Rank the IEM's you've heard
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #4,816 of 5,131
You'll be in for a treat soon. They had a prototype at CanJam NYC that stole the show for me. Hopefully it will materialize over the summer sometime. Surprised not to see the EXT in your list.
I hope so. Ive been following the CanJam threads with interest, The Ext probably needs a 2nd visit from me. I didn't gel with it at first. Most of my listening was out of the Sony TA-ZH1ES until the very last days of the tour when I tried it out of my Cayin N6ii R01. Straightaway it sounded way better to my ears. So much so that I asked if I could have a couple more days with it but sadly it had to be moved on the very next day.

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #4,817 of 5,131
My current order is:

[1] - Sound Rhyme SR8
[2] - Sound Rhyme DTE500
[3] - 64 Audio U4s
[4] - Technics TZ700

Want to hear:

Aür Audio - Neon Pro
Alambic Ears (any of them, Mentawai probably)
JUZEAR 41t

Apr 29, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #4,818 of 5,131
The question is if we are ranking iems according to their objective qualities or our personal favorites:)
Sometimes what's the best isn't necessarily what we would pick as our daily driver.
I can see many people put the EXT high up on their lists and i can agree, they are very enjoyable and good but definitely not a TOTL in technicalities. Even the Moondrop S8 crushes them in resolution and separation.
But I would pick the EXT every time over the S8 for pure music enjoyment.
I myself spend 100% listening time with the u4s last weeks, even tho they are inferior in detail retrieval and separation to the Monarch Mk2. The Monarchs rest in peace in a box .

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #4,819 of 5,131
The question is if we are ranking iems according to their objective qualities or our personal favorites

I don't think there need be a distinction between the two. I don't care how "technical" an IEM is if it is not enjoyable to listen to then it's not a success. Subjectivity overwhelmingly trumps objectivity in this hobby imho

My current top 10, in picture form:

685BFE3B-EA6D-4EF2-9A8B-9168DC5E13DF.jpeg

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #4,821 of 5,131
I don't think there need be a distinction between the two. I don't care how "technical" an IEM is if it is not enjoyable to listen to then it's not a success. Subjectivity overwhelmingly trumps objectivity in this hobby imho

My current top 10, in picture form:

An amazing collection 😍😍😍

Apr 29, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #4,822 of 5,131
New updated April 2023 version - Last updated July 2021

My experience is fairly limited with IEM's although I am gaining more experience as time goes by.

My Top 10 is based on IEM's that I own or have owned, obviously I am unable to comment on something I have not heard.

Disclaimer. I can sometimes struggle with fit in my right ear. Everything I have ever tried fits my left ear.
Damn why was I born with a defective right ear canal?

1) VE Phoenix (Bonus, another one from VE that fits like a glove for me) Purchased this after hearing it on the UK tour. Dethroned my Erl LE after A/B for several days. IMHO a similar sounding, slightly more practical version of the Erl LE on number 2 setting (my favourite setting) The bonus was that it was even comfier due to the reduction in weight. This was my bowing out of the hobby purchase. My one TOTL all rounder if you like.

2) VE Erl LE (Bonus, yep you guessed it. Fits like a glove for me) This was meant to be my end game and in many ways it was. Absolutely loved how it sounded. Absolutely stunning look at. beautiful! It also had the presentation box and accessories to match. Simply the best box opening experience I have ever had.(take note Oriolus!)The full package you might say. Unfortunately this was also part of the issue for me. Bear with me here while I try to explain myself here. I was always really anxious using it. Afraid to drop it, dent it or mark it up. I'd seen other examples advertised in the classifieds with dents resulting from dropping. In my mind severely impacting it's potential resale value. After all these things aint cheap! The supplied cable did have a tendency to work itself loose from time to time. Hence my anxiety. This would have been my Ducati 916 displayed on the wall had I unlimited resources.

3) Oriolus Trailii JP (My latest additional) purchased purely because Ive always been curious about this IEM given its high praise by the community. Im spending more time these days tinkering with my 2 channel set up but wanted to try it before temporarily leaving the hobby. I will say it now this could easily be at the very top of my list. Numero uno, albeit for one potential dealbreaker. The only thing stopping it, is it is slightly problematic on the fit side for me. Damn my right ear canal, because when everything is in place and sealed its absolutely sublime sounding to me. I know this issue will eventually start to detract from my enjoyment of the Bird so hence the relegation to 3rd place.

