Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Dec 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #2,536 of 8,131
Quote:
I'm quite curious about the Westone um3x...how do they stack up against the TF 10's and 700's?

Unfortunately I have not heard the TF 10's or UE 700's.  The Westones are the only IEMs I have heard in that price bracket as I got them for a price I couldn't pass up even without an audition.

You may have some luck asking your question here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Cheers!

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #2,537 of 8,131
+1. Or if you want to talk about other polarizing options, the Sony SA5000 or an Ultrasone (especially with Ti drivers). :)
Recent top 3 FWIW:
- Grado RS-1i
- Sony MDR-F1
- Bose QC15-LE

Bose? Have you listened to the qc15's? They suck. Basically upperclass beats.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #2,538 of 8,131
Quote:
Surprised by your high rating of the UE 700, especially since it's actually quite cheap(for head-fi). Might go pick one up if I see it in the new year sales, or maybe the UE 900...hmm.

My top 5 would probably go like this:
1. Denon AH-D2000 with MarkL mod
2. Audio Technica ATH-A900X
3. Personally modded T50RPs(needs a bit more detail)
4. Shure SRH840
5. KRK KNS 8400

None of my IEMs really give me the same level of satisfaction as my headphones, but I don't have any flagship or near flagship IEMs yet. 

the 700's rate quite high in head-fi reviews and on other audiophile sites. they are going for cheap now, since Logitech seems to be phasing out most of it's UE line, minus the 900. I think they might be gearing up to go towards more consumer grade/cheaper headphones like skullcandy, sony, philips, ect? The 700's provide crystal clear detail, substantial bass for a BA, and a warm fun sound signature. Are they perfect? no. Are they right up there with some of the other dual BA driver IEM's? yes they are. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #2,539 of 8,131
1. Sennheiser HD558
2. B&W C5
3. Grado SR60i
4. Sol Republic Tracks Ultra
5. Sennheiser HD280Pro
6. Koss KSC75
7. Bose OE TriPorts
8. Apple EarPods

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2,540 of 8,131
the 700's rate quite high in head-fi reviews and on other audiophile sites. they are going for cheap now, since Logitech seems to be phasing out most of it's UE line, minus the 900. I think they might be gearing up to go towards more consumer grade/cheaper headphones like skullcandy, sony, philips, ect? The 700's provide crystal clear detail, substantial bass for a BA, and a warm fun sound signature. Are they perfect? no. Are they right up there with some of the other dual BA driver IEM's? yes they are. 

And yet ironically those brands (okay may not Sony anymore) are gearing to move in the exact opposite direction - funny how that works.

1. Sennheiser HD558
2. B&W C5
3. Grado SR60i
4. Sol Republic Tracks Ultra
5. Sennheiser HD280Pro
6. Koss KSC75
7. Bose OE TriPorts
8. Apple EarPods

What's a C5? I know of "P5" but have never heard of "C5" :xf_eek:

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #2,541 of 8,131
Quote:
And yet ironically those brands (okay may not Sony anymore) are gearing to move in the exact opposite direction - funny how that works.
What's a C5? I know of "P5" but have never heard of "C5"
redface.gif

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/C5/overview.html

My top 5 in order:
Fostex T50RP modded (Needs a little more midrange)
ACS T15
Sennheiser PXC450 (Needs a more fleshed out sound, but for an NC headphone, they're pretty darn good)
Monster Turbine Gold
AKG K181DJ

Bottom 5:
MEElectronics M9 (But for $10, they're not that bad)
Beyerdynamic T50P (For $200, they're hilariously bad)
DUNU Crater
Realistic Pro 50 (Too much treble for me now)
Philips The Stretch

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #2,543 of 8,131
Quote:
Oh...in-ears.
confused_face.gif

Ish - have you tried the T70?
tongue.gif

I haven't. I almost bought them a while ago though. Are they worse?

I thought people were overstating the disjointed sound of the T50P, but...there's a gap between the mids and the treble that a boat could pass through with ease. They have more bass than I thought they would have though. I kinda like the T50's treble though. If the T70 has some sort of coherency, I'd be up to try it, but their freq graph looks scary.

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2,544 of 8,131
I haven't. I almost bought them a while ago though. Are they worse?

I thought people were overstating the disjointed sound of the T50P, but...there's a gap between the mids and the treble that a boat could pass through with ease. They have more bass than I thought they would have though. I kinda like the T50's treble though. If the T70 has some sort of coherency, I'd be up to try it, but their freq graph looks scary.

