Rank the Headphones that You Own.
May 13, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #6,601 of 8,115
Only headphones I had rather good experience with, no really short listening impressions here.

Realy raw thingy, I don't usually group stuff this way, but based on details I think that it would be hard for me to say exactly how I'd rank them.

I have a rough idea though.

1. HIFIMAN He6SE = Kennerton Thror = Audeze LCD-MX4 = Crosszone CZ-1 = HIFIMAN Arya
2. Beyerdynamic Amiron = HIFIMAN Sundara = Verum One = LCD-2C
3. Sennheiser HD660S = Brainwavz Alara = Ultrasone Signature Studio = Ultrasone Signature DXP = Adam SP-5
4. Brainwavz HM100
5. Mooh Headphones = Bluedio Turbine T3

May 13, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #6,602 of 8,115
Only headphones I had rather good experience with, no really short listening impressions here.

Realy raw thingy, I don't usually group stuff this way, but based on details I think that it would be hard for me to say exactly how I'd rank them.

1. HIFIMAN He6SE = Kennerton Thror = Audeze LCD-MX4 = Crosszone CZ-1 = HIFIMAN Arya
3. Sennheiser HD660S = Brainwavz Alara = Ultrasone Signature Studio = Ultrasone Signature DXP = Adam SP-5
4. Brainwavz HM100

Crosszone CZ-1? You must be the only owner of that headphone in all of Europe :wink:

May 14, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #6,603 of 8,115
Crosszone CZ-1? You must be the only owner of that headphone in all of Europe :wink:

I would rank the crosszone amongst the worst headphones that I have heard.

May 14, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #6,605 of 8,115
ouch LOL

did such a comment come after listnening to the Diana Phi? =P

Someone had a crosszone at a meet and I literally listened for about 20 seconds and couldn't do any more. I felt bad about it but I asked him what he thought about the cans and he said it was his biggest regret of headphone purchases. I then told him my thoughts on them. I think he bought them for full retail and ended up selling them for about $700

May 14, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #6,606 of 8,115
Someone had a crosszone at a meet and I literally listened for about 20 seconds and couldn't do any more. I felt bad about it but I asked him what he thought about the cans and he said it was his biggest regret of headphone purchases. I then told him my thoughts on them. I think he bought them for full retail and ended up selling them for about $700

oh shiet man..=X

May 14, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #6,607 of 8,115

I don't know what to say, they are a bliss for Classical music. Quite literally, I know at least 3 owners, who use them exclusively for classical, and who told me they're in love with them :)

I would rank the crosszone amongst the worst headphones that I have heard.

They really are best only for classical, if you listen to something else, or if you're not giving them enough power, they don't sound very good.

But you haven't heard bad headphones if you think CZ-1 is bad, there's some weird stuff out there, and CZ-1 really is not bad, maybe not fit for any musical style, but if you're listening to classical, they're a sweet delicacy if you ask me :)

May 14, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #6,608 of 8,115
How I'm currently feeling about my collection:

1. ZMF Eikon
2. Grado GH1 with G-Cush
3. Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Closed
4. Sennheiser HD580
5. Beyerdynamic DT1770
6. Meze 99 Classics
7. Sennheiser HD650
8. Audeze Mobius

May 15, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #6,609 of 8,115
Headphones currently in my posession:

1. Stax SR-009S. Great headphone with slightly wonky tonal balance.
2. Stax SR-X MK3. Amazing though slightly forward tonal balance. My favorite headphone tonally without EQ.
3. Hifiman HE-6 (6 screw). Great allrounder with too much 2k recession and too forward top end without modding.
4. Stax SR-507. This sounds pretty horrible honestly, tonal balance is completely wack, bass is very good for a lambda though.

Headphones I have had in my posession recently:

1. Stax SR-009S. See above.
2. Stax SR-L700/AKG K1000. L700 has a pretty nice and even tonality but meh bass and comfort due to the screwy headband. AKG K1000 is incredibly forward and in no way tonally correct but manages to sound superb anyway, unlike most headphones.
4. Stax SR-X MK3. See above
5. Hifiman HE-6 (6 screw). See above
6. MrSpeakers Ether Flow. Underwhelming for the price but I wouldn't call it bad per se. Mostly feels lacking in dynamics (overdamped?). Tonality might be too bright for some.
7. Stax SR-L300/SR-507. Both these sound wonky.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #6,611 of 8,115

4. Brainwavz HM100

In the second tier, how would you break down that ranking? More specifically, how would you compare the Verum One to the Sundara?

May 16, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #6,612 of 8,115
In the second tier, how would you break down that ranking? More specifically, how would you compare the Verum One to the Sundara?

A lot of people are asking about that

I personally use Sundara more

Alara : larger headband, won't fit small heads. Less tight fit. Thicker sound, more full sound, fuller and more lush voices, great with classical and with being forward in the midrange. smooth treble, thick and enhanced bass

Sundara: More comfortable for most heads, albeit it sits tighter on the head. Lighter. Harder to drive. Thinner sounding. More splashy (a positive thing). Larger soundstage, more instrument separation. Harder to drive. Brighter tonality. More tight and less enhanced bass, I prefer this because it also goes deeper despite being lower in amount.

If both are fed from the same DAC/AMP, or DAP, both are outstanding. If you like a thick midrange, and a lush sound with smooth treble go Alara, if you like a thinner, more neutral sound, with more soundstage and with a more linear response, go Sundara.

You really can't go wrong with either, I have friends who immediately bought Alara after hearing my pair, but I also have friends who have Sundara, both are great headphones, just tuned differently.

Also, both are very reliable :)

May 16, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #6,613 of 8,115
How I'm currently feeling about my collection:

1. ZMF Eikon
2. Grado GH1 with G-Cush
3. Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Closed
4. Sennheiser HD580
5. Beyerdynamic DT1770
6. Meze 99 Classics
7. Sennheiser HD650
8. Audeze Mobius
A bit relieved to see you rank the 1770 above the Meze 99. I liked the Meze Noir quite a bit and was sad to sell them but I did it to help fund the new 177X and I couldn’t justify keeping both. Hope I didn’t make a bad decision there lol.

May 19, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #6,615 of 8,115
best headphones i own/owned and i heard

1 stax 007 mk2
2 hifiman he1000se followed by he1000v2
3- audeze mx4 and 4z
4 meze empyrean
5 stax l300le and jade 2
6 hifiman he x v2
7 beyerdynamic 1 2nd gen
8 lcd x
9 zmf atticus
10 lcd 2