Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Feb 23, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #7,171 of 8,115
Focal Clears:
The original reason why I joined this forum! Excellent sound, my only issues with them have nothing to do with music, which is why they definitely top the list. The gorgeous grey has caused me no bit of stress as I love to try and keep my gear as close to mint as possible, and due to the spring loaded cups (and the size of my head) they're not as comfy as I would want. Getting that itch to sell/trade them and try something else, but I'm self aware enough to think that I probably just want to play with a new toy (Arya, HD800S, Z1R...). They do everything I would want a headphone to do and I'd probably just re-buy them down the line if I got rid of them :dt880smile:. We'll see what the future holds.

Grado Hemp:
Enough of the fun Grado sound, but more balanced than a lot of their other offerings. Very impressed by them; bought them despite the weed gimmick because of the firm recommendations on this forum and found an amazing pair of headphones. Highly recommend to anyone thinking about stepping into Grados.

K712 Pro:
Kings of gaming. They have just an anomalous amount of sound stage. I'll still look over my shoulder thinking I heard something behind me. Probably my best "bang for your buck" purchase I've made, with EQ to tame the treble they sound pretty good as well. Prefer the above two for pure focused listening. For 230 on Thomann shipped to the US, a really great piece of gear. That same treble highlight makes these one of my favorite headphones to just passively have on my head to consume media as well (classes, twitch streams, youtube, ect) as voices sound very clear.

1000XM4s:
Noise cancelers. On my head most of the day with the low fi hip hop beats playlist going in the background as my girlfriend and I are both working from the same apartment. They're more of a focus tool than something I reach for to enjoy, but covering your use cases is important, and nothing travels quite as well as a pair of wireless headphones.

Future endeavors:
Thinking about getting a closed back as silence has become quite the rare commodity these days.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #7,172 of 8,115
Sennheiser HD660s: Overall my favorite headphone I've ever owned (even more than the HD800's I had). Good at everything. Not bad at anything. Separation and imaging is incredible.
Sennheiser HD58x: I'm a huge homer for these. Most people wouldn't have them this high, but the price to performance (for my needs) is amazing. I have two of these for different locations. I'd recommend them to anybody.
Sennheiser HD6xx: Might be my favorite headphone for music, but 50% of the time I use headphones for gaming and this is where they lag.
Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm: The only closed pair of headphones that I've kept over the years. My go-to headphone when things are too noisy.
Sennheiser HD598: The opposite of the 6xx. Amazing for gaming, but not as good for music.
Sennheiser HD600: The lack of soundstage and neutral sound put this further down the list for me than it would be for most.
HifiMan HE4xx: There's just something about these headphones that intrigues me. Strangely amazing for Diablo-like games. Would be much further up the list if comfort was better.

I've owned many other headphones, but these are the ones that have stayed with me.

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #7,173 of 8,115
(Added Focal Clear MG Professional, Nectar Audio Hive, Razer Opus)

Tier 1 - Almost like the headphones aren't there
Stax SR-009
(Has increased imaging and separation over the SR-007. Dynamics seem slightly better. Unmodded has "Stax fart" similar to modded SR-007A and I assume the original MK1.)
This is useful, thank you.

I've been out of headphones for over a decade, but also ascended to the top of Summit-Fi, at least at that time. I "retired", selling out of most everything, other than a few irreplaceable headphones. Didn't even realize Stax released a new SR Lambda, which is interesting.

But recently got bit by the bug, and picked up a HD800S and Audeze LCD-X just for fun and can't help but agree with your assessments (assuming the LCD-X is generally similar, though lower than the LCD-4). While the Audeze is pretty good, I'm surprised at how not transparent it is, at least relative to the highly transparent headphones you (and I) seem to favor.

The HD800S is also technically excellent, though to me, is overshadowed by the Qualia 010 and AKG-K1000. The HD800S, to me, seems to have less flaws than those two other headphones, but it also lacks the magic of the 3d-ness, the depth, of the soundstage and the extremeness of the detail/resolution of those other headphones.

