Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Apr 11, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #7,216 of 8,131
1. Rosson Audio Design Rad-0: beautiful, intimate and plenty of detail (with EQ).
2. Sennheiser HD800: extremely comfortable and with the renowned soundstage truly has an unique sound.
3. Focal Clear: falls in between the above two headphones. Less detailed than HD800, less impact than RAD-0, less comfortable than HD800, smaller sounstage than HD800, worse timbre than RAD-0 and so forth...

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #7,217 of 8,131
1 - Audeze LCD-2 Classic
2 - EarFun Free Pro
3 - DROP - Sennheiser PC38X (headset)
4 - Grado SR80 (original)
5 - Samsung Galaxy Buds+
6 - Anbes 359

Subjective ranking, not based solely on sound quality. All in rotation, all with their purpose.

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #7,220 of 8,131
1. Sony MDR-Z1R - recently acquired this and oh boy do I love the signature, pure fun to listen to
2. Sennheiser HD800 - still clearer than the z1r for me but not as enjoyable.

3. Audeze LCD-X - looked for an opposite of the hd800 and that's exactly what this is. At least for me, it's too closed in and dark. Just not to my taste.

*the gap was intentional lol

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #7,222 of 8,131
Tier 1 - Almost like the headphones aren't there
Stax SR-009
(Has increased imaging and separation over the SR-007. Dynamics seem slightly better. Unmodded has "Stax fart" similar to modded SR-007A and I assume the original MK1.)

Tier 2 - Near perfect
Stax SR-007MK2
with Blu-Tack mod (like the SR-007A but with less "Stax fart" for some reason.)
Stax SR-007A with Blu-Tack mod ("Stax fart" a little annoying.)
*Stax SR-L700MK2 (VERY similar to Focal Clear. Has slightly more mid-bass impact, midrange is not quite as thick. Instruments seem slightly more separated. Soundstage slightly wider. Very similar to SR-007. Soundstage is a little wider on the SR-007 and it has more lower bass until you do the Blu-Tack mod which evens it out.)
Nectar Audio Hive (Similar to Stax SR-009 except is more forward sounding and not quite as "ethereal". Slightly more bass impact. Requires at least 400 V RMS energizer.)
I notice you mention the SR-L700Mk2. Have you heard the Mk1? If so, is there much of an audible difference? I've seen some people say they prefer the Mk1, but with no explanation, and it makes me curious.

And how would you rank the Hive when run from a more ordinary amplifier, such as one of the lower-ranking Stax amps? For example, SRM-T1S or SRM-1? Would a Stax Lambda-series headphone tend to be a better match for a lower powered amplifier, or would the Hive still be a good option?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #7,223 of 8,131
I notice you mention the SR-L700Mk2. Have you heard the Mk1? If so, is there much of an audible difference? I've seen some people say they prefer the Mk1, but with no explanation, and it makes me curious.

And how would you rank the Hive when run from a more ordinary amplifier, such as one of the lower-ranking Stax amps? For example, SRM-T1S or SRM-M1?

I haven't heard the MK1, but from what I understand, all they did was make the cables detachable and made the yokes out of metal instead of plastic to increase clamping force/seal to provide better bass extension, both positives.

I actually just dropped the Hive a tier after listening to it on a not-so-Godly amplifier (SRM-717 instead of KGSSHV). It's still really good but loses some dynamics and extension. I'd pick the SR-L700MK2 over it though just because it will have better ergonomics, reliability, and soundstage.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #7,224 of 8,131
I only own 2 so this is going to be a short list:

1. Hifiman Arya 2020 edition
2. Focal Clear (Original)

But a very, very respectable short list :).

Apr 17, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #7,225 of 8,131
Kennerton Thekk...my all time favorite. So comfortable. So clean and clear. Great all arounder!
Hifiman HE1000SE...Great stage, very clear. Just got them but they could go up or down this list with more time.
ZMF Verite Open....Musical, beautiful, love that the sound changes so much with pad rolling.

Upcoming ... just ordered the Kennerton Rognir....where will it rank?

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #7,226 of 8,131
Focal Clear MG
Sennheiser HD800s

Apr 18, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #7,227 of 8,131
I haven't heard the MK1, but from what I understand, all they did was make the cables detachable and made the yokes out of metal instead of plastic to increase clamping force/seal to provide better bass extension, both positives.

I actually just dropped the Hive a tier after listening to it on a not-so-Godly amplifier (SRM-717 instead of KGSSHV). It's still really good but loses some dynamics and extension. I'd pick the SR-L700MK2 over it though just because it will have better ergonomics, reliability, and soundstage.
Thanks for your response. One other question about your ranking: you rate all of the SR-009, SR-007Mk2 and SR-L700Mk2 very highly, but you give your "highly recommended" star to just the L700 among these three. Is that because it is easier to match with an amplifier, perhaps? Or maybe because you don't consider the performance difference to be worth the price difference?

After some time with dynamic and planar headphones I've recently been very impressed with some original Stax Lambdas and I'm trying to decide which way to jump if I explore new ones. Where I am there isn't much difference in price between L700s and 007s but I understand that the 007 tends to need some high-end amplification. If I'm needing to cheap out slightly on the amp for now would the L700 be the better bet? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #7,228 of 8,131
Thanks for your response. One other question about your ranking: you rate all of the SR-009, SR-007Mk2 and SR-L700Mk2 very highly, but you give your "highly recommended" star to just the L700 among these three. Is that because it is easier to match with an amplifier, perhaps? Or maybe because you don't consider the performance difference to be worth the price difference?

After some time with dynamic and planar headphones I've recently been very impressed with some original Stax Lambdas and I'm trying to decide which way to jump if I explore new ones. Where I am there isn't much difference in price between L700s and 007s but I understand that the 007 tends to need some high-end amplification. If I'm needing to cheap out slightly on the amp for now would the L700 be the better bet? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Yeah, the 007 is harder to drive by like 6 dB or so.

The sound difference is very small between the L700 and the others I put in my "Tier 2" rank and the L700 makes up for it in being cheaper, not having elastic that will wear out, and having detachable cables.

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #7,229 of 8,131
1- DC Aeon RT (after 140 hours burn-in, source mb pro)
2- Audeze LCD-X (sold due to driver fail)
3- Sennhesier HD 58X (bought twice, will buy 3 if lost or gifted)

X2hr, mdr1am2 were good cans i’ve previosly owned but they weren’t competitive enough to make me want to keep them.

as far as iems, owned dozen.

1- airpods pro. They nailed fr and ease of use is just on another level. Rest of iems doesn’t matter anymore to me.

Apr 19, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #7,230 of 8,131
Kennerton Thekk...my all time favorite. So comfortable. So clean and clear. Great all arounder!
Hifiman HE1000SE...Great stage, very clear. Just got them but they could go up or down this list with more time.
ZMF Verite Open....Musical, beautiful, love that the sound changes so much with pad rolling.

Upcoming ... just ordered the Kennerton Rognir....where will it rank?

How is the Kennertons soundstage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back