5. Audeze LCD2 (pre-fazor)
6. Denon AH-D5000
7. Koss ESP-950
8. Philips Fidelio X1
9. Sennheiser HD650
10. AKG K601
11. Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 ohm)
12. Shure SRH1840

HD800 + a Fostex TH are pretty awesome complimentary pairs :)

Mine is similar:

1. HD800S
2. THX00
3. AD2000x
4. Oppo PM3
5. Grado sr60e

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #5,509 of 8,115
1. Oppo PM-1
2. Sennheiser HD800
3. Oppo PM-3
4. Sennheiser Momentum M2 Wireless
5. NAD Viso HP-50
6. Sol Republic Master Tracks XC Calvin Harris edition
7. Jaybird X2

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #5,510 of 8,115
  1. Oppo PM-1
2. Sennheiser HD800
3. Oppo PM-3
4. Sennheiser Momentum M2 Wireless
5. NAD Viso HP-50
6. Sol Republic Master Tracks XC Calvin Harris edition
7. Jaybird X2

What places the PM-1 above the HD800 in your mind?

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #5,511 of 8,115

What places the PM-1 above the HD800 in your mind?

Good question. I freely admit that I'm a neophyte when it comes to high-end head-fi; I'd say I have a somewhat discerning ear but certainly not a trained one--I know enough to be able to tell the difference between sound that is warm, dark, muddy, bloated, dry, detailed, etc., but certainly not with the kind of precision or authority that some long-time head-fi'ers here on the board seem to be able to discern or describe.

With that said, there's no question that the HD800s shine and sparkle and reveal every detail in the source material, but personally I just find the PM-1s more fun to listen to. Some would likely accuse me of having an un/under-developed sense of appreciation for what I'm hearing, or that I'm not necessarily hearing the whole story when I spin up the PM-1s over the 800s--that may certainly be true. Sad to say, perhaps I'm simply not sensitive to all the things I'm supposed to be getting out of the 800s in the first place. For example, I can certainly hear the wide soundstage everyone raves about in the 800s, but I don't find that the narrower soundstage of the PM-1s really detracts from my enjoyment of the underlying tracks.

Certainly my musical tastes and listening environment don't lend themselves well to a bout of serious, critical listening to a bunch of high-rez audio files in the first place. But that's okay--I bought the HD800s in large part to see what all of the fuss was about and whether I could really tell there was that much of a difference over other offerings. And certainly there IS a huge difference in performance...but I tend to reach for a stack of CDs or my few SACDs/DVD-A titles more often than not just to have fun and get lost in the music, but not necessarily to critically dissect a recording or focus on every detail or nuance present in the bitstream which I get the sense (perhaps narrowly or naively so) is where the 800s are really more in their element. Again, maybe I'm missing the point or don't yet recognize it when it see it...

And...this might be a bit silly...I know lots of people gush about how comfortable they are, but in truth, I find the massive elephant-ear size of the 800s a bit disconcerting because there's SO much empty space between the pads and my ears. Perhaps I just can't get past what my brain tells me headphones are supposed to feel like on the head, but I routinely catch myself pulling off the 800s because I've had enough physically (not emotionally, not because the sound is fatiguing) and just want to sink into something that, to me, feels a bit more inviting and comfy.

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #5,512 of 8,115

Good question. I freely admit that I'm a neophyte when it comes to high-end head-fi; I'd say I have a somewhat discerning ear but certainly not a trained one--I know enough to be able to tell the difference between sound that is warm, dark, muddy, bloated, dry, detailed, etc., but certainly not with the kind of precision or authority that some long-time head-fi'ers here on the board seem to be able to discern or describe.

With that said, there's no question that the HD800s shine and sparkle and reveal every detail in the source material, but personally I just find the PM-1s more fun to listen to. Some would likely accuse me of having an un/under-developed sense of appreciation for what I'm hearing, or that I'm not necessarily hearing the whole story when I spin up the PM-1s over the 800s--that may certainly be true. Sad to say, perhaps I'm simply not sensitive to all the things I'm supposed to be getting out of the 800s in the first place. For example, I can certainly hear the wide soundstage everyone raves about in the 800s, but I don't find that the narrower soundstage of the PM-1s really detracts from my enjoyment of the underlying tracks.

Certainly my musical tastes and listening environment don't lend themselves well to a bout of serious, critical listening to a bunch of high-rez audio files in the first place. But that's okay--I bought the HD800s in large part to see what all of the fuss was about and whether I could really tell there was that much of a difference over other offerings. And certainly there IS a huge difference in performance...but I tend to reach for a stack of CDs or my few SACDs/DVD-A titles more often than not just to have fun and get lost in the music, but not necessarily to critically dissect a recording or focus on every detail or nuance present in the bitstream which I get the sense (perhaps narrowly or naively so) is where the 800s are really more in their element. Again, maybe I'm missing the point or don't yet recognize it when it see it...

