Rank the IEM's you've heard
Aug 16, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #4,096 of 5,130
just curious, what kind of cable (copper,silver :thinking: ) are you suggest in combination with the VX ?
I would say copper. I was wowed by the Orpheus with it. I have not tried PW 1950’s with it yet. That should also work. You want a cable that allows the bass to flow and ever so slightly tame the highs. As the VX is very detailed already, smoothing the highs a bit should not be an issue.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #4,097 of 5,130
Hey guys, I wanted to ask for an opinion since I see a lot of people have experience listening to Campfire Andromeda and many other IEMs below or under its price range.

So I recently decided to buy the Andromeda 2020 (my first 1k iem), read a lot of reviews online and it seemed like it would be the best fit for me. My initial impressions of the Andromeda are that they are extremely musical with beautiful tuning and soundstage. I love experiencing music with them but unfortunately there is one caveat - Sibilance. They tend to get sibilant every 5th track I play and I’m very sensitive to it, almost ruins my listening experience once the sibilance hits. Do you have any other recommendations within the Andromeda price range where I could find something similar to it but without the sibilance.

Thank you for your time!

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #4,098 of 5,130
Hey guys, I wanted to ask for an opinion since I see a lot of people have experience listening to Campfire Andromeda and many other IEMs below or under its price range.

So I recently decided to buy the Andromeda 2020 (my first 1k iem), read a lot of reviews online and it seemed like it would be the best fit for me. My initial impressions of the Andromeda are that they are extremely musical with beautiful tuning and soundstage. I love experiencing music with them but unfortunately there is one caveat - Sibilance. They tend to get sibilant every 5th track I play and I’m very sensitive to it, almost ruins my listening experience once the sibilance hits. Do you have any other recommendations within the Andromeda price range where I could find something similar to it but without the sibilance.

Thank you for your time!

How long have you had them? I have a first series Andromeda and it started out pretty bright. But it calmed down over the first few hours.

You may want to do some tip rolling. What tips are you using now? Tips can have a noticeable impact on the sound.

Aug 24, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #4,099 of 5,130

Thank you for your time!

Congrats on your Andro. I found Andro 2020 to be the cheapest option to get truely TOTL resolution and imaging after auditioning the entire local store (mostly stock 64 Audio, Campfire, Final, and Fiio). If you want something else, I recommend U6t if you are not willing to go to U12t. They are no where near the same in resolution, but the overall spirit is there. Or you can go opposite direction in price and grab Final E5000. If that IEM is sibilant to you, I’m out of idea :dt880smile:

Andro can be sibilant on some tracks if your seal is not good. I found Andro works the best with foam tips (mine comes with foams out of the box). With foams, I never have sibilance nor the vacuum seal feeling in my ear drums. Perhaps try some foams first?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #4,100 of 5,130

Thank you for your time!

My only and perfect recommendation : FiiO FH9.

Killer product. Awesomely good. ✌️👉👍

PS : I know very well the Andro 's which were mine for a long time 😉

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #4,101 of 5,130
How long have you had them? I have a first series Andromeda and it started out pretty bright. But it calmed down over the first few hours.

You may want to do some tip rolling. What tips are you using now? Tips can have a noticeable impact on the sound.
I’ve had them for a week now. I first listened to them with the medium foam tips they came with and I was left a little bit disappointed. The vocals didn’t sound right to me, a little bit hollow and the bass response seemed whatever. When I switched to the silicone tips I fell in love with them, everything was more clear, could pick up every little detail and the bass had enough of a punch to satisfy my listening experience. I used to own the AudioFly 180mkII and they are waaay more sibilant compared to the Andro, it’s just that the Andro picks up the sibilance occasionally and it drives me crazy. Maybe I’m being paranoid about it since I dropped a little over 1k for them and I want to purchase a pair of IEM’s that will make me happy for more than 6 months.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #4,102 of 5,130
My only and perfect recommendation : FiiO FH9.