4) VE8 Anniversary edition (Bonus, the best fitting IEM I have ever experienced to date) fits first time, every time. Plug n play, no adjustments needed for phenomenal sound. Awesome! Kind of my Goldilocks IEM atm.

5) Sony IER Z1R (Probably the worst fitting IEM I have ever experienced) If they ever did a mark 11 in a smaller form factor I would be all over this in a heart beat! Still can't deny the great SQ. Bass and treble especially good IMHO

6) Audeze LCDi4 (not sure if this qualifies as an IEM. Loved the sound with EQ, hated the ear hooks. Kept on breaking and costly to replace. Replaced with LCD 4Z

7) 64 Audio Nio (M20 was my module of choice) Played awesome with my library. Good all rounder with nice hybrid tuning. Probably had the worst stock cable I have ever encountered. Sounded noticeably better with the Eletech Socrates 4.4 cable. Tips often left in my ear with this IEM for some reason.

8) 64 Audio U12T (M20 was my module of choice) Superbly balanced tuning. Didn't really do anything wrong but also didn't give me many real wow moments. I appreciated it's tuning but ultimately it was a bit on the safe side for me.

9) Oriolus Isabellae. Just edged out of a top 5 spot for me which given it's price is quite an achievement. With it's easy listening, natural, coherent tuning I can see this appealing to a broad spectrum of listeners.

10) Mest Mk11 (Sounded amazing sometimes. Was it the Bone conduction driver?)Too tip/fit depending for sound for me to keep long term. Would have placed higher if more consistent. When it was good it was really good!

11) Empire Ears Phantom (A little bit big for my ears struggled with obtaining a proper seal and would often leave tips in my right ear) first hour or so of listening was great until the seal was broken.

11) ISN H40 Mesh Mod (My price to performance King) nothing to dislike here if you enjoy a Bassy, full, musical sounding IEM with decent details and a fatigue free listening experience. It does remind me of the Sony IER Z1R at times. Fits great too!

Now dropped outside the Top10

11) JH Audio Layla AION (I Would love to hear this with a balanced cable upgrade) Im considering this option right now but its a very costly upgrade for sure and I might be better off putting the funds to my future end game purchase instead.Edit Now sold. Decided the cable would be too risky/costly investment.

12) Kinera Nanna (Really enjoyed the sound of this IEM but I did struggle with fit so it had to go)

13) KBEAR Believe (Another price to performance contender) needs a lot of power to shine but rewards you when provide it.

IEM's that didn't make the Top 10 (Regrets, Ive had a few, but then again, too few to mention)

Orivetti OH500
Westone W80
Mangird Tea

Things I would like to try if opportunity presents itself somehow.

Any new VE flagship release. I love their house sound
Phoenix LE
Fir Audio Radon
Fir Audio XE6
Jewel
Dita perpetua
I would suggest eventually getting one custom IEM since you have so much trouble with your right ear canal. Wait for the one that really hits you and then get it in custom form. I would recommend waiting to hear Raven and any other new releases from this year and even next first unless you come up with extra funds.

VE makes excellent customs by the way. And they will be coming out with a new IEM (prototypes were at CanJam). Might be up your alley.

Apr 30, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #4,823 of 5,131
New updated April 2023 version - Last updated July 2021

My experience is fairly limited with IEM's although I am gaining more experience as time goes by.

My Top 10 is based on IEM's that I own or have owned, obviously I am unable to comment on something I have not heard.

Disclaimer. I can sometimes struggle with fit in my right ear. Everything I have ever tried fits my left ear.
Damn why was I born with a defective right ear canal?

1) VE Phoenix (Bonus, another one from VE that fits like a glove for me) Purchased this after hearing it on the UK tour. Dethroned my Erl LE after A/B for several days. IMHO a similar sounding, slightly more practical version of the Erl LE on number 2 setting (my favourite setting) The bonus was that it was even comfier due to the reduction in weight. This was my bowing out of the hobby purchase. My one TOTL all rounder if you like.