And...this might be a bit silly...I know lots of people gush about how comfortable they are, but in truth, I find the massive elephant-ear size of the 800s a bit disconcerting because there's SO much empty space between the pads and my ears. Perhaps I just can't get past what my brain tells me headphones are supposed to feel like on the head, but I routinely catch myself pulling off the 800s because I've had enough physically (not emotionally, not because the sound is fatiguing) and just want to sink into something that, to me, feels a bit more inviting and comfy.

you don't have to defend your tastes.  Without "correcting" them, I definitely enjoy my HE400i more than my HD800.  When "corrected" however the raw technical ability of the HD800 starts to pull away.  

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #5,514 of 8,115
  1. Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6. I'd never have imagined that I would rate the most bass light, the smallest pair and a fashion conscience pair to be the very best I own. For listening pleasure and overall superior technicalities compared to my other pairs.
2. Sony MDR-Z7 / Sennheiser Momentum MK2. Both have their merrits, the Momentums because of their even tonality (let aside the bigger than neutral bass) and the MDR-Z7s for their 3D soundstage and seductive thick caramelic sound.
4. Denon ATH-D5000. Once I get in the 'zone' they are wonderful, but they sound less natural than the others. The Lawton pads I had to use (because the original pads were flaking) make the overall sound thinner, less bloomy, although the pads do add a speaker-like sensation to the sound.
5. Audio Technica ATH-A900X. Remains an excellent, 'easy listening' pair. But compared to the others they are more grainy textured and because of that more fatiguing after a while. Tonally they beat the D5000s though.

The H6 are great. Once I got over myself and actually set foot in a B&O store to try them out, the rest was easy :) Work so well amped and straight from a portable device.

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #5,515 of 8,115
The 1st generation BeoPlay H6 is (or was?) offered pretty cheap everywhere. I got mine for 199 Euro. The 2nd generation H6's MSRP is cheaper, 299 Euro (in Europe the least) than the 1st gen was, 399 euro
I don't think I get the new H6s, some say there isn't any difference, others say the bass is bigger but the mids are more recessed and others say the highs are further extended.
No need for all this, I like them as they are right now. If I want another flavor I put on my Momentums, or any other pair I own.

Off-topic: I am starting to appreciating my A900xs again. I took them for granted, so wrong. They are euphonic in an understated way, something in the low mids that is just magical.

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #5,516 of 8,115

Yeah, I have gen 1 and have no need to look at gen 2. I did swap in a new cable for mine. At the time I thought it increased volume. Who really knows? :) 

Jul 19, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #5,517 of 8,115
Since I have become desktop computer oriented

Grado 325i (modded). Pulled them out of storage and never knew how much I would like them for streaming videos. Pairs with my ifi iDac. Good all rounder for the time being.

Grado 125i (modded). Just for jazz.

Hifiman HE500. Too bulky for frequent use at my desk. ifi iDac does not have enough power for it.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #5,519 of 8,115
1. HD 800 modded
stock HD 800 is below HD 650 but wow mods really made the headphone amazing, it still requires the best recordings.

2. HD 650 modded
My favorite go to cans, I wish there was an HD 850.

3. MA 900 modded
fun headphone with a soundstage near HD 800.

4. Portapros
porta use, pro value

5. HD 518
I might give it away to a friend.

6. Apple earpods

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #5,520 of 8,115
All mine are budget level headphones.

1.  Creative Aurvana Live!
Easily my favorites, with a warm, mellow tone.  They work very nicely as a all purpose set, though I'm sure there are better headphones for sound stage.  I've worn mine so much I had to replace the original pads with some velour pads, but this hasn't changed its sound very much.  Not very durable, so treat them with care.

2.  Philips SHP9500
Haven't had these long, and have few complaints so far, but also few words of praise.  There is little bass extension, which many have noted before me.  In reality, it does nothing better than the Aurvana's other than having slightly cleaner sounding mid bass.  Still, they are a decent set for the $50 I paid for them.  Main physical weaknesses are the non-removable ear pads which are a little scratchy, and the loose fit.

3.  Koss Porta-Pro
I've modified mine to use Sennheiser HD 25-1 II velour pads.  They are a fine choice for portable use, despite the muddy bass.

4.  AKG K240 Mark II
These headphones have become my least favorite over several years of use.  The caps on the back cracked spontaneously, and it proved impossible to get replacements.  I use the velour pads.  Sound with these AKG's is a bit dull for most of my music, detached, and has no liveliness at all.  Reasonably good headphones for watching tv or movies, but I just don't use them often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back