

8) Moondrop Kanas Pro
9) Campfire Comet
10) Shure SE215

Interesting... why did the Khan drop from 3 to 8? I have the Phantom and have been interested in the Khan.

Aug 25, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #2,032 of 5,061
Interesting... why did the Khan drop from 3 to 8? I have the Phantom and have been interested in the Khan.

Second thoughts...Khan is very mid forward with less bass than I prefer. It's worth pointing out that I regard all of those first 8 items as excellent...some are more to my preference than other though, and some of it is splitting hairs th.

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #2,033 of 5,061
Second thoughts...Khan is very mid forward with less bass than I prefer. It's worth pointing out that I regard all of those first 8 items as excellent...some are more to my preference than other though, and some of it is splitting hairs th.

I was really interested in the Khan but the more I have read about them, the more I suspect they wouldn't quite suit my tastes.
If you're ever heading to Victoria, let me know. I don't have much to offer for demo but if you'd like to hear the Phantoms again with the upgraded Eros II 8wire cable....
Noble Savants will still be here but the Bravados may go if I can figure out how to replace them with the Valkyrie.

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #2,034 of 5,061
2) Sony IER Z1R
3) Campfire Atlas
4) Campfire Andro Gold
5) 64 Audio U12t
6) Campfire Andromeda
7) Empire Ears Phantom
8) Noble Kahn

Gap

8) Moondrop Kanas Pro
9) Campfire Comet
10) Shure SE215
Personal taste is definitely a huge factor (and that's perfectly fine), as revealed by where you place the Atlas and Phantom.

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #2,035 of 5,061

I agree, even though I spent limited time with the Khan is was the mid-forwardness that left me wondering. Though at the same time you have whole groups loving the mid-forward sound? The Khan mids are not only forward but there is a lot going on detail-wise in the midrange. IMO
Also there’s a large group of folks who simply think the Khan is the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #2,036 of 5,061

Right.................... the ones that play all genres go up top, as they are generally regarded as superior. Though this question is subjective which means there is no right or wrong. If someone only liked EDM they could put some one-trick-pony up too as their favorite and be in order.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #2,037 of 5,061
I was really interested in the Khan but the more I have read about them, the more I suspect they wouldn't quite suit my tastes.
If you're ever heading to Victoria, let me know. I don't have much to offer for demo but if you'd like to hear the Phantoms again with the upgraded Eros II 8wire cable....
Noble Savants will still be here but the Bravados may go if I can figure out how to replace them with the Valkyrie.

Thanks for the offer man...I'll definitely take you up on it some day.

Personal taste is definitely a huge factor (and that's perfectly fine), as revealed by where you place the Atlas and Phantom.

Yeah I'm a huge apologist for the Atlas (I owned it for a month earlier this year) and lover of DD bass in general. The Atlas handles classical better than any other IEM I have heard- including Solaris and Z1R. I found the Phantom much too tame when I demoed it. Would love the chance to hear it again though.

I agree, even though I spent limited time with the Khan is was the mid-forwardness that left me wondering. Though at the same time you have whole groups loving the mid-forward sound? The Khan mids are not only forward but there is a lot going on detail-wise in the midrange. IMO
Also there’s a large group of folks who simply think the Khan is the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Yup and power to them...variety is the spice of life :)

Aug 27, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #2,038 of 5,061
1/ SONY IER-Z1R
2/ HYLA TE-5B
3/ HYLA CE-5
4/ 64 Audio U12T
5/ Empire Ears Legend X
6/ Acoustune 1650CU
7 Campfire Audio Solaris
8/ Empire Ears Bravado
9/ Fiio FH7
10/ Empire Ears Nemesis

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #2,039 of 5,061
MY FIRST LIST EVER - personal preference

1) Audeze LCD-i4

gap

2) Tia fourte

gap

3) JH Lola (so glad i bought this despite lack of popularity)
4) JH roxanne
5) Sony IER-Z1r
6) u12t
7) andromeda
8) ultimate ears 18+ 2nd gen
9) shure kse1200 (when it's good, it is god. when it's bad, it's painful)

nothing else really worth mentioning

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #2,040 of 5,061
Update:

1. Sony Z1R
2. Shure KSE1200
3. Audeze LCDi4
4. Anole VX
5. Sony M9
6. Empire Ears Zeus XIV
7. Empire Ears Legend X
8. Noble Audio Khan
9. Sony EX1000
10. Campfire Audio Andromeda (v3)

The Noble Khan has a very transparent midrange, nicely extended treble and very wide soundstage. I quite like it for my tastes. Only drawback is it’s a tad dry, but sharp and tight nevertheless. A bit bass lite.

The M9 succeed at everything. Amazing detail across the whole spectrum, very uncoloured and has a level of transparency I’ve felt with the Zeus before. Except it has a better bass! Only drawback is it can sound a little too “live” - very intense listening that will tire you out after a bit. Not really a sit back and chill IEM (TG334 for that). Some of the best BA bass I’ve heard. Reminds me of the EX1000 but that’s a dynamic driver. Regardless, imaging is well defined and crisp, soundstage is accurate and fit wise, they fit better then the EX1000 and Z1R for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back