3. Campfire Vega
4. Oriolus Mk2
5. Shure SE846
6. Noble Katana
7. Campfire Jupiter
8. Sennheiser IE800
9. Sennheiser IE8
10.A hodgepodge of others.

I think the improvements of the Sennheiser S model over its original are worth its ranking, particularly in its overall presentation. Though flawed in some areas, said overall sound is a perfect match for my musical tastes. When I want a high detail monster with picture perfect resolution - yes, that’s what Noble’s detractors are missing!, I reach for the Kaisers.

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #1,494 of 5,061
Updated list

1. Noble Kaiser K10 / Sennheiser IE800S
2. Campfire Atlas
3. Campfire Vega
4. Oriolus Mk2
5. Shure SE846
6. Noble Katana
7. Campfire Jupiter
8. Sennheiser IE800
9. Sennheiser IE8
10.A hodgepodge of others.

I think the improvements of the Sennheiser S model over its original are worth its ranking, particularly in its overall presentation. Though flawed in some areas, said overall sound is a perfect match for my musical tastes. When I want a high detail monster with picture perfect resolution - yes, that’s what Noble’s detractors are missing!, I reach for the Kaisers.

I will have to check out the IE800S. I believe I listen to a lot of the same stuff as you from the various posts I've seen of yours. What do you like/dislike about the 800S vs the Atlas?

<EDIT> I found some more posts of yours where you have compared the two - sorry for not looking harder.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #1,495 of 5,061
@M3NTAL: The IE800S is a bit of a darkhorse in the TOTL or near-TOTL IEM race, with a fellow Head.fier even going as far to say they are up there with the JH Layla.

IE800S pros:
-In spite of mild V shape, midrange is nice and natural.
-Transparent overall sound.
-Bass impact is spot on for my tastes.
-Sub bass goes deep.
-Treble extends nicely.
-Whoever tuned the IE800S must also listen to progressive trance, for the overall sound is seemingly made for it.
-The IE8 got the piano so so wrong. The IE800S does a far better job.

IE800S cons
-Imaging could be greatly improved.
-Some guitar strings, particularly Spannish guitar, sounds vague, metallic and near lifeless at higher notes. (Would a superior source over an iPhone 7 Plus improve this?)
-No ability to upgrade the cable, proprietary tips that would make even Steve Jobs gush.
-The IE800 is not a detail devil nor a texture titan. The didgeriedoo in “Grillos” by Paco Fernandez (fans of the Cafe del Mar series will recognise this one) lacks a sense of textural realism. (I should have thrown this at the Atlas). The Kaiser really brings it, and those strings, to life.

The CA Atlas needs a third going over methinks. The first audition was somewhat different to the second, with the latter revealing bass impact that dominated like an unruly dog. The first audition it had a lot more wow factor, but the second I felt the bass lacked the sort of texture that I came to love with the Kaiser (and was frustrated by in equal measure by its low impact, typical of BA IEMs). As I say, this second audition: the Atlas’ bass had far too much impact.

The timbre of the piano sounds somehow exaggerated with the Atlas too.

The mids of the Atlas are also on the warm side. The Kaisers are just slightly warm but have a lifelike quality to them. The IE800S has a certain naturality to it too, with a more neutral quality.

I have yet to audition the IE800S or Atlas with Dire Straits’ “Love Over Gold,” the xylophone in which being a very telling passage as to an IEM’s prowess. (The Kaisers absolutely nail it with each individual note ringing out as one - others make a real hash of it, most notably the Shure SE846).

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #1,496 of 5,061
My sample size is relatively small, but here goes:

- UE 18 Pro+ (2018 version with SuperBax cable): The absolute best I've tried so far, much better definition and bass than my previous pair of UE monitors. The 3d scan of my ears has resulted in the best fit/seal that I've experienced thus far. The SuperBax cable is also ridiculously slim and light, pretty much like not having a cable at all. String instruments sound ridiculously good.
- UE 18 Pro (original): These were my go to pair for over 8 years. I loved the comfort, but always felt that they could have more presence.
- UE Triple Fi 10 Pro: Loved these at the time, but the comfort just wasn't there.
- JH Audio Roxanne 2: Really full bodied sound, impressive but somewhat overwhelming to my ears — these are meant to rock out hard. Not a big fan of the thick black dragon cables or the bass pod, they feel really bulky overall as the monitors themselves are also pretty heavy.
- Shure E4C/E3C: My first pair of nice IEMs. Much better than the white earbuds I was using at the time, but didn't like how much work it took to get a good seal with these.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #1,497 of 5,061
Auditioning the JH Lolas now... Not sure where they figure in my list... Great sound is all I can say for now.

Edit: The Lolas, as predicted given Slash’s high praise of them, are tuned perfectly for rock and metal. Amorphis and Insomnium sound as I’ve never heard them before. They are, however, almost boring and lifeless when anything electronic is played through them!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #1,498 of 5,061
Been on this forum less than a year. Damn this hobby is addicting! Here is my list.

1. U18, damn this iem is really good. Big sound, feels like hearing from headphone, insane transparency, soundstage and detail. But that price..

2. Prophile 8, close to U18 with smaller soundstage.

3. JH Layla I, expansive soundstage and well bodied notes.

4. Andromeda, expansive 3D soundstage, warm with sparkle. Bit analytic to me.

5. Fitear 334, good mid and vocal.

6. Noble Audio Sage, good balance, warm, good soundstage for the price and engaging

7. iSine 20, good detail, expansive but Audeze signature is not my cup of tea.

W900 latest update tuning with new cable is coming, also Empire Ears Bravado and Rhapsodio Zombie. Will see how they come to the list.

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #1,499 of 5,061
Been on this forum less than a year. Damn this hobby is addicting! Here is my list.