But your general Tier-ing makes sense to me, based on the headphones I have owned/heard that are on the list.

I'm not really sure where I want to go with this. If I want the last word in transparency and resolution and soundstage, but with better comfort (my Qualia 010 has all those qualities, but the earpads means I can't use then while wearing glasses), it seems it's back to Stax and electrostatics. Maybe the L700mk2 or just go for it with the 009.

At the same time, there is something to be said about headphones that might not be technically amazing but just sound beautiful. The HD800S which while excellent just kinda bore me. Tempted to go all-in on a ATH-L3000 or W5000 rig.

Anyway, just some random thoughts. Thanks for sharing yours, it was very helpful.

-Jason

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #7,175 of 8,115
Hello All, I'm new to the hobby and slowly converting from full-size and bookshelf speakers to headphones (as kids and wife become less tolerant of my music). This is my first post on this forum.

My list:
1) Sennheiser HD 6XX - just got recently
2) Drop + Sennheiser PC38X
3) Audio Technica ATH-M50
4) Apple Airpod Pro

And I have on order the new Drop + Sennheiser HD 8XX - can't wait.

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #7,176 of 8,115
I love how Sennheiser 600/6XX/650/660 are still going strong and positioned high on the list for many and among other great headphones.

A true classic!

Feb 28, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #7,177 of 8,115
Total reshuffle as I wanted to come down to just 3 headphones.
1) Focal Stellia
2) Focal Utopia
3) HD800S

Feb 28, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #7,178 of 8,115
Total reshuffle as I wanted to come down to just 3 headphones.
1) Focal Stellia
2) Focal Utopia
3) HD800S
Why Stellia over Utopia? I prefer the Radiance to the Clear so may be a similar relationship, just a notch down.

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #7,179 of 8,115
Stellia is slightly warmer with more meat on the bone and the Utopia is more neutral with better resolution.
I prefer the Stellia because the bass gives the music a good foundation but in the end it is just personal preference.

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #7,180 of 8,115
Rank by sound quality only.

1) Pioneer SE-Monitor5 by a far margin
2) Sony MDR1-AM2 (modded earcup dampening and inserts to tame treble)
3) Sennheiser 58x (felt mod and swapped out to different open cell foam in the earcup)
4) AT-M40x (modded, Brainwaves AT earpds and earcup dampening)
5) Fostex T50rp Mk3 (Mayflower Mod, Brainwaves XL earpads)
6) Denon D1200

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #7,181 of 8,115
Headphones
1.Sony mdr-Z1R
2.Denon D9200
3.Senn HD800s
4.Foster Th909
5.Beyer T5 3rd

IEMs
1.Inear PP8s
2.Westone W4R
3.Sony M9
4.Sony ier-Z1R
5.Fitear EST
6.Westone W80
7.Sony Z5

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #7,185 of 8,115
I haven't played this in a long time (Sept. 2019). I only have one headphone remaining from my post back then.

My favourite headphones are:

1) Grado GH2's.
Amazing mids for guitars and vocals.

2) Focal Elex's.
W-shaped is a cool sound. Great highs, mids and bass.

3) Campfire Audio Cascades
Bass that goes on forever. The bassy closed backs that I have been hunting for years.

After that it is a variety of really likes:

4) Senn HD660's
My most transparent, neutral Headphone.

5) Senn HD6XX's
As they say, Amazing tube amp headphone.

6) Beyer DT880 (600 Ohms) Nice clear headphone, but Extremely power hungry.

7) Drop Edition XX's
Large sound stage and pretty bassy.

8) Audeze LCD-2 Classic's
Clear, full sound. A little bassy and recessed treble.

9) Fostex T60RP's (Currently in Pennsylvania for Argonization)
I found these surprisingly good for the price. Very articulate and good, sharp bass. Super curious about my future Argon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back