Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jan 10, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #5,657 of 8,131

As someone who also has Hifiman 400i's can you recommend closed-headphones in 400i price range ($300-500) that won't feel like a letdown? I need closed phones to listen to at night when I don't want to disturb someone in a neighboring room. I listen to classical music and some jazz, so I really like headphones that have good tonal separation and what in non-technical terms I'd call "presence." Also, what I like about the 400is is the slightly rolled off high frequencies. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #5,658 of 8,131

As someone who also has Hifiman 400i's can you recommend closed-headphones in 400i price range ($300-500) that won't feel like a letdown? I need closed phones to listen to at night when I don't want to disturb someone in a neighboring room. I listen to classical music and some jazz, so I really like headphones that have good tonal separation and what in non-technical terms I'd call "presence." Also, what I like about the 400is is the slightly rolled off high frequencies. Thanks.

THX00 ebony

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #5,659 of 8,131
Model Pros/Cons
LCD-3 Awesome base and tone/(physically heavy small sound stage)
HE1000 Ultra smooth sound/(Little light sounded)
HE-560 wonderful balance/(Mid sound little colored)
MDR-CD3000 sweet colored sound/(no bass and overall colored)
HD800 comfort and design all rounder/(little bright)
Audeze EL-8 superb built quality / (really bright)
Oppo PM3 nice portable headphone / (boring)
STAX 009 amazing details / (super bright) 
HD600 speakerish experience/(comfort issues)
HD650 little bit tighter bass from hd600 but less highs/(comfort issues)
Fostex t50rp mk3 for the money it's amazing/(need some tune)
AKG K501 one of my favorite akg!/(no bass)
ATH W5000 sticky high details/(super bright)
Grado SR325 punchy!/(super bright)
AKG K812 well balanced when it's properly sealed/(need proper seal to make right sound means hot need more bass)
AKG K701 neutral / (boring)
AKG k55x good build quality / (colored and little bright)
DT880(boring)
Any Beats product(too much bass)
Boss quitecomfort (too much bass)
Sony MDR100ABN/B(boring)
MDR-CD2000(cannot remember but was not so good)

Phew...hope i didn't miss any (added pros :))

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #5,662 of 8,131
LCD-3 (physically heavy small sound stage)
HE1000 (Little light sounded)
HE-560 (Mid sound little colored)
MDR-CD3000 (no bass and overall colored)
HD800 (little bright)
Audeze EL-8 (really bright)
Oppo PM3 (boring)
STAX 009 (super bright)
HD600(comfort issues)
HD650(comfort issues)
Fostex t50rp mk3 (need some tune)
AKG K501 (no bass)
ATH W5000(super bright)
Grado SR325(super bright)
AKG K812(need proper seal to make right sound means hot)
AKG K701(boring)
AKG k55x(colored and little bright)
DT880(boring)
Any Beats product(too much bass)
Boss quitecomfort (too much bass)
Sony MDR100ABN/B(boring)
MDR-CD2000(cannot remember but was not so good)

Phew...hope i didn't miss any

Do you own or have owned any headphones :headphones: you like :neutral_face:

Maybe try speakers?!?!!?

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #5,664 of 8,131
It's good to see I'm not the only one who have more than 10+ headphones.

I know the feeling
I also have 4 (HD800, K812, Elear and X2) and a lot of other gear (V850/V281, Mojoo, Luxman, power and NAS etc).
There is a good documentary (it is in Netflix) called  "MINIMALIST"

a MUST SEE for all the head-fi members in my opinion

I did bit of research reaching out to head-fi members for advice via PM system. These were the people who had high end gear like Chord Dave and also some guys having 6K+ dacs. The common thing I found is "no one is happy with what they have". In fact one person owing Chord Dave /LCD4 in his profile has a note- "of all headphones $20 ones from the ebay are the best" (please do not argue with me on this). Another friend who has upto $10k credit card debt with hifi gear said that he was much happier listening to $100 radio few years ago.

Our craving for more gear has made us slaves of the thing and miss the objective of this hobby in the first place "enjoyment"

It is good for all of us to reflect on what lost of crap and BS out here and we just get bogged down in trivial and day dream.

Before staring any arguments please note- Scientists say difference between male and female is less than 1% and we and all other animals say less than 5%. Now we argue on $500 Dac and $15000 Dac sound. It should be 0.000000001% when you consider the fact than difference between man and  women is <1%

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #5,665 of 8,131
It's good to see I'm not the only one who have more than 10+ headphones.

I know the feeling
I also have 4 (HD800, K812, Elear and X2) and a lot of other gear (V850/V281, Mojoo, Luxman, power and NAS etc).

I did bit of research reaching out to head-fi members for advice via PM system. These were the people who had high end gear like Chord Dave and also some guys having 6K+ dacs. The common thing I found is "no one is happy with what they have". In fact one person owing Chord Dave /LCD4 in his profile has a note- "of all headphones $20 ones from the ebay are the best" (please do not argue with me on this). Another friend who has upto $10k credit card debt with hifi gear said that he was much happier listening to $100 radio few years ago.

Our craving for more gear has made us slaves of the thing and miss the objective of this hobby in the first place "enjoyment"

It is good for all of us to reflect on what lost of crap and BS out here and we just get bogged down in trivial and day dream.

Before staring any arguments please note- Scientists say difference between male and female is less than 1% and we and all other animals say less than 5%. Now we argue on $500 Dac and $15000 Dac sound. It should be 0.000000001% when you consider the fact than difference between man and  women is <1%

Well I don't put my feelings on materialism, I enjoy them when I have them, when I don't I'm happy as well.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #5,666 of 8,131

I know the feeling

eh, I get a lot of enjoyment out of my system.  It's nowhere near the ultimate high end here.  Sure, some people are just acting out compulsive behavior and don't actually enjoy the music anymore.  I really do quite enjoy listening to music out of my systems.  I probably should sell some of the stuff I have, but that's more out of laziness in actually setting up the posting, figuring out how much I should ask for it, etc.  

I do put a lot of effort into my system, but it's all out of enjoyment.  And it isn't "gear" 99% of the time.  The vast majority of what has really taken my gear to the next level in the last few years has been software.  

So, I definitely dispute "no one is happy with what they have."  I am quite happy with what I have.  I do understand that there are some who buy gear more out of fear than enjoyment: fear that something is missing, fear that somebody else has a better system than they do, fear that if they don't buy this one interconnect then they're holding their system back and wasting money.  But yeah, not everybody is like that.  

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #5,667 of 8,131

eh, I get a lot of enjoyment out of my system.  It's nowhere near the ultimate high end here.  Sure, some people are just acting out compulsive behavior and don't actually enjoy the music anymore.  I really do quite enjoy listening to music out of my systems.  I probably should sell some of the stuff I have, but that's more out of laziness in actually setting up the posting, figuring out how much I should ask for it, etc.  

I do put a lot of effort into my system, but it's all out of enjoyment.  And it isn't "gear" 99% of the time.  The vast majority of what has really taken my gear to the next level in the last few years has been software.  

So, I definitely dispute "no one is happy with what they have."  I am quite happy with what I have.  I do understand that there are some who buy gear more out of fear than enjoyment: fear that something is missing, fear that somebody else has a better system than they do, fear that if they don't buy this one interconnect then they're holding their system back and wasting money.  But yeah, not everybody is like that.  

For me, music is the most important thing, without a vast collection of music that gives me happiness, comparing gear becomes very dull. Once I reach a certain peak of gear, the more important thing is finding even more music so I will be able to eternally enjoy my headphones with diverse music (rather than upgrading the gear to give the same music a new sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back