Rank the IEM's you've heard
Apr 20, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #3,991 of 5,132
It depends. The fit issues are definitely prevalent enough that you'll want to try before buying. I couldn't get the fit right until I found the right tips.
In that case, maybe I'll wait - I have no way to try before buying here in Texas.

Also curious about Isa - saw you reviewed them quite favorably - do you still feel the same way these days?

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #3,992 of 5,132
In that case, maybe I'll wait - I have no way to try before buying here in Texas.

Also curious about Isa - saw you reviewed them quite favorably - do you still feel the same way these days?
You can buy the Z1R's on Amazon...and they have free returns...so you kind of do have a way to try with little or no risk.

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #3,994 of 5,132
For the four IEMs I have tried:
(1) Sony Z1R
(2) 64 Tia Forte
(3) Campfire andromeda
(4) Sony m9

Right now I am running combo of Lotoo GPT Ti with Z1R and am really enjoying it. The last combo I used for a long time is SPK plus Tia Forte.
For only trying a limited amount of iems you certainly went big! :)

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #3,995 of 5,132
For only trying a limited amount of iems you certainly went big! :)
Lol my initial thought is to get an high-end portable music player and try different iems to find the perfect match for myself. It take me 4 hours to drive to New York for auditions so I am reading a lot of reviews online to help me make a list of limited iems I might be interested in.

Apr 28, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #3,996 of 5,132
Lol my initial thought is to get an high-end portable music player and try different iems to find the perfect match for myself.
With the LPGT Ti you also have an almost unlimited amount of options to tweak the (low/mid/high) frequencies, for your IEMs when needed. These Lotoo DAPs (I have the basic edition, not the Ti) just have amazing PMEQ imho. I rarely use 'Off' myself. Happy listening! :)

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #3,997 of 5,132
With the LPGT Ti you also have an almost unlimited amount of options to tweak the (low/mid/high) frequencies, for your IEMs when needed. These Lotoo DAPs (I have the basic edition, not the Ti) just have amazing PMEQ imho. I rarely use 'Off' myself. Happy listening! :)
Yeah that's true! Lotoo does an excellent job to offer us a bunch of mature EQs! The super balanced sound from "off" setting is also phenomenal! Haven't got back to my "warmer" Shanling M8 for quit a long time. Happy listening with your PGT! :)

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #3,998 of 5,132
Here's my ranking in terms of personal enjoyment. Technicalities and tonality are great things to measure for, and can be relatively objective ways to get a sense for what IEMs might be good for a given person without having to demo them. But in the grand scheme of things and within my own experience, all that goes out the window if I don't find myself grabbing them over other choices.

I listen to a very wide range of music genres (folk, indie, EDM, jazz, blues, punk, classic rock, classical, trip hop, pop, kpop, ballads, country... basically everything) so IEMs that lean heavily into one certain aspect can sometimes not make too much sense for me. I also only tend to have 1-2 sets at any given time so versatility and comfort is something that I care about a lot.

SSS: U12T
SS: IER-M9
S: SA6, Oracle, S8
S-: Blessing 2, Variations
A: Yume:Midnight, Etymotic ER4XR, S12, UE TF10
A-: Olina (with dual filter mod), Aria, Blessing 2 Dusk
B: Starfield, Kato
B-: Sony MH755/MH750, AKG/Samsung Freebie, Tanchjim Tanya, CRA CCA
C: T3 Plus, Blon BL03

IEMs to the left rank higher.

Updated with S8 and Blessing 2

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #3,999 of 5,132
The points about the Sony Z1R which needs to be considered before any purchase:
1- it is "V" shaped, so not an "all arounder".
2- It's transparency level has since been eclipsed by quite a few of the top tier IEMs.
Just pointing out aspects that should be considered, to keep things in perspective.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #4,000 of 5,132
Didn't really listen to much IEMs, really only looked at one TOTL/High-end iem and definitely want to explore some more

IER-Z1R >> S8 > B2:D > B2 > Aria

Really loved the Z1R, fit was fine with me, was able to go in deep but the issue was the cable was rubbing against the ear.

Definitely want to try the Mest, U12t, IER-M9, Variations, Monarch MKII but that would be in the far future

Apr 30, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #4,001 of 5,132
:ksc75smile: Special Fan Request

In a separate list, please rank the single-driver DD IEM's you've heard.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #4,002 of 5,132
2- It's transparency level has since been eclipsed by quite a few of the top tier IEMs.
Just pointing out aspects that should be considered, to keep things in perspective.
*in your opinion. 😉

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #4,003 of 5,132

Agreed.

Also the fit may be an issue. Quite a few members (including myself) have fit problems with the Z1R, so best to audition a set before purchase, as fit can make or break an IEM. No point having a very heavenly sound if one has to keep adjusting it or get discomfort after a few minutes.

Apr 30, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #4,005 of 5,132
I think it’s pretty widely accepted that Z1R is v-shaped and that it’s not as detailed as other flagship sets, but the point that it’s not an all-rounder is more subjective, in my opinion of course 😄
I don't hear the Z1R as v-shaped, but that's more due to my hearing profile and sensitivities. I agree it's not as uber detailed as the summit-fi BA/EST flagships, but that's not necessarily a negative either. It also costs 2-3x less, so there's that.

The one thing that is certain is that the fit is hit and miss for many, which I think is mostly what sullies the Z1Rs reputation. I feel sorry for all those poor sods who can't fit them, I really do! 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back