2) VE Erl LE (Bonus, yep you guessed it. Fits like a glove for me) This was meant to be my end game and in many ways it was. Absolutely loved how it sounded. Absolutely stunning look at. beautiful! It also had the presentation box and accessories to match. Simply the best box opening experience I have ever had.(take note Oriolus!)The full package you might say. Unfortunately this was also part of the issue for me. Bear with me here while I try to explain myself here. I was always really anxious using it. Afraid to drop it, dent it or mark it up. I'd seen other examples advertised in the classifieds with dents resulting from dropping. In my mind severely impacting it's potential resale value. After all these things aint cheap! The supplied cable did have a tendency to work itself loose from time to time. Hence my anxiety. This would have been my Ducati 916 displayed on the wall had I unlimited resources.

3) Oriolus Trailii JP (My latest additional) purchased purely because Ive always been curious about this IEM given its high praise by the community. Im spending more time these days tinkering with my 2 channel set up but wanted to try it before temporarily leaving the hobby. I will say it now this could easily be at the very top of my list. Numero uno, albeit for one potential dealbreaker. The only thing stopping it, is it is slightly problematic on the fit side for me. Damn my right ear canal, because when everything is in place and sealed its absolutely sublime sounding to me. I know this issue will eventually start to detract from my enjoyment of the Bird so hence the relegation to 3rd place.

4) VE8 Anniversary edition (Bonus, the best fitting IEM I have ever experienced to date) fits first time, every time. Plug n play, no adjustments needed for phenomenal sound. Awesome! Kind of my Goldilocks IEM atm.

5) Sony IER Z1R (Probably the worst fitting IEM I have ever experienced) If they ever did a mark 11 in a smaller form factor I would be all over this in a heart beat! Still can't deny the great SQ. Bass and treble especially good IMHO

6) Audeze LCDi4 (not sure if this qualifies as an IEM. Loved the sound with EQ, hated the ear hooks. Kept on breaking and costly to replace. Replaced with LCD 4Z

7) 64 Audio Nio (M20 was my module of choice) Played awesome with my library. Good all rounder with nice hybrid tuning. Probably had the worst stock cable I have ever encountered. Sounded noticeably better with the Eletech Socrates 4.4 cable. Tips often left in my ear with this IEM for some reason.

8) 64 Audio U12T (M20 was my module of choice) Superbly balanced tuning. Didn't really do anything wrong but also didn't give me many real wow moments. I appreciated it's tuning but ultimately it was a bit on the safe side for me.

9) Oriolus Isabellae. Just edged out of a top 5 spot for me which given it's price is quite an achievement. With it's easy listening, natural, coherent tuning I can see this appealing to a broad spectrum of listeners.

10) Mest Mk11 (Sounded amazing sometimes. Was it the Bone conduction driver?)Too tip/fit depending for sound for me to keep long term. Would have placed higher if more consistent. When it was good it was really good!

11) Empire Ears Phantom (A little bit big for my ears struggled with obtaining a proper seal and would often leave tips in my right ear) first hour or so of listening was great until the seal was broken.

11) ISN H40 Mesh Mod (My price to performance King) nothing to dislike here if you enjoy a Bassy, full, musical sounding IEM with decent details and a fatigue free listening experience. It does remind me of the Sony IER Z1R at times. Fits great too!

Now dropped outside the Top10

11) JH Audio Layla AION (I Would love to hear this with a balanced cable upgrade) Im considering this option right now but its a very costly upgrade for sure and I might be better off putting the funds to my future end game purchase instead.Edit Now sold. Decided the cable would be too risky/costly investment.

12) Kinera Nanna (Really enjoyed the sound of this IEM but I did struggle with fit so it had to go)

13) KBEAR Believe (Another price to performance contender) needs a lot of power to shine but rewards you when provide it.

IEM's that didn't make the Top 10 (Regrets, Ive had a few, but then again, too few to mention)

Orivetti OH500
Westone W80
Mangird Tea

Things I would like to try if opportunity presents itself somehow.