Haven't heard T50 - was hoping you could answer if the T70 are better or worse actually haha! The T70 are hilariously awful for $669, and even for ~$375 (which they've hit a few times recently) they're uh...yeah. Basically all treble, papery mids, and that's it. :xf_eek:

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #2,545 of 8,131
Quote:
Haven't heard T50 - was hoping you could answer if the T70 are better or worse actually haha! The T70 are hilariously awful for $669, and even for ~$375 (which they've hit a few times recently) they're uh...yeah. Basically all treble, papery mids, and that's it.
redface.gif

That sounds like the T50, minus the bass. There's more bass than the K181 (small club mode of course). The mids are tragic. I'm thinking about trading them, but I don't want to subject someone else to using them. I'll try modding them over the weekend.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #2,546 of 8,131
That sounds like the T50, minus the bass. There's more bass than the K181 (small club mode of course). The mids are tragic. I'm thinking about trading them, but I don't want to subject someone else to using them. I'll try modding them over the weekend.

The T70 are comfortable and isolate "ish" (the QC15 beat them up here (which isn't a surprise), but they're better than something like the M50 by a little bit) - but yeah, extremely top heavy. And it isn't like the SA5000 or SR-325 that are topheavy but still have mids and bass, they're just top heavy and dry as a desert. Very papery sounding. I haven't heard the T5p, but the Tesla drivers really don't inspire much confidence based on the T70 (which were/are not exactly cheap - I mean $700, come on...). If they had decent mids they'd be fantastic (assuming you aren't into a lot of bass - I mean I can honestly forgive them having equal (or less) bass impact than the MDR-F1; that's just my personal preference though); but that's just not in the cards I guess. :xf_eek:

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #2,547 of 8,131
I haven't kept an of my cans, as I've sold or given away all the ones I've owned. 

as for my IEM's, I'll have to say with my amp on bass boost, my HiFiMan RE-ZERO's are simply AMAZING, with beautiful warm sound signature and very detailed, and unbeatable in concert with my amp + cowon s9 or my Fuze. When it comes to playing my SONY mp3 player or my Sansa Clip zip, I prefer my UE 700's. Don't need the bass boost to get great bass depth from the 700's with these players. 

If i ignored the fit and comfort issues, then my UE TF 10's would kick both these IEM's ass easily. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #2,550 of 8,131
An update to my list.

1.) Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm: Very fun and clear sounding headphone. Really detailed with great range. It has a prominent, controlled, and crisp bass, nice midrange that is just a tad distant, and sparkly highs. Sounds great on all genre's. They hate poorly recorded and mastered audio with higher pitched vocals, a very easy EQ tames the fussiness with poorly mastered songs, just tone down the 10kHz spike. Improves greatly on amps and loves tubes. Extremely comfy and don't bother me in long sessions.

2.) AKG K240 MKII: A very close second. Quite similar to the DT 990. It's basically a softer and prettier sounding DT 990 with mids presented in a more upfront manner but it's also less detailed and not quite as clear and crisp sounding and has a smaller soundstage. It shares the same general frequency response(including the 10kHz spike) as the DT 990 so it's also not very fond of poorly recorded and mastered audio with higher pitched vocals, the same EQ as the DT 990 will tame their highs on those songs. They also improve greatly amped and love tubes. Also very comfy, pads need some breaking in but I can see them becoming super comfy.

3.) AKG K514 MKII: This is by far the brightest headphone I've ever heard but somehow manages to sound right and natural on a lot of things, a little too bass-lean as well. Surprisingly detailed. Imaging and soundstage are okay. If this headphone wasn't so bright, I would of loved it, but the brightness prevents me from truly liking this headphone. These are the most comfortable headphones I own, may not be the most comfortable at first but they simply disappear after you have them on for a while and they weigh less than all my other headphones. Barely improve at all with amplification.

4.) BRAINWAVZ HM5: I just don't like the signature of this headphone much at all. The sound is fine until you get to the treble, the treble just dips down and the sound has no life, air, or sparkle to it. It's also not very detailed and the tonality sounds unnatural. Soundstage and imaging are okay. Most uncomfortable headphones I currently own. Excessive clamp that never goes away no matter what you try. Pads get hot after a while. Don't improve much with amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back