1. U18, damn this iem is really good. Big sound, feels like hearing from headphone, insane transparency, soundstage and detail. But that price..

2. Prophile 8, close to U18 with smaller soundstage.

3. JH Layla I, expansive soundstage and well bodied notes.

4. Andromeda, expansive 3D soundstage, warm with sparkle. Bit analytic to me.

5. Fitear 334, good mid and vocal.

6. Noble Audio Sage, good balance, warm, good soundstage for the price and engaging

7. iSine 20, good detail, expansive but Audeze signature is not my cup of tea.

W900 latest update tuning with new cable is coming, also Empire Ears Bravado and Rhapsodio Zombie. Will see how they come to the list.

oh boy can't wait to read about the updated w900. The original was rather meh with wonky treble. Bravado's pretty good. Mini LX imo. Zombie was rather disappointing. Hoped for a solar upgrade but i got a bass overload with suppressed vocals and subdued treble, not to mention the insane driver flex. feels like plastic crunching in my ears everytime i move my jaws

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #1,500 of 5,061
this is a ROUGH estimate. These are all incredible iems and I would take any one of them and be a happy camper. Best bang for the buck is a used ie800, hands down. They give top notch clarity and resolution for 350ish used. a little bright but lively and engaging and laid back enough to be non fatiguing.

Best of the best-

64 AUDIO TIA FOURTE- just rocked my world- bright, incredible bass texture, detail and soundstage monsters. Like an ie800 without the treble glare, better on all fronts.

64 AUDIO U18 - Didn't compare back to back but they are like the Andromeda with better bass and somewhat less "muscly" sounding, but still engaging and punchy. Full size equivalent would be a well driven he-6 in terms of frequency. These along with the Andromeda have the most balanced frequency response, but not quite as much of a wow factor as the tia fourte, just like the andro were more even than the ie800, but lacked the wow factor.

Audeze lcd-i4- love the form factor, sound, open, iem- If I could only keep one piece of gear, this would be it. best compromise on all fronts for me

audeze- isine 10/20- 10 has a more balanced frequency response, isine 20 is noticeably warmer. cypher v1 had WAY too much presence from 1k-7k, had to eq that down all they way on the app. Maybe ive got a faulty cypher cable, but you can eq these to have the best bass besides the he1k imo.

JH AUDIO JH16V2- these have a slight treble spike but they are truly like a layla and jh13v2 had a baby- a great compromise with the slight dip from 2-5k but not as drastic as the layla, with the bite in the treble from the jh13v2 but not quite as shouty in the upper mids, but that dip takes away from the perceived detail and soundstage of the jh13v2. Also the jh line has great bass texture and extension. These actually remind me a lot of the he-1000 with a more forward punchy presentation, but very similar tuning. Someone said these are the sweet spot in the jh lineup, and having heard all the higher end but the lola, id agree. Great middle ground

CAMPFIRE ANDROMEDA- Again, these are incredibly even in the frequency response, bright but warm, not fatiguing, not splashy, just right. forward presentation but large stage. I prefer the frequency response of these to the ie800, but sometimes the imperfections of frequency response give a little more life and wow factor, which is why I ultimately preferred the ie800 even though I think the andro's are "better" if that makes sense.

Earsonics S-EM9- having a hard time deciding where to put these, great subbass, not too much midbass, super fast mids, great treble that's almost perfect. These are like how I expected the w60/w80 to sound. Take the westone series and fix the problems (too much midbass, recessed 2-5k and add a hair more treble sparkle) and you've got the sem-9. They are laid back and relaxing with a great frequency response. The fit wasn't my favorite by any means.

JH AUDIO JH13V2- I LOVE THESE. There is incredible amounds of air, and they are so precise and like a scalpel with their leading edges. There is great bass texture, great presence in the upper mids/lower treble, a nice sparkle up to about 8.5k and then a dip to avoid too much tizzyness. These are the HD800's of iems, truly. Ive compared and they are so similar, and I love them despite being a hair bright and sibilant.

SENNHEISER IE800 / IE800S- ie 800 is a little more exciting, ie800s is a little more warm and refined in the treble but still a hair tizzy. ie800 is unbeatable with classical in my opinion.

Still incredible, but there are conflicts with my preference that put them in a lower tier due to preference only-

JH AUDIO LAYLA- these are just a bit too warm for me. they are a bit more chesty in the lower mids than the jh13v2 and jh16v2, and dip just 2-3 db too much from 2-5 for me to LOVE them, but that bass is incredible, and they are sooo smooooth without losing ALL the sparkle, they just have a little too much of a dip for me. But if you like warm smooth and non fatiguing, without being too laid back in their presentation these are very very good. These really probably deserve to be higher on the list, but my preference is lively treble and these are smoooooooooooooth.

WESTONE W60- really great frequency response, a bit warm, and a bit more laid back in their presentation. IEM's like these and the layla are great to crank loud.

JH AUDIO ROXANNE PERFORMANCE SERIES- the roxannes are such a unique sound, but like the laylas they dip a bit too much in the uipper mids, and have a bit too much upper bass and lower treble to where they intrude on my preference for lively treble. these are improved over the original though, with more air and less treble spike than the originals which were quite spikey in the treble.

WESTONE W80- really similar to the jh13v2, but more laid back and less forward. The jh13v2 is more direct on the leading edges and more aggressive in the attack. These are probably a bit more warm, but have less bass than the w60

JH AUDIO JH13FP- similar to the w40 but more forward and a little less mid bass

JH AUDIO ROXANNE- great soundstage, powerful and BIG sound, but had some terrible treble spikes I really didn't like combined with the somewhat recessed upper mids.

such a hard thing to rank these, again they are all great and preference plays into things more than anything. Standouts to me are tia fourte, jh16v2, ie800, and the isines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back