Any new VE flagship release. I love their house sound
Phoenix LE
Fir Audio Radon
Fir Audio XE6
Jewel
Dita perpetua
How would you describe the biggest sound difference between the Erlk and Phönix? And what makes you like the Phönix more, just curious? :)

Apr 30, 2023 at 4:48 AM Post #4,824 of 5,131
How would you describe the biggest sound difference between the Erlk and Phönix? And what makes you like the Phönix more, just curious? :)
I wouldn’t. When talking about the Erl & Phoenix I don’t think there is “a biggest” sound difference. For me they are very much an apple from the same tree. In terms of the finer differences? The first thing I noticed was more overall clarity and extension up top. This was more obvious on songs like the live version of Hotel California. By comparison the audience cheers, whistles, the instruments, we all simply more in focus.
Personally I would class the Erl as an Hall of Famer. I love how it sounds but I also love how the Phoenix sounds. My reasons for choosing the Phoenix over the Erl were less about the sound but more about my user experience and my personal use case scenario. Eg I wouldn’t dare take the Erl out of my house listening room, whereas I would happily take the Phoenix to a week in the Lake District. I hope this goes some way towards answering your question 😊

Apr 30, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #4,825 of 5,131
I wouldn’t. When talking about the Erl & Phoenix I don’t think there is “a biggest” sound difference. For me they are very much an apple from the same tree. In terms of the finer differences? The first thing I noticed was more overall clarity and extension up top. This was more obvious on songs like the live version of Hotel California. By comparison the audience cheers, whistles, the instruments, we all simply more in focus.
Personally I would class the Erl as an Hall of Famer. I love how it sounds but I also love how the Phoenix sounds. My reasons for choosing the Phoenix over the Erl were less about the sound but more about my user experience and my personal use case scenario. Eg I wouldn’t dare take the Erl out of my house listening room, whereas I would happily take the Phoenix to a week in the Lake District. I hope this goes some way towards answering your question 😊
Thank you for sharing your answer! They're both of the same mold, with biggest difference in switch and new tweeter. It's subtle and interesting :)

Apr 30, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #4,826 of 5,131
Current 5 IEMs used most the last weeks, as always changes up from week to week. I will try and make a top 10 what I have heard later instead.

1 AüR Audio Aure - Penon Mix cable
2 ISN EST50 - Penon Vocal
3 AüR Audio Neon Pro - XINHS 4core 26 awg copper
4 Penon Serial - Whitecrane
5 VE SiE - Penon OS133

DSCF2366

DSCF2454

DSCF2384

DSCF2246

DSCF2425

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #4,827 of 5,131
1. Shure kse1200
2. Audeze lcd i4
Big gap
3. Sony ier z1r
4. U12t
5. Final a8000
6. Ve elysium
7. Fiio fdx
8. Sony ex1000
9. Um MEST indigo

Apr 30, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #4,829 of 5,131
Ranked from best to still very good:

Custom Art Fibae5
Thieaudio V16
Thieaudio Oracle MKII
Dunu SA6 MkII
Kinera Urd (Sound staging is pretty incredible on these, with how wide it sounds)
MiM Dark Magician v2 (Not sure how to rank these - I did enjoy them alot and they sound quite different to the rest)
Moondrop Variations
Moondrop B2 Dusk
Symphonium Meteor (Looking back I'm not sure I had the best seal on these when trying them out considering how other people tend to rave about these)
Timeless AE (Pretty amazing bass for the price)

Though I did like almost all of them when trying them out, also good to note that most of these I only tried for about 15 minutes and I'm not the most experienced listener :joy:

May 1, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #4,830 of 5,131
The question is if we are ranking iems according to their objective qualities or our personal favorites:)
Sometimes what's the best isn't necessarily what we would pick as our daily driver.
I can see many people put the EXT high up on their lists and i can agree, they are very enjoyable and good but definitely not a TOTL in technicalities. Even the Moondrop S8 crushes them in resolution and separation.
But I would pick the EXT every time over the S8 for pure music enjoyment.
I myself spend 100% listening time with the u4s last weeks, even tho they are inferior in detail retrieval and separation to the Monarch Mk2. The Monarchs rest in peace in a box .
It's almost impossible, IMO, to rank IEM's according to OBJECTIVE qualities, because nearly everything about IEM's is subjective to each individual: fit, desired tuning, cable quality, etc.

95% of us could agree on really BAD IEM's that cost under $20-50, but when you start getting above $3-500, you start getting into mostly subjective preferences. For example, I really wanted to like the Kinera Norn, but it is a fairly chunk size, so fit was an issue for me. Same for the Moondrop Variations, which is an extremely refined IEM, but the treble was just too smooth for my tastes. The Campfire Dorado is the best for me right now after trying all the others in my list for some time (bought them here used), but I can't really afford to try anything above the $1K price range, so I don't know what I might be missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back