Killer product. Awesomely good. ✌️👉👍

PS : I know very well the Andro 's which were mine for a long time 😉
That is very interesting. Initially I wanted to buy the FH9 since it came out recently, and the specifications on paper looked great especially for its price range. How would you compare them to the Andromeda? (I might purchase one off of Amazon before Campfire’s 14day return policy) so I can compare them quickly and keep one at the end.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #4,103 of 5,130
Symbio tips are a very good match with Andro's.

They were my first choice at the time. 😉

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #4,104 of 5,130
That is very interesting. Initially I wanted to buy the FH9 since it came out recently, and the specifications on paper looked great especially for its price range. How would you compare them to the Andromeda? (I might purchase one off of Amazon before Campfire’s 14day return policy) so I can compare them quickly and keep one at the end.

This is simple. They are became my personal reference. Every price, every technology....

And I know very well the TOTL realm...

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #4,105 of 5,130
1. 64 Audio Tia Trio* (+bass, -mids)
2. Elysian Annihilator (+upper mids&treble, -bass)
3. Elysian Diva
4. IER Z1R (+bass texture when fit is right)

boring but good:
5. 64 Audio U12T*
6. Thieaudio Monarch MK2
7. IER M9

others stuff:
Moondrop Variations
UM Mest MK2*
UM Mext
QDC Anole VX*

budget gem: Thieaudio Elixir

* = short session

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #4,106 of 5,130

Thank you for your time!
Maybe the fit is changing in your ears? You could try different tips. See if the Azkaban short lights work for example. There are many others.

Alternatively, if you can get one, try a Dunu Luna. That will not be sibilant and should be comfortable as it is very light. Maybe there is a used one for sale for you to audition.

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #4,108 of 5,130
I’ve had them for a week now. I first listened to them with the medium foam tips they came with and I was left a little bit disappointed. The vocals didn’t sound right to me, a little bit hollow and the bass response seemed whatever. When I switched to the silicone tips I fell in love with them, everything was more clear, could pick up every little detail and the bass had enough of a punch to satisfy my listening experience. I used to own the AudioFly 180mkII and they are waaay more sibilant compared to the Andro, it’s just that the Andro picks up the sibilance occasionally and it drives me crazy. Maybe I’m being paranoid about it since I dropped a little over 1k for them and I want to purchase a pair of IEM’s that will make me happy for more than 6 months.

Obscure, but... AAW x TCA Project 4+2. I keep singing these things' praises, but so far nobody's been willing to take me up on the recommendation. Or, if you're willing to buy used there's a pair of AAW Halcyons in the classifieds right now I'd be jumping on if I had the cash.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #4,109 of 5,130
Thank you all for your input! I have decided to return the Andromeda 2020. Within a week of listening I noticed 3 things that are a deal breaker for me. First would be the sibilance which shows on certain tracks, regardless of the ear tips. The foam ones are less sibilant but the bass disappears. Second the bass is not very good. For analytical tracks, and live performances I adore them, but for Pop, EDM, or tracks that have a bit more punch, the bass sounds very dry, especially knowing that the Andromeda lacks a lot in the sub-bass department. I realized that just a mid-bass punch is not enough at least to my preferences. In fact I would rather prefer a good sub-bass rather than a punchy mid. And last (though I would have lived with it if everything else was on par with my expectations) is the comfort. After an hour of listening my ears already feel sore.
They definitely shine in the treble and soundstage department (Amazing!!!), but maybe I had a little bit more expectations after reading tons of positive reviews and of course considering their price point.
I have made a list of the IEMs that have been recommended to me on here and bought a ticket for the CanJam 2022 in California since I live in LA, so I figured the best way to find a good match is to actually go and test multiple IEMs in person. Will update you soon!! (hopefully I don't end up leaving my wallet there :fearful:)

Aug 27, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #4,110 of 5,130
Good